Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Blueberry Heist!!! (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/230770-blueberry-heist.html)

OH306 09-22-06 07:20 AM

Blueberry Heist!!!

Saw this on Yahoo this AM. Check your LBS for evidence!

OTTAWA (AFP) - Thieves in Canada's westernmost province stole an entire blueberry patch, or 20,000 bushes worth about 75,000 Canadian dollars (65,000 US), amid skyrocketing berry prices, police said.
ADVERTISEMENT

The bandits struck overnight earlier this week and left a "large mess in the field," Constable Casey Vinet of the Abbotsford police in British Columbia province told AFP Thursday.

The farmer had the blueberry bushes delivered and intended to have them planted, but when his laborers showed up, the plants were gone, he said.

"I've been here 13 years and it's the first time I've ever heard of blueberries being stolen," Vinet said. "Sometimes folks are caught stealing a few stalks of corn for personal use, but never an entire field."

"We don't have any suspects," he added. "But a blueberry patch would be pretty hard to fence (sell as stolen goods)."

Marc Sweeney, a blueberry expert with the British Columbia Ministry of Agriculture, said berry farming has suddenly become very lucrative with an average grower price of 1.43 US dollars per pound, up from a record 0.98 US dollars per pound in 2005.

"There's been incredible demand for blueberries since new research showed significant health benefits from blueberry consumption: anti-cancer properties, increased mental alertness, even better vision," he said.

New crops are being planted throughout the world, he said, and business is brisk.

Sweeney said the spoils of "the great blueberry heist" will likely end up on one of several new blueberry farms in the local Fraser Valley. But, it will take almost two years for the young bushes to bear fruit, he added.

centexwoody 09-22-06 07:37 AM

certainly hope no one from BF 50+ was involved - but then who among us would do such a thing since tending 20,000 blueberry bushes would leave little time to ride...:D

WillisB 09-22-06 08:06 AM

I am looking to set up a long term commitment to supply blueberry pies to the 50+ group. In two years I should be able to provide frozen pies in any quantity required to supply after ride pie parties.:D

I have recently planted 20,000 new bushes on my property. I am so lucky that a man with a tractor trailer load was selling them on the corner by the gas station.:D

We will offer pies made with sugar and, for those who are counting carbs, we will also make pies with Splenda!:D

For more information call 1-800-IMA-JOKE ext-ER

jm01 09-22-06 08:07 AM

could be a trend...My daughter works with Ministry of Natural Resources and manages a couple of our Ontario Provincial Parks...she tells me that several months ago she caught (she's also a Park Warden) someone who had dug up and stolen 500 cedar trees

Jeez

centexwoody 09-22-06 08:14 AM

count me in - shall we sign a quarterly contract for, say, a dozen pies 4 x per year?

Make mine with sugar. Does that include whipped cream or Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream?

WillisB 09-22-06 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centexwoody
count me in - shall we sign a quarterly contract for, say, a dozen pies 4 x per year?

Make mine with sugar. Does that include whipped cream or Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream?

When we lived in Texas we lived on Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla. Can't find it in our part of New York. I sure miss it!

OH306 09-22-06 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by centexwoody

Oh man, Blue Bell ice cream. Anything that good must shorten your life by at least 20 years. My son lived in Tx for 15 yrs, so between him and Blue Bell I had good reason to visit often!

Coloradopenguin 09-22-06 08:41 AM

This must be the heist of the half century . . . insiders reported dozens of older looking bike riders were seen a few miles from the crime with BOBs in tow. They did not look under the covers, but I'll bet my next slice of pie they were making off with the plants to prepare for the third annual blueberry pie run!:roflmao:

Artkansas 09-22-06 10:48 AM

Webb Diego can solve the case.

SSP 09-22-06 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OH306
Oh man, Blue Bell ice cream. Anything that good must shorten your life by at least 20 years. My son lived in Tx for 15 yrs, so between him and Blue Bell I had good reason to visit often!

Shortly after moving from Texas to California back around 1990, I flew back there for my brother's wedding. On my return flight, my checked baggage included a large cooler loaded with dry ice and Blue Bell ice cream....mmmm, good.

Nowadays, however, I'm more concerned about my weight and my arteries so Blue Bell is now a rare treat when I go back for a family visit.

Grampy™ 09-22-06 05:07 PM

R-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-p :D

jppe 09-22-06 08:10 PM

Can someone tell me how to get blueberry stains out of my clothes?????? Oops......I probably shouldn't have said that.

CrossChain 09-22-06 08:31 PM

Get out of the box guys...the blueberry box. I'm suggesting an Autumn pumpkin pie ride in October to celebrate leaves turning, crisp mornings, peaceful late afternoon/evenings. Seriously. I just need you BF50 Big Guns to push it. My wool jersey is waiting expectantly.

centexwoody 09-23-06 12:10 AM

sounds good: which weekend?

since I missed riding this last time (but did NOT miss the pie!), I feel like I need to make up my part