I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One beautiful Sunday, Three wonderful rides

It isn't every day that I get to ride my bike(s) three times in one day, but today was such a day. First a short ride to warm up and get the cobwebs out of my system, because I've been away on business for five days. So a pre-breakfast ride.

Then I'm off to meet a friend for coffee, and while it isn't far, I prefer riding to walking, so I hopped on the cruiser to head over to Twiggs.

Finally, late this afternoon, I have freed myself from chores and pull out my bike for another ride, perfectly content with 67 degrees and 7 mph winds, and get in as many miles as I can before the sun descends into the horizon.

So, even though the mileage wasn't that much (not quite 20 miles for the day), having my Sunday punctuated with three different rides was kinda special.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    It isn't every day that I get to ride my bike(s) three times in one day, but today was such a day. First a short ride to warm up and get the cobwebs out of my system, because I've been away on business for five days. So a pre-breakfast ride.

Then I'm off to meet a friend for coffee, and while it isn't far, I prefer riding to walking, so I hopped on the cruiser to head over to Twiggs.

Finally, late this afternoon, I have freed myself from chores and pull out my bike for another ride, perfectly content with 67 degrees and 7 mph winds, and get in as many miles as I can before the sun descends into the horizon.

So, even though the mileage wasn't that much (not quite 20 miles for the day), having my Sunday punctuated with three different rides was kinda special.
    The way a relaxing Sunday after a long business trip should be.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think riding somewhere for a purpose beyond "riding"....whether commuting, off to the store, or meeting a friend for coffee adds an extra "home-style" dimension to cycling. Makes our cycling purposeful and let's us see the bike as a real world tool rather than just a work-out machine or recreation toy or whatever it is we do Saturday mornings for 2 hours or more. Besides, being a "real cyclist" let's us broken-field run thru traffic with added authority.

When you start regarding yourself and your 20 pounds bike as a vehicle on the road ("I'm walkin' here, I'm walkin' here" to quote Ratso Rizo), then you have both arrived at Real Cyclist status and-- have something to worry about!

Anyway, D.G., glad you had a lilting day in Camelot West .... missed your input on several threads.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+ 1

Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    I think riding somewhere for a purpose beyond "riding"....whether commuting, off to the store, or meeting a friend for coffee adds an extra "home-style" dimension to cycling. Makes our cycling purposeful and let's us see the bike as a real world tool rather than just a work-out machine or recreation toy or whatever it is we do Saturday mornings for 2 hours or more. Besides, being a "real cyclist" let's us broken-field run thru traffic with added authority. .
    Sounds like a wonderful Sunday 'on the bike'!

If riding my bike around Bonn has taught me anything, it's that I needn't be so obsessive about 'getting in a ride' - strapping on the HRM, helmet, gloves, hydrating, grabbing a snack, etc etc for thinking about getting on the d*mn bike.

Everyone rides their bikes everywhere here; to the store, to friends, to work, to look at the river, that the 'serious cyclists' are very obvious to everyone. I would guess less than 10 per cent of the folks I see cycling (of all ages) have any kind of special gear or clothing - most of them are just riding their bikes to get where they need or want to go.

It's like everyone here read the COMMUTING BF Forum & agreed that commuting and trying to be relatively car-free made sense so they just all ride their bikes instead. I think Gary's Sunday sounds very normal if we were actually to be able to live in a city where riding the bike is the vehicle of preference and custom. Makes me want to move to San Diego where it never rains, the wind always blows gently off the sea and beach cruisers have their own fan club!
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In between the storm clouds and the thunder....there are sometimes moments of sunshine and visions of what could have been. Today, I took my 14 year old daughter to the bike trail and went on a 15 mile ride with her. She's really special and I know she was humoring me by going, but nonetheless, it was fun so I thought I would post a few pics of the day. She is the nicest person I have ever met.
    Last edited by dauphin; 08-28-07 at 12:11 PM.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stories all the way around!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    Today, I took my 14 year old daughter to the bike trail and went on a 15 mile ride with her. She's really special and I know she was humoring me by going, but nonetheless, it was fun so I thought I would post a few pics of the day. She is the nicest person I have ever met.
    When my older daughter was 17 she rode the Bike Ride Across Georgia with me. It was a time I absolutely treasure. Daughters are great.
    Wag more, bark less

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    She is the nicest person I have ever met.
    You really know how to bring a lump to a guy's throat! Thanks for sharing the pics and the story.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who was it that said that only bad things come in three's? I guess he was wrong!
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you have to do is string all three together- and find the time to be able to do that, and you could be a cyclist.

Have to admit that there are times for me when I know I will not be able to get a ride in- so I don't Go. However- thinking about it- The trip to the shops- But how do I get a 15ft length of 3x4 on a bike without damaging the paintwork- Down to the takeaway for the family's curry- but how do I get it back quick enough before it gets cold- or without the hot curry sauce making a mess in the bottom of a rucksack- and taking the dog for a walk (Wifes job- but I could do it) but what happens when he sees a cat while getting to the woods dragging me off the bike.

No I think I'll keep the ride until I can get a decent one in.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan