Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycle computer

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cycle computer

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-06, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycle computer

Hi folks, just bought the brand spankin' new Serotta Fierte and I need to get a computer for it. It's been years since I've bought a computer...my Softride has had the same one since 2001. I'd prefer a wireless setup and I'd like the basics (although cadence would also be nice!). Any recommendations on a computer that is user friendly and reliable? Frank
Old 09-26-06, 12:43 PM
Team Geritol

Bikes: Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it has Shimano STI levers, look into the Flight Deck. I love it.

-Spoke
Old 09-26-06, 12:44 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fopianki
Hi folks, just bought the brand spankin' new Serotta Fierte and I need to get a computer for it. It's been years since I've bought a computer...my Softride has had the same one since 2001. I'd prefer a wireless setup and I'd like the basics (although cadence would also be nice!). Any recommendations on a computer that is user friendly and reliable? Frank
Have gone through the range of computers on the market and all I want to know is current speed- average speed for the ride and milage. Cadence is somthing that I have on the Tandem but we rarely use taht facility now.

Now with regard to wireless. They can interfere with heart monitors and get interference themselves from other sources. Easy to set up but then something goes out of sync and it stops working till you get it sorted out. A lot to recommend for the conventional wired versions with the BIG worry of breaking wires being non-existant. Have only broken one wired version and as it was a wire break- A quick splice and it was fixed. But the number of times I have had to refit the Wireless versions drives me nuts.

What have I got? An Astrale wired version with cadence on the tandem and the other two are cateye wireless. Or should I say one other is a wireless as I lost the fork sensor last week somewhere up on the hills on the MTB.
So will be following this thread for when I get yet another replacement.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-26-06, 01:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks...so are you saying that your preference is the wired Astrale? I have wireless computers on both mine and my wife's mountain bike and they constantly have to be reset...and they also don't start up automatically when we start riding...you have to push the button. They were cheapo nashbar computers and I always thought it was just the model...but from what you are saying, it may be due to the technology...something to think about...regards Frank
Old 09-26-06, 01:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoke
If it has Shimano STI levers, look into the Flight Deck. I love it.

-Spoke
So who makes the Flight Deck...any suggestions as to a website where I can review and possibly purchase it? thanks! Frank
Old 09-26-06, 01:24 PM

Bikes: Actual 10-speed Olmo road, Bianchi BUSS, Kona A-Ha, Schwinn Moab 2 rain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Garmin Forerunner 205 on my wrist. No wires, no programming, no brackets on bike. Figures average speed, calories, distance , maps routes into your computer. Settings for running, biking, and other. Expensive, but works for running, walking, etc. No cadence tho.
Old 09-26-06, 01:29 PM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by fopianki
I use a Garmin Forerunner 301 which gives speed, HR, distance, av HR, av speed etc, etc. I like it because I can move it from bike to bike - I have 3 plus the tandem - and only have to strap it to the handlebars.
It does not provide cadence, but the Garmin 305 does, but I assume you have to fit sensors to the bike for this.
Old 09-26-06, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Have a look at the Cateye Micro, it is wireless. My wife has used one for over a year, it has never failed to start. I have never had to readjust it, or fiddle with it to get it working. Other wire less units from other mfgrs have all had 'issues'.
Old 09-26-06, 03:17 PM
Team Geritol

Bikes: Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano makes the Flight Deck. I would assume hundreds of web sites sell it. Just google Shimano Flight Deck. I bought mine from Branford Bike. It was easy to install and I like the "virtual" cadance and the gear indicator. Mine is wireless, just the computer on the handelbar and the transmitter on the fork, no wires, except for the wires under the handlebar tape to the shifters. I have not had any problems with it. Take a look.

-Spoke
Old 09-26-06, 04:03 PM

Bikes: Trek 2000, Catrike, Gitane tandem, no-name mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Cateye wireless on my DF is tempermental.
I have changed the batteries, reset the pickup in relation to the sensor, played with the distance between pickup and head -- but I still have the same problem.
For no reason at all, the speed drops off and becomes erratic.
It might work good for a kilometer, then it skips a few beats.

My "cheepo" wired speedo on my Catrike works flawlessly.
Old 09-26-06, 04:04 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Astrale 8 (wired) on one bike. I torqued the zip tie too tight when I first installed it. But since then, I have never had a problem with it. (it has cadence). I think they're about 30-40 bucks these days.

I have a CatEye Wireless on my other bike. It works pretty well, but I think it interferes with my HRM on occasion. It was about 150 IIRC.

My wife has a flight deck and likes it because it shows her which gear she's in, but she also inadvertently resets it from time to time by hitting the wrong button.
Old 09-26-06, 06:12 PM

Bikes: '73 Frejus TdF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Garmin Edge 305. Since the speed is based on GPS there is no probe to hook up to the bicycle. There are two options available with the Edge 305 -- a heart rate monitor and cadence. Another improvement in the Edge 305 is that altitude is based on a barometric pressure measurement so it is more accurate than altitude based on GPS.

It's a little pricey, but I like it a lot.
Old 09-26-06, 06:47 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I vote for the Astrale 8 also. Had a flight Deck - but I kept inadvertently turning it on off. Especially when climbing hills. Kind of neat though- to see what gears you are in.
Old 09-26-06, 07:29 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've used just about EVERY cycle computer on the market and most of them work OK for awhile and then fail one way or another. The only one I've had that doesn't seem to fail is the Cateye models. Though that might simply be a freak.

I used to have Avocets on all of my bikes but as soon as you replaced the battery they wouldn't work after awhile. Lately I put SIGS on all my bikes and they worked very good for about 8 months and then three of them started showing "miles" but reading "kilometers per hour". Reseting had no effect.

Avenir as well stopped working for no apparent reasons. Vetta worked OK but then they got to be hard to find.

The Cateye seems to just keep on working though. But I'd bet as soon as I put them on everything they'll all quit at once.
Old 09-26-06, 07:39 PM
Señor Wences

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ditched mine.
Old 09-26-06, 09:05 PM
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, screw the wireless, suck it up, and just get a Cateye Astrale.

(Yes, Dnvrfox, I broke my self-imposed rule not to post on the silly 50+ forum.)