Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

To good to be true.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

To good to be true.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To good to be true.

I just can't help but think this is a scam or something. I have always believed that anything that sounded to good to be true, was. Anybody ever hear anything about this stuff on Ebay?

https://cgi.ebay.com/New-2006-Trek-Ma...QQcmdZViewItem

C'mon, a Madone for $2900? I don't live there but I should be from the show me state.
Old 09-29-06, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has every sign of a scam - email the seller before you bid. bad grammer & usage in the text body. 1 day listing. No shipping cost indicated. Surprised it has not been pulled by ebay already. This stuff happens all the time. I emailed to one and some joker from England who could not use English replied with some jibberish about sending him funds thru a currency broker. Total scam.

I emailed him back that he was most likely using the ill gotten gains to fund terriorism and when GWs spys tracked him down they would stick something where the sun does not shine. All his listings pulled from scambay within 15 min.
Old 09-29-06, 11:24 PM

Bikes: Kona Cinder Cone, Sun EZ-3 AX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you click on "View seller's other items"? More than 300 items...a variety of bikes with the same weird buying procedure specified.
Old 09-30-06, 06:48 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"PLEASE DO NOT USE Ask Seller A Question OPTION BECAUSE OUR eBay EMAIL ADDRESS IS OVER QUOTA AND WE DON'T RECEIVE YOUR QUESTION"

I didn't know Ebay had email addresses, let alone quotas for them. It must be hard work to try to make a living this way. It is the Ebay equivalent of spam.
Old 09-30-06, 07:42 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a scam. Check the location; I bet its China. When I was looking for a new bike a few months back, I saw some similar stuff.

You could report it to Ebay.

John
Old 09-30-06, 08:02 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
I emailed him back that he was most likely using the ill gotten gains to fund terriorism and when GWs spys tracked him down they would stick something where the sun does not shine. All his listings pulled from scambay within 15 min.
Oh great, you emiled him back. Bad move. Now all of your emails are being intercepted by Homeland Security too. Check outside and see if there's a big model airplane hovering above your house.
Old 09-30-06, 11:07 AM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Oh great, you emiled him back. Bad move. Now all of your emails are being intercepted by Homeland Security too. Check outside and see if there's a big model airplane hovering above your house.
Not as far fetched as you may think. Orwell was off by 20 years. Very scary. As this case makes its way through the Northern California Federal District Court, AT&T is saying the case should be dismissed because "we were just responding to a government request", while the government is saying it should be dismissed because a trial in open court would irreparably harm the war against terror. NSA Secret Room in San Francisco AT&T Worldnet Central Office

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.

Last edited by Scooper; 09-30-06 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-30-06, 11:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the China angle . . .
Old 09-30-06, 12:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe I will miss a good deal here, but I am a pretty cautious fellow. I just have always believed that you don't get something for nothing. Thanks for the replies, I was not tempted here, 'cause I am sure there is something wrong. Some fool is going to be soon parted from his money, but not this one. Again, thanks for the replies.
Old 09-30-06, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooper
Not as far fetched as you may think. Orwell was off by 20 years. Very scary. As this case makes its way through the Northern California Federal District Court, AT&T is saying the case should be dismissed because "we were just responding to a government request", while the government is saying it should be dismissed because a trial in open court would irreparably harm the war against terror. NSA Secret Room in San Francisco AT&T Worldnet Central Office
The really crazy part is that there are a whole lot of people who think that's OK. Their reasoning is that, as long as they aren't saying or doing anything wrong they're safe. Freedom of speech is pretty much meaningless if you're only free to agree with the administration.
Old 09-30-06, 02:14 PM
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 57 Posts
The really crazy part is that there are a whole lot of people who think that's OK. Their reasoning is that, as long as they aren't saying or doing anything wrong they're safe. Freedom of speech is pretty much meaningless if you're only free to agree with the administration.
Bingo!

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 09-30-06, 06:46 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Speaking as someone who was raised in the US (elementary school in Berkeley, CA; high school in Oakland), I can't help but think what the US Founding Fathers would have to say about how their vision of freedom, liberty, and justice for all has been subverted by corporate thugs like Dick Cheney and incompetents such as Donald Rumsfeld. "Those who would sacrifice freedom to enjoy some temporary safety deserve neither freedom nor safety." I think that was Ben Franklin, one of my few heroes.

- L.
Old 09-30-06, 07:28 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what country this scammer is in, but it's a scam.
Old 10-01-06, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No spy plane but there is a strange object that comes over the house every so often, a flock of geese. Maybe they have little listening devices implanted in their wings and little cameras too. Can you hum the outer limits song> do do do do do ......... I thought my message to the scammer was quite effective.