Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blueberry Heist!!!

Saw this on Yahoo this AM. Check your LBS for evidence!

OTTAWA (AFP) - Thieves in Canada's westernmost province stole an entire blueberry patch, or 20,000 bushes worth about 75,000 Canadian dollars (65,000 US), amid skyrocketing berry prices, police said.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The bandits struck overnight earlier this week and left a "large mess in the field," Constable Casey Vinet of the Abbotsford police in British Columbia province told AFP Thursday.

The farmer had the blueberry bushes delivered and intended to have them planted, but when his laborers showed up, the plants were gone, he said.

"I've been here 13 years and it's the first time I've ever heard of blueberries being stolen," Vinet said. "Sometimes folks are caught stealing a few stalks of corn for personal use, but never an entire field."

"We don't have any suspects," he added. "But a blueberry patch would be pretty hard to fence (sell as stolen goods)."

Marc Sweeney, a blueberry expert with the British Columbia Ministry of Agriculture, said berry farming has suddenly become very lucrative with an average grower price of 1.43 US dollars per pound, up from a record 0.98 US dollars per pound in 2005.

"There's been incredible demand for blueberries since new research showed significant health benefits from blueberry consumption: anti-cancer properties, increased mental alertness, even better vision," he said.

New crops are being planted throughout the world, he said, and business is brisk.

Sweeney said the spoils of "the great blueberry heist" will likely end up on one of several new blueberry farms in the local Fraser Valley. But, it will take almost two years for the young bushes to bear fruit, he added.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    certainly hope no one from BF 50+ was involved - but then who among us would do such a thing since tending 20,000 blueberry bushes would leave little time to ride...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking to set up a long term commitment to supply blueberry pies to the 50+ group. In two years I should be able to provide frozen pies in any quantity required to supply after ride pie parties.

I have recently planted 20,000 new bushes on my property. I am so lucky that a man with a tractor trailer load was selling them on the corner by the gas station.

We will offer pies made with sugar and, for those who are counting carbs, we will also make pies with Splenda!

For more information call 1-800-IMA-JOKE ext-ER

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could be a trend...My daughter works with Ministry of Natural Resources and manages a couple of our Ontario Provincial Parks...she tells me that several months ago she caught (she's also a Park Warden) someone who had dug up and stolen 500 cedar trees

Jeez
    Last edited by jm01; 09-22-06 at 09:15 AM.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    count me in - shall we sign a quarterly contract for, say, a dozen pies 4 x per year?

Make mine with sugar. Does that include whipped cream or Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream?
    centexwoody

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    count me in - shall we sign a quarterly contract for, say, a dozen pies 4 x per year?

Make mine with sugar. Does that include whipped cream or Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream?
    When we lived in Texas we lived on Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla. Can't find it in our part of New York. I sure miss it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody

Oh man, Blue Bell ice cream. Anything that good must shorten your life by at least 20 years. My son lived in Tx for 15 yrs, so between him and Blue Bell I had good reason to visit often!

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This must be the heist of the half century . . . insiders reported dozens of older looking bike riders were seen a few miles from the crime with BOBs in tow. They did not look under the covers, but I'll bet my next slice of pie they were making off with the plants to prepare for the third annual blueberry pie run!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Webb Diego can solve the case.

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH306
    Oh man, Blue Bell ice cream. Anything that good must shorten your life by at least 20 years. My son lived in Tx for 15 yrs, so between him and Blue Bell I had good reason to visit often!
    Shortly after moving from Texas to California back around 1990, I flew back there for my brother's wedding. On my return flight, my checked baggage included a large cooler loaded with dry ice and Blue Bell ice cream....mmmm, good.

Nowadays, however, I'm more concerned about my weight and my arteries so Blue Bell is now a rare treat when I go back for a family visit.
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-p
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone tell me how to get blueberry stains out of my clothes?????? Oops......I probably shouldn't have said that.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get out of the box guys...the blueberry box. I'm suggesting an Autumn pumpkin pie ride in October to celebrate leaves turning, crisp mornings, peaceful late afternoon/evenings. Seriously. I just need you BF50 Big Guns to push it. My wool jersey is waiting expectantly.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds good: which weekend?

since I missed riding this last time (but did NOT miss the pie!), I feel like I need to make up my part
    centexwoody