Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   A Very Good Week (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/231000-very-good-week.html)

jppe 09-22-06 08:16 PM

A Very Good Week

I've learned to celebrate good days and good weeks!! I appreciate them a lot more than I used to.

Earlier in the week I climbed Grandfather Mountain to finish off a 102 mile ride in a decent time. Today I won a golf tournament in Pinehurst that had 120 golfers by shooting a under par round of 70. I had a pretty hot putter which helped me make 4 birdies.

Plus I still have a job!!

That's a very good week for me!!

CrossChain 09-22-06 08:19 PM

I recall you were concerned about the job position being terminated. Good going on all counts! Now, if you could just build up a decent bike ;) ;)

Rowan 09-22-06 09:17 PM

jppe,

were you not the guy having medical problems discovered after discomfort with a new seat?

If so, how are things going (I've been absent from a computer for around 12 months)?

If it's not you, then I apologise for the confusion and my laziness in not using the Search function.

nmichell 09-22-06 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by jppe
Earlier in the week I climbed Grandfather Mountain to finish off a 102 mile ride in a decent time. Today I won a golf tournament in Pinehurst that had 120 golfers by shooting a under par round of 70.

Next, jppe will be preparing for his swim across the English Channel, then a hike up Mt. Everest the following week.

;)

I'll say you had a pretty good week. Well Done !! And still having a job is probably good, too. :p

stapfam 09-23-06 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by nmichell
Next, jppe will be preparing for his swim across the English Channel, then a hike up Mt. Everest the following week.

;)

I'll say you had a pretty good week. Well Done !! And still having a job is probably good, too. :p

Latest weather report- The english channel is a bit too rough to swim in at present with strong winds blowing from the south to keep the swell always working against you. Not the Ideal weather for attempting it. Although- I suppose jppe would be able to manage it if he put in a bit more stamina training.

centexwoody 09-23-06 02:39 AM

but he'd have to finally make a choice: Channel swim training or yet another round of championship-caliber golf...

stapfam 09-23-06 04:36 AM

Just out of interest- What's your GOLF handicap? We know about the others.

jppe 09-23-06 06:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by stapfam
Just out of interest- What's your GOLF handicap? We know about the others.

My handicap has been around a 4. I have not been playing as much because of cycling so it's probably moved up a stroke or two. Just like cycling, you continue to learn a trick or two that can help the game. Needless to say technology plays a big part in golf just like cycling. Titanium, Carbon, graphite, moment of inertia, etc.

Here's some pics from the Wachovia Pro-Am from a few months back. I've probably posted these before. Note that we were paired with Chad Campbell who is participating in the Ryder Cup this weekend. Very good guy and player but with a streaky putter.

The English Channel.......that might just be pretty interesting!!!

jppe 09-23-06 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rowan
jppe,

were you not the guy having medical problems discovered after discomfort with a new seat?

If so, how are things going (I've been absent from a computer for around 12 months)?

If it's not you, then I apologise for the confusion and my laziness in not using the Search function.

You have an excellent memory. I had/have a "mass" that is under one of my sit bones that must have developed due to riding. After MRI's and various doctors' reviews, we're just monitoring it for now. It actually seems to have decreased in size over the past 12 mos but it is still about the size of a golf ball. I've gone to a gel saddle and I only use a certain type of chamois short to keep the discomfort to a minimum. I've found that less padding is better than too much padding for the discomfort issue.

stapfam 09-23-06 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by jppe
My handicap has been around a 4. I have not been playing as much because of cycling so it's probably moved up a stroke or two. Just like cycling, you continue to learn a trick or two that can help the game. Needless to say technology plays a bog part in golf just like cycling. Titanium, Carbon, graphite, moment of inertia, etc.

Here's some pics from the Wachovia Pro-Am from a few months back. I've probably posted these before. Note that we were paired with Chad Campbell who is participating in the Ryder Cup this weekend. Very good guy and player but with a streaky putter.

The English Channel.......that might just be pretty interesting!!!

Ryder cup? Won't say any more. Still too far to go to put my foot in it.

NOS88 09-23-06 07:42 AM

Show off! :)

will dehne 09-23-06 09:03 AM

As you say, let us celebrate and count our blessings. You are a busy guy.:)

stapfam 09-23-06 12:48 PM

10-6 Still looks a bit close though.

jppe 09-24-06 11:15 AM

Hey-Maybe I'll draw Clarke, Casey, Garcia or one of the other studs next time I get an invite. Those guys made everything today!!! Clarke's reception on the 18th green was a truly memorable. Well done Euro's!!!

stapfam 09-24-06 12:50 PM

Yea -it was a bit close 18 1/2 to 9 1/2. Just a pity I did not have any time to watch any of it as the Wife had better ideas about me starting the Autumn project in the garden. Have to watch the highlights tonight.

Artkansas 09-24-06 01:22 PM

Latest weather report- The english channel is a bit too rough to swim in at present with strong winds blowing from the south to keep the swell always working against you. Not the Ideal weather for attempting it. Although- I suppose jppe would be able to manage it if he put in a bit more stamina training.

Time for a quick pedal then, say Land's End to John o'Groats?

stapfam 09-24-06 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Artkansas
Time for a quick pedal then, say Land's End to John o'Groats?

I have a friend that is on that right now. Difference is- He is doing it offroad.

Lands End to John O'Groats by road is a popular ride here in the UK. They even have organised versions of it with hotels etc laid on and arranged. Not something I fancy but a goods weeks workout for most. Most prefer to do it the other way round though as it is all downhill when you look at the map.

Mojo Slim 09-24-06 02:14 PM

I hate you.

roccobike 09-24-06 03:35 PM

jppe, I have only one question. When you take off your top shirt, do you have a blue shirt under it with a big red "S" on it?
Great job on the mountain and the golf. It was a beautiful week weather wise for you as well.