Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Have you ever smoked or smoked and quit or do you smoke now?

Voters
194. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have never, ever smoked a cigarette.

40 20.62%
  • I smoked a few and then stopped

32 16.49%
  • I smoked several years and then stopped a few years ago

50 25.77%
  • I smoked many years and stopped recently

27 13.92%
  • I smoke now but am considering stopping.

9 4.64%
  • I smoke now and have tried to stop but I can't

7 3.61%
  • I smoke and do not plan to quit - ever

2 1.03%
  • Some other option

27 13.92%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some will get "away" with it and some won't. My dad quit when he was in his 50's and lived to 78 when bladder cancer finally got him. They said his earlier smoking probably contributed to the the cancer that later claimed him. Then of course there are those who never smoked and still get cancer. I suppose you should consider yourself lucky if you have never been a user or an addict and if you have to consider yourself fortunate for each day you avoid the awful things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwrobe1
    Pardon me for not being 50+ but, I quit on Monday...no joke. I'm 72+ hours w/o a cig. I gotta say...it feels good.
    You go guy!

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do think it's interesing, possibly a little shocking, that so many college age kids smoke today. A ride around local college campuses tells me a lot. Damn near every kid I saw had the same three items: Some books, a cell phone, and a cigarette. I live outside Boston, so we have plenty of colleges around.

No gender breakdown, the numbers of smoking college kids seems even among males and females.

Anyone care to speculate?
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started smoking at 9 and went full time by 11. Used my Dad's camel non-filters until he caught me and made me bye my own. I stopped smoking about 5 years ago and am now 54.

It was very hard for me to quit smoking but I did, I just hope I never smoke again.

I don't hate smoking, that's part of the problem, I enjoyed it. I do like being healthy and don't want the same sort of death my Dad endured.

I have little respect for people who say "I have little respect for people who claim they can't stop".
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso

My Bikes
    A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My biggest regret - well, OK, I've got some other doozies. I started smoking at 16 because I had also just taken up pot and my "friend" assured me that Kools would take care of the burning throat the dope was causing. I quit cold turkey at 26, and haven't touched one since. Thank God. But I still wonder if ten years of steady smoking is going to come back and bite me on the ass (lung) one day. And the pot? Quit that, too. Been there, done that.

My Bikes
    (see http://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grew up in a household where both my parents smoked. I started smoking when I was 14 and gave up 4 years later. I haven't touched a cigarette since.

- Wil
    "" - Marcel Marceau

My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen. I smoked for about 14 years, about 1.5 packs/day, which treanslates to a little under 20 pack-years. I'm not proud of that, but I did quit in '81- got a 25-year anniversary coming up in November!

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitso

I have little respect for people who say "I have little respect for people who claim they can't stop".
    And I don't blame you. The same thang that drove me to quit smoking was the same thang that led me to not just ride bikes, but race them, and leads to all sorts of belligerent behavior rationalized as "meeting challenges." They gave me a psycho test to see if I was fit for management a few years back, and I scored 10 on competitiveness and zero on compassion. And I realize now that the sad part was I was quite proud of it. My life has been a continual testing of myself - can I ride 100 miles? Can I quite smoking cold turkey? Can I ride 3000 meters in under four minutes? Can I get on the podium in this or that race? Can I get into graduate business school and get the MBA? Can I pass the national exam and become a certified management accountant?

But I'm now involved with an older woman who is a lover, mentor, and muse, who is little by little getting me to be more compassionate and understanding of others. So, one more challenge to overcome, but I think this one may do me some good.

Anyway, thanks for trying to get guys like me to understand the difficulty of quitting smoking. Man, I'm just glad I wasn't a German in the 30's. I woulda been conned into becoming a Nazi for sure... (and I really hate those guys.)

- L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    takes all kinds.

My Bikes
    Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a "bar" smoker. I seldom bought cigarettes. I'd bogue them from my Buds at the bar. Then to even things up, once in a while, I'd buy them a pack.

This went on for a number of years. I'd wake up in the morning with the jitters, and wouldn't smoke again for a week or two. Then I'd repeat the process.
    Jim
    Make a BOLD Statement While Cycling!

My Bikes
    Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil Davis
    I grew up in a household where both my parents smoked. I started smoking when I was 14 and gave up 4 years later. I haven't touched a cigarette since.

- Wil
    You're a rare breed. Most people who started that young, end up lifetime smokers. Congrats on you will power.
    Jim
    Make a BOLD Statement While Cycling!

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a good and free support site for quitting smoking. Quite a few bike riders there also. http://www.quitsmokingjournals.com
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya never know 'til ya try littledog's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quitting smoking is hard. Staying quit is even harder,at least for me.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mycousin, a physician, told about addiction research studying the protoreceptors in our brains: the ones that fire off when we ingest something that makes us feel better (i.e. feed an addiction). Yes, I realize this is a completely unscientific description - anyway, he said that researchers found that heroin addicts couldn't get the same high after they'd been clean for awhile - it took several times to get back to their expected 'high'. Same with alcohol. But for nicotine, the brain's receptors fired right up no matter how long they'd been dormant (i.e. you had been a non-smoker) and the brain chemistry response was instantaneous, like you'd never quit. Nicotine is one of the MOST addictive substances known to humankind. The nicotine in tobacco has been used/abused for a long long long time. Quitting is hard, staying quit takes more discipline than I've yet been able to muster.

Maybe we ought to try a BF 50+ smoking cessation support group? I've certainly tried everything else...including acupuncture. Being supported via this forum would be about as reasonable as any other format...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Schwinn MTB/Raleigh Marathon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK...I'm almost at a week now with no cigs. Haven't tore anyones head off and I haven't gained any weight. Looks like its all downhill from here now. I still gotta remind myself that I "just can't have one".
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, 1/2 a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I HATE smoking - don't all past smokers?!
    No. I smoked for 30 years, quit 16 years ago, and other people smoking around me doesn't bother me at all...in fact, I find the smell of the smoke pleasant. But I don't have any urge at all to smoke, myself.

I had tried to quit several times without success, but when I did finally quit, it was easy. The method I used worked very well, but I do not recommend it! I had hurt my foot, and couldn't get to the store to buy cigarettes when I ran out. Since I had a 3 pack a day habit, I ran out rather quickly. The pain in the foot took my mind off the pain of quitting, and by the time I could get around again, I was over the withdrawal problems.
    Last edited by deraltekluge; 09-25-06 at 07:25 AM.

My Bikes
    Schwinn MTB/Raleigh Marathon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deraltekluge
    ...and other people smoking around me doesn't bother me at all...in fact, I find the smell of the smoke pleasant. But I don't have any urge at all to smoke, myself.
    +1 to that.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, 1/2 a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I smoked for seventeen years, quit for thirteen years, smoked for five years, and quit for good.

The first time, I started and stopped smoking for the same reason -- it was cool. When I started, it was cool to smoke and be just like my friends, and by the time I stopped, it was not cool to smoke and I still wanted to be just like my friends!

Then a nasty divorce messed up my brain; I started dating someone who smoked, i tried one to see what it would be like, and it took five years to stop again. (The relationship only lasted several months... )

I'm a member of the 3% club: I successfully quit on New Year's Eve nearly three years ago, I have no problems with it, hate the smell of smoke nowadays but that's rarely an issue. Only 3% of the people who try to quit on New Year's Eve (you know, making a resolution) actually succeed.

Funny story -- during my first seventeen year smoking period, a psychologist friend of mine opened a smoking cessation clinic. He asked me if I'd be interested in taking the phone call inquiries and helping get people to sign up. The reward was I could go through the program for free.

I went through the program; failed; pretended to him I'd suceeded, and for several months took the phone calls from prospective clients, even secretly smoking while talking to them on the phone. I finally got a conscience and 'fessed up to him. I did steer quite a few people his way -- but his program never quite worked for me, except I remember to this day one of his sayings (and this helped on New Year's Eve): How many years are you going to smoke to avoid three weeks of discomfort?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I be a chaperon in the 50+ forum? I like it here...

Anyho, started smoking at 15 and quit by age 23 (Christmas 1993). I simultaneosuly caught the flu and bronchitis and thought I was going to die. Required a puffer to breath. The hacking cough at night lasted for a very long time.

Drank and lot of water and began shift working with some violent, anti-smokers shortly after quitting. I was crushed when all my smoking buddies didn't quit with me.

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smoked in high school and into the Navy a few years. Then started cycling... figured it was cycling or smoking... I quit smoking. That was well more than 25 years ago.

My Bikes
    Bianchi Milano Nexus 8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I smoked a pack a day for about 30 years. I've gone 2-3 years without smoking. I've never found a cure for the desire so I go back to using Commit losenges for months at a time. It is a terrible habit.
    I miss bicycle commuting.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started smoking at 16 to be cool. Kept it up until I was 24 when I was smoking 2 packs of Kool 100s a day. I quit cold turkey on smoke-out day in 1979 and haven't had a cigarrette since. Actually I used a substitute for a week or two that I could not use in these days of random urine testing. I went through about a lb. of cheap home grown and got so sick of that that I quit that too. I remember having a hard time for the first year, sometimes dreaming that I had started smoking again and waking up feeling guilty. I had occasional urges to smoke for about 5 years. Since then I can't imagine how I could have ever had such a filthy habit. I can't stand to be around it.
    I do enjoy a cigar occasionally, maybe 4 or 5 a year on camping trips or while staying up all night drinking whiskey and cooking a hog.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    some will get "away" with it and some won't. My dad quit when he was in his 50's and lived to 78 when bladder cancer finally got him. They said his earlier smoking probably contributed to the the cancer that later claimed him. Then of course there are those who never smoked and still get cancer. I suppose you should consider yourself lucky if you have never been a user or an addict and if you have to consider yourself fortunate for each day you avoid the awful things.
    My father smoked a long time and contracted emphasema suffered for a decade and finally died from heart failure.

And yet there were two men at my yacht club who lived exemplary lives sailing in fresh air, exercising and eating right. They BOTH contracted emphasema and suffered for many years until heart failure took them as well.

Life is a crap shoot all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    drove past a group of men sitting in a parking lot...all smoking. I think it might have been an AA group. The smell was overpowering, even outside.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast