Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one's for you Stapfam

We're playing in the Greater Hickory Classic in Hickcory, NC tomorrow and we selected European Mark James as our Pro. This is one of the Champion Tour events at Rock Barn Golf Club and being played on a Rees Jones course. I'm sure we'll hear a thing or two about how dominant the Euro's are in Ryder Cup play these days-and rightly so. It should be really interesting getting some of the inside scoop on the '99 event when Mark was captain.

It was so beautiful here in NC today I decided to do a short ride around lunch just to keep the legs in tune and enjoy the weather. Plus I had enjoyed several plates of seafood and more than my share of wine at the evening event for the Pro-am participants so I felt the need to try and sweat some of that out of my system. Well, I guess I'm just not very good on short rides. I rode and rode and wound up doing about 50 miles and now I can really feel it in my legs. That's not what I needed the day before playing but it was just too nice a day to pass up.

It's really going to be incredible riding here in NC in a couple weeks when the leaves beging changing colors......
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Well, I guess I'm just not very good on short rides. I rode and rode and wound up doing about 50 miles and now I can really feel it in my legs.
    Story of my life! It is hard to keep it less than 30 miles if you go to the bother of getting kitted up!

Most years I make it up to the far west of NC in the mountains for relief from the summer Florida heat and humidity and to get in a good bit of hiking for a week, but this year it didn't work out. I have neve been there during Fall color season. I bet it is beautiful, but riding on the BRP might be a bit dangerous with the additional traffic and drivers looking at the leaves instead of the road.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk
    I bet it is beautiful, but riding on the BRP might be a bit dangerous with the additional traffic and drivers looking at the leaves instead of the road.
    You're absolutely correct about increased traffic on the BRP this time of year. Fortunately there are number of less traveled roads that can provide beautiful views. Seeing the colors from a bike is one of those things you need to put on your list to plan around one day. Really good stuff that you can put on your list of "reasons to ride".
    Ride your Ride!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    We're playing in the Greater Hickory Classic in Hickcory, NC tomorrow and we selected European Mark James as our Pro. This is one of the Champion Tour events at Rock Barn Golf Club and being played on a Rees Jones course. I'm sure we'll hear a thing or two about how dominant the Euro's are in Ryder Cup play these days-and rightly so. It should be really interesting getting some of the inside scoop on the '99 event when Mark was captain.

It was so beautiful here in NC today I decided to do a short ride around lunch just to keep the legs in tune and enjoy the weather. Plus I had enjoyed several plates of seafood and more than my share of wine at the evening event for the Pro-am participants so I felt the need to try and sweat some of that out of my system. Well, I guess I'm just not very good on short rides. I rode and rode and wound up doing about 50 miles and now I can really feel it in my legs. That's not what I needed the day before playing but it was just too nice a day to pass up.

It's really going to be incredible riding here in NC in a couple weeks when the leaves beging changing colors......
    I have never played Golf- but it is a sport I love. So much so that I used to organise the yearly Golf matches for my companies customers. I understand the game and love it- Just a pity that I never got out to actually try it.

Now back to the Ryder. If you remember- On saturday Night I said it was too close to call at 10-6 in favour of Europe, and it was. We normally fall down on the last day- and if Sundays scores had been reversed- which I expected it to- Europe would have lost with a remarkable recovery going to the US.

Now on those short rides. I'll agree. I ride with a couple of regular mates and a few occasionals. They are all younger than me and fitter and stronger and -Well you name it and they have it. Only thing is that they are only good for about 25miles and 3 hills max. Last Sunday- I threw in a few extra road miles and an extra hill. The extra hill was to wear them out and the extra miles was to finish them off. It worked. I actually felt ready for my round of Autumn long rides that are planned- There will be a couple of Road metrics and possibly a 100 miler- but most of them are 40mile + offroad rides. That is where my sluggish manner that I have had all summer starts to disapear.

As to the autumn colours- This normally starts around the middle of September where I live- We have had a veryt dry summer and A dry autumn and the only change of colour (Queens English Spelling) we have had is to Dead. There is no hint of Autumn colour at all except for the still green leaves falling off the trees.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan