Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride in the fog

Started out the other morning on my 40 miler to work at 06:00. About 5 miles in the ride I hit a fog blanket. Now as a rule I don't mind riding in the fog but on this occassion riding on a major highway on a weekday from Beer Sheva to Eilat with a foot wide shoulder in some places - that's a whole nother can of beans. Well I stuck pretty close to the extreme right side of the shoulder all the way up to a junction where I make a left. Scariest left I can remember, a truck driver bearing down in the opposite direction didn't have his lights on and I almost made a left right into his path - whew. Luckily the fog lifted on the other side of the hill range and I had clear sailing for the last 15 miles or so.
    Later that day I heard there was a fatal accident on that same section of road (a bit further south) - about the same time I was there.
    Well I've got a few prayers to make.
    Y'all take care

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fog can be nasty stuff. Sorry to hear of the fatal accident, and also glad to hear that you made it through safely. I'm always amazed at the number of drivers in the U.S. that don't seem to slow down for anything, heavy fog, snow, drenching down pours.... they just seem to keep pushing that gas pedal to the floor. Is it the same in Israel?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dread cycling or driving in heavy fog, primarily because, as NOS88 noted, so many folks violate the Basic "no faster than is safe and prudent" Speed Law.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another reason for riding offroad. Road riding in fog is a no-no.

Must have been 10 years ago and me and My regular riding partner took a couple of youngsters out on the hills in the fog. Got to a 3 mile stretch on the top of the hills and decided to let the youngsters lead us out and find the trail- Very easy to follow a trail in fog if you know what to look for- Sheep tracks- tyre tracks- etc. However- these two lads got hoplessly lost for 1 hour- going round and round in circles in this area. Eventually me and my mate decided we had had enough and took them off the hill. 5 minutes later and we were just as lost as the lads. Eventually we decided to follow the old Mountain rule of following the streams as they always run downhill and get you off the mountain. But no Streams. We had lost them aswell. We were hopelessly lost. Just in time we had our reputations saved as the sun broke through and we were only 100yards from where we wanted to get to.

It does not matter what you do in fog. Trucks and cars will get you in the end. Unless you are offroad and then it is the tractors.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fog is extremely rare in my area. However, I can occasionally see the clouds on the mountains nearby. Occasionally I'll ride up into the clouds. No different than riding in fog really, I suppose. It just amuses me to ride in the clouds.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always enjoy hearing from our cycling friend in Israel-even if it's scary stories like that!!
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bike commute at 4 am so I get into a lot of fog banks durring the year. I have to say that riding in the fog in the dark is down right creapy.

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Fog can be nasty stuff. Sorry to hear of the fatal accident, and also glad to hear that you made it through safely. I'm always amazed at the number of drivers in the U.S. that don't seem to slow down for anything, heavy fog, snow, drenching down pours.... they just seem to keep pushing that gas pedal to the floor. Is it the same in Israel?
    Yes - Many Israeli drivers keep pushing in all kinds of road conditions (no snow). Having driven extensively both in the states as well as in Israel I can say almost for certain that the drivers in the states are much more considerate - even the New York drivers. Here it is pretty much every man for himself on the roads. The attitude toward bikes here is that they don't belong on the road.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webist
    Fog is extremely rare in my area. However, I can occasionally see the clouds on the mountains nearby. Occasionally I'll ride up into the clouds. No different than riding in fog really, I suppose. It just amuses me to ride in the clouds.
    Back in the 70's, I rode my bike to Simon Fraser University, which is located at the top of Burnaby Mountain, a 1200-foot hill near Vancouver. At certain times of the year, I'd ride thru the fog to the foot of Burnaby Mtn, then start the 4-km climb. After about 2.5 km or so, I'd be out of the fog and into bright, clear sunshine, and I could look down and see just a blanket of clouds covering everythang below, with just the 3000' mountains to the north and Mt. Baker & the Cascades to the south. Glorious sight.

The downside was having to keep wiping the moisture off the glasses while in the fog.

- L.

My Bikes
    Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden in fog quite a few times over the years. I'm always more cognizant of people seeing me, than my ability to see. In this instance, I am thankful that my route has a Bike Lane (please don't make this a Bike Lane thread).

I wear 2 blinkies and headlights on foggy mornings.
    Jim
    Make a BOLD Statement While Cycling!