Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Dowtube mini with internal hub
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tricycle for geezers?

My mother, at age 79, has gotten the bug to start riding a bike, having never learned as a child. She thinks a tricycle might be just ticket, as her balance isn't great. Does anyone know of a trike that might work for her? I'm guessing that it should have multiple speeds and be as light as can be.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to check these out. A good number of folks in two large retirement communities near me use these. Keep in mind, however, that if she's like most 50+ BF members she'll want something lighter, and faster next year.

http://www.islandsportshop.com/Works...Lite_Trike.htm
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe she should go motorized. Here's a link. http://www.electric-bikes.com/trikes.htm

By the way - is that a Kuvasz?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to find one that's not junk--my dad was active all his life, but he had joint problems in his last years so it was hard for him to walk far enough to stay fit, and his balance wasn't good enough for him to ride a two-wheeler safely. We looked all over for a decent trike, but they were all heavy, stodgy, poorly made, on a par with $99.95 department store bikes. he didn't mind the weight so much (he was riding for exercise anyway), but the quality was so low the things were just offensive. It pissed us both off that somebody would pass them off as real, usable vehicles, plus they have limited adjustability and he was 6'2", so fit was a problem. He eventually bought a junker that he rarely used
    Epinions has some reviews on a number of adult trikes. I haven't checked them out, but it's a place to start: http://www.epinions.com/bike-Bicycle...dult_tricycles

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex
    Maybe she should go motorized. Here's a link. http://www.electric-bikes.com/trikes.htm

By the way - is that a Kuvasz?

Thanks for the ideas, Terex. I don't think motorized is what she wants because she'd like to get some exercise. I really like the Personal Activity Vehicle (PAV3), but at a $729 starting price it's a bit expensive, no?

Nope, she's a Golden Retriever. You don't often see the "cream" Golden because the AKC doesn't recognize the color, and therefore it can't be shown, so breeders avoid it. I got her from Kyon Kennels outside of Toronto, where they're not so picky about color.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips, NOS88 and Velo. I'll check them out.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folding trike from the "Advertise Your Services Thread"
    JM X2 Folding Trike

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worksman trikes are renound for being very strong and very heavy (60lbs+). This is hardly ideal for a little old lady.
    You need to look for a British light touring trike or trike conversion kit.
    Check out the links at the tricycle association

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelW
    Worksman trikes are renound for being very strong and very heavy (60lbs+). This is hardly ideal for a little old lady.
    You need to look for a British light touring trike or trike conversion kit.
    Check out the links at the tricycle association
    My son, who has a developmental disability, loves riding his Worksman, He doesn't go fast (about a fast walking pace), but he gets out on the trail and thoroughly enjoys. For some folks, a Worksman CAn be the answer. It also folds, which helps in transporting. It does not weigh 60 lbs.

Here is a new model I have not seen before

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-21-06 at 06:54 AM.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    My son, who has a developmental disability, loves riding his Worksman, He doesn't go fast (about a fast walking pace), but he gets out on the trail and thoroughly enjoys. For some folks, a Worksman CAn be the answer. It also folds, which helps in transporting. It does not weigh 60 lbs.

Here is a new model I have not seen before
    Dnvr, this "new" model is the Worksman PAV (personel activity vehicle) that is a variation of the
    tough as nails Worksman Mover industrial trikes. I own a yellow PAV 3 speed that I really enjoy
    using in place of my cars for all my in town utility duty. The quality of all Worksman is first rate
    with robustness of build being foremost in all that they build. That said the PAV isn't for a frail
    person such as a lady. The better choice is one the Worksman from this link. The Portotrike is
    very light for older folk's that are not clydesdales as I am. Selelct a 3 speed to ensure that the
    pedal effort it not to high so the lady can ride it with ease.

http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s...ulttrikes.html
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woofman
    My mother, at age 79, has gotten the bug to start riding a bike, having never learned as a child. She thinks a tricycle might be just ticket, as her balance isn't great. Does anyone know of a trike that might work for her? I'm guessing that it should have multiple speeds and be as light as can be.

Like this?

http://www.easyracers.com/ez_3.htm

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Artkansas]Like this?

I LOVE it, but at $729 it's a wee bit steep. I'm hoping to find one ~$500.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To quote Bill and Ted...
    "That's your Mom dude!"

Think of all she sacrificed for you.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 09-22-06 at 09:32 AM.

Ya never know 'til ya try littledog's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Cruiser Deluxe Trek 820 MTB Trek 7300FX Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of these trikes may be in the near future for me. Arthritis in my back and neck is making it hard to ride some days. I am (only) 54 but sometimes it feels like a lot more I have seen several of them around town and talked to an owner of one who is very happy with it So I definitely see a recumbent in my future. As I don't have a car the carrying capacity of a rear basket would be very handy so I think a trike is the way to go.

Ironically I bought my first good road bike bike this year- a Sequoia Elite- and immediately thereafter the arthritis kept me from doing any long rides. So I hope to sell it and use the money towards the trike and stick to shorter rides.

littledog

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to rain on the "Easyracer" trike but for an older person the "ease of use"
    is VERY important. That is why a 3 speed hub trike is best. A derailler trike
    is lots of shifting that most old folks of 79 years might not like much. Where
    a 3 speed is "low, medium & high" which is easy for your mom to understand.

Keep it simple and fun for your mom , mate. She'll love you for it.

Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad
    Not to rain on the "Easyracer" trike but for an older person the "ease of use"
    is VERY important. That is why a 3 speed hub trike is best. A derailler trike
    is lots of shifting that most old folks of 79 years might not like much. Where
    a 3 speed is "low, medium & high" which is easy for your mom to understand.

Keep it simple and fun for your mom , mate. She'll love you for it.
    Ultimately, it's his Mom's choice. We don't want to go making too many assumptions about what she does or doesn't want. But it's good to offer a range of choices.

To me the big benefit was that it looked like the Easyracer might be a bit lighter and the recumbent position easier to pedal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Nope, she's a Golden Retriever." - A pretty girl. We had both a Kuvasz (male) and then a female Golden. The Kuvasz was like a 140#, all white, super-sized Golden. Our Golden was the traditional U.S. color - gold. The Brits/Euros really go for the non-golden Goldens.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see your point, Artkansas, the Easyracer would be comfy once she's into it, but I'm gonna have to agree with Tightwad that getting in and out might be problematic, and lead to frustration (and therefore it won't get used).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woofman
    I see your point, Artkansas, the Easyracer would be comfy once she's into it, but I'm gonna have to agree with Tightwad that getting in and out might be problematic, and lead to frustration (and therefore it won't get used).
    You know your Mom better than Tightwad or I do. I just wanted to caution him on making assumptions about our parents. Some are spry and eager to learn, others are not. You know her best.

My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 66, and I'm trying to recover from tearing up my knee falling off my mountain bike...my physical
    therapist and I thought that a trike would be good exercise, so I bought a Sun EZ-3 AX to ride.

It's kind of heavy (about 50 lbs), and kind of expensive (about $1500), but it was working well for me...
    much more fun than pedaling a stationary bike while staring at a wall. It has lots of gears with a wide
    range, and shifting is easy. Unfortunately, I got to ride only about 20 miles total before it was stolen!
    Last edited by deraltekluge; 09-22-06 at 08:47 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deraltekluge

Unfortunately, I got to ride only about 20 miles total before it was stolen!
    That is why I've insured my Worksman PAV for full value on my homeowners insurance.
    Cost is a very reasonable $63 a year. (17.2 cents a day)

My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For folks not aware: Local bicycle legend Sheldon Brown has been experiencing some health issues for some time, and it has limited his cycling activity. However, he is riding about on a Greenspeed Tricycle. Have a link I have not tried one, but I have seen a few around. They are supposed to be great for people who have back problems, arthritis, etc.

Now the bad news: The Greenspeed trikes are very expensive. If you want a trike and can afford one of these, they might be worth considering.
    Last edited by trackhub; 09-24-06 at 01:23 PM.
    "The Universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on a government contract." Robert A. Heinlein

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried to stay off this thread but I came across what may be the ideal compromise for you today. A handicapped lad in our town has a new bike. Fully conventional bike but with big- beefy stabilisors on it. Obviously made by someone that knows what is required but these were professionally made. No pictures or better description- but the wheels were about 6" diameter and the stays were bolted to the Chain and seat stays. Won't be any good offroad so won't help keeping me upright, but Worth a mention to your local friendly Engineering shop if you have one.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is why I've insured my Worksman PAV for full value on my homeowners insurance.
    My renter's insurance covered it with a $500 deductible without my having had to make any declaration or pay any extra premium. But because it was a new purchase, the credit card I used covers up to $500, so I'm going to get total purchase price back (including sales tax).

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What credit card does that?

Glad to hear you got all your $ back. So, will you buy another bike like the one which was stolen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast