Thread: Over Training?

My Bikes
    2010 Allegra 2X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over Training?

I suppose someone could be "over training" even thought I'm not training for anything. Just enjoying the ride, time in my cardio zone.

The last week or so, my heart rate average has been dropping, but I'm felling like I'm working harder to just do the ride.

Is this a sign of over training? I only rode 5 times last week, 15.7 miles each ride. And only 3 times so far this week.

What gives?

Imput or advice is welcome, and asked for!
    2010 Jamis Allegra 2X
    God loves you, and God loves me, Even if I do cause his over time!

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard that a higher resting heart rate when you wake in the morning may indicate over training. As to whether 5 days at 15.7 is too much, it depends on what you generally do, if you normally do this distance in a week then maybe your just having a down cycle which happens. If that is the case I bet you keep riding and next week everything will be fine.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's lotz of commenting on 'overtraining' on BF. a search will come up with more food for thought than one could possibly put into one post. I'll just add some other things worth consideration. Plateauing is well documented and can be part of or account for many times when we might feel 'stuck'.
    For me another consideration is always the cyclical way my body reacts. Meaning that over a period of a year, my body reacts to different times of the year in different ways, unless I do some very specific things to 'change' that. For example, I know that commonly during Aug & Sep I might be in a 'conditioning 'low' point, regardless of how well conditioned I might be going into that period and how hard I work at not slumping during this period - it just happens. The by early November I've gotten a 'third' wind. There are lotz of other subtle things that happen during the year. Might also be a factor for you...
    Changing work habits, sleep time, diet over the months and seasons also has great affect.
    5 rides, 15.7 miles each - is it the same 'circuit'? too much of the same, same?
    often something like what you describe is 'early warning' for me of some systemic thing that comes on a week or later...
    lotz to consider

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd encourage you to mix up your routine for a week and see if it helps. Maybe take one day and ride a 10 mile time trial, another day and pick a low gear to stay in the whole ride and spin your way through it, or another day of intervals... you get the idea.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright