Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2006 Serotta fierte steel

Hi folks, I'm looking for some opinions regarding a 2006 Serotta Fierte steel bicycle. I have been test riding one at my LBS recently and I really am impressed. I especially like the carbon forks on the front and back...it sure smooths out the road buzz. I'm looking for a new bike for a wide range of uses from triathlons to long distance brevets and I have been close to buying a Trek Pilot 5.0 recently... until I saw this Serotta. The prices are almost exactly the same. I realize that ultimately it comes down to personal preference but there is also issues such as quality of craftmanship. Given that the prices are not an issue, any opinions regarding the relative value between these biks? thanks Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I really am impressed" "I have been close to buying a Trek Pilot 5.0 recently... until I saw this Serotta"

Sounds to me like you just need someone to say "Go buy that bike!"

Okay

GO BUY THAT BIKE !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on my way!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmichell
    "I really am impressed" "I have been close to buying a Trek Pilot 5.0 recently... until I saw this Serotta"

Sounds to me like you just need someone to say "Go buy that bike!"

Okay

GO BUY THAT BIKE !!!

No he doesn't. We have to go through the rigmarole of the colour- what size to get- how much discount- whether to get the triple or the double or compact or normal. Then theres the groupset and and what upgrades.

This will start a few arguments but that is the norm on here as it is not a recumbent or Fixie. We go through all the rigmarole of discussing someone elses choice of bike only to find that fopianki has thought about it for 5 minutes while he sorts out the new helmet shorts and top to go with it and walked away with a big hole in his bank balance.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    No he doesn't. We have to go through the rigmarole of the colour- what size to get- how much discount- whether to get the triple or the double or compact or normal. We go through all the rigmarole of discussing someone elses choice of bike only to find that fopianki has thought about it for 5 minutes while he sorts out the new helmet shorts and top to go with it and walked away with a big hole in his bank balance.
    Isn't the proper word rigamaroll, rather than rigmarole?
    Or am I being an ignorant, colonial twit when it comes to the King's English???
    Odds are, it's the latter option!

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rigamarole is standard in my lexikon but then I'm originally from Waco so what would I know?

BP: what the h*ll are you doing up at 3:30 am? Those of us across the big water have an excuse (i.e. the sun is shining & breakfast is over, lunch is being considered...) but you, you are on US West Coast, no?
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Now this starts another side to the argument, but I am afraid that my spell checker doesn't seem to work on this Forum replies. Perhaps it is the thought of travelling all that distance that it can't be bothered as Even if it is right on this side of the pond. When it gets your side you do whatever you like with the spelling and according to that great American that we keep seeing on the news- GWB- you even change the pronunciation aswell. However- getting the mighty tome out of the bookcase- so I have just gone off you as I now have a hernia- I have spelt it correctly for this side of the water.

As to saying that you are being an ignorant, colonial twit when it comes to the King's English??? You suggested it - not me.

By the way fopianki- Don't listen to us discussing your new steed, or some allied topic- but as the shops are not open yet- you have a couple of hours sweating to see if it has been sold yet.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were still in my 20s/30s I might have thought about it for 5 minutes and whipped out a credit card. Now that I'm older and "hopefully" wiser, I've been saving toward this bike for the past 6 months! I'm buying a new bike since my other option is to replace the components on my 6 year old Softride...they are worn out and banged up from years of use and abuse. Unfortunately, Softride (the company) is for sale and my concern is that if I invest in this bike I might not be able to get other spare parts in the future such as a new beam or hardware. Anyway, I appreciate the humor and advice I get from the "gray brigade"...I'll let you know if I pull the trigger on the Serotta...I think I'll bring my pedals and shorts down for a real ride...unfortunately, they are predicting up to 5 inches of rain, staight line winds and possible tornados today in Indiana! Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    rigamarole is standard in my lexikon
    So there's now rigmarole, rigamaroll, and rigamarole...any other suggestions from the peanut gallery???

Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    BP: what the h*ll are you doing up at 3:30 am?
    I rigged my BF page to post previously written entries long after I've gone to bed. It make me look more like a swinger or a playbody or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rigged my BF page to post previously written entries long after I've gone to bed. It make me look more like a swinger or a playbody or something.
    Bull.

I got news for you, pally. Sitting up at 3:30 in the AM and posting on BF is loser-ville. Personally, I was hangin' with Angie Dickenson at 3:30 the other morning. Now that's swinging...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fopianki
    If I were still in my 20s/30s I might have thought about it for 5 minutes and whipped out a credit card. Now that I'm older and "hopefully" wiser, I've been saving toward this bike for the past 6 months! I'm buying a new bike since my other option is to replace the components on my 6 year old Softride...they are worn out and banged up from years of use and abuse. Unfortunately, Softride (the company) is for sale and my concern is that if I invest in this bike I might not be able to get other spare parts in the future such as a new beam or hardware. Anyway, I appreciate the humor and advice I get from the "gray brigade"...I'll let you know if I pull the trigger on the Serotta...I think I'll bring my pedals and shorts down for a real ride...unfortunately, they are predicting up to 5 inches of rain, staight line winds and possible tornados today in Indiana! Frank
    Any excuse to delay buying- Sounds as though you have D.G's problem.

You are going to be on a Century ride when the wind gets up and the rain starts lashing down so what better time to try a bike. So along with the shorts- helmet and top- you can look for a waterproof to go with it.

On the soft ride- Ideal to keep as a second bike, but I am certain that spares are going to be available for several years to come.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did it!

Well I did it!!!!...I went down and purchased the Serotta...of course I still didn't want to charge it so I put it on a 90 day layaway and paid 1/3rd of the price in cash...I figure I'll have it home in about a month! I'm one happy camper...this is the finest bike I've ever bought...but now that I'm down to my fourth (and last) child in college, I guess I can spend a bit on myself! BTW...after having kids in the house for 27 1/2 years, my wife and I are now officially "empty nesters"...and loving every minute of it! Frank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW again...here is an exact picture of my new bike!

http://www.serotta.com/pages/fierte_steel.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fopianki......a lovely bike, and as the owner of 3 steel bikes, I heartily approve your choice of frame materials.

Rigamaroll............one of those British snacks in which a "kipper" (whatever that is) is tucked inside what we call a "bun", which is something they put frosting on but we put mustard and hence the common mispelling as "role" rather than the bready "roll" of American usage.

For the benefit of Stapfam, will someone please explain the Anglo terms "sub", "torpedo", and "grinder"...all of which are distant cousins of the Anglic "rigamarole" (sic).
    Last edited by CrossChain; 09-24-06 at 06:39 PM.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odds are, it's the latter option!
    The word is "rigmarole." See Webster's and Oxford dictionaries. And BTW, the King is dead, it's the Queen's English

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    Fopianki......a lovely bike, and as the owner of 3 steel bikes, I heartily approve your choice of frame materials.

Rigamaroll............one of those British snacks in which a "kipper" (whatever that is) is tucked inside what we call a "bun", which is something they put frosting on but we put mustard and hence the common mispelling as "role" rather than the bready "roll" of American usage.

For the benefit of Stapfam, will someone please explain the Anglo terms "sub", "torpedo", and "grinder"...all of which are distant cousins of the Anglic "rigamarole" (sic).
    "Anglic?" Another bastardisation of the Queen's English?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great choice of bikes!! The combination of steel and carbon should be a terrific ride. What components come on it?
    Ride your Ride!!

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Great choice of bikes!! The combination of steel and carbon should be a terrific ride. What components come on it?
    I'm not sure, but I am willing to hazard a guess...

Wheels, tires, chain, gears, bearings, stem, handlebar, fork, crank, seat, shifting components, brakes.... the usual stuff.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Well, I could have, but I didn't want to!
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin
    I'm not sure, but I am willing to hazard a guess...

Wheels, tires, chain, gears, bearings, stem, handlebar, fork, crank, seat, shifting components, brakes.... the usual stuff.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Well, I could have, but I didn't want to!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin
    watch out that they don't hit you up for a $500 surcharge for the bar tape, as that's not included in this list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...any other suggestions from the peanut gallery???
    OK, time for me to 'fess-up. I actually was in the peanut gallery. I also got over it.

Translation for Stapfam: the peanut gallery was where the kiddies were seated,
    on-stage, in the "Howdy Doody (sp?) Show" on TV in the early '50s.

There will be no proclamations from the peanut gallery until I am done mourning
    the loss of a planet. Pluto, where are you when we need you??

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=stapfam]No he doesn't. We have to go through the rigmarole of the colour- what size to get- how much discount- whether to get the triple or the double or compact or normal. Then theres the groupset and and what upgrades. QUOTE]

Whoa there Bloke!!!!! This isn't Digital Gee You are talking to.......
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Grampy™]
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    No he doesn't. We have to go through the rigmarole of the colour- what size to get- how much discount- whether to get the triple or the double or compact or normal. Then theres the groupset and and what upgrades. QUOTE]

Whoa there Bloke!!!!! This isn't Digital Gee You are talking to.......
    This may not be DG but we still have to discuss the prospect of getting a New bike With all the mods and upgrades that we want on our bikes. With DG, its getting a bit stale as all we want him to do is get a bike. Fopianki is different- We know nothing about his riding style- How far he can ride- What his favourite routes are and As far as I know, He hasn't told us his favourite pie stop on his rides. Still a lot of discussion to go yet.

Spike Milligan