Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Thank You Sheldon Brown -- Long

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 08:52 AM
Do I use too many commas?

Bikes: Giant Yukon SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been riding seriously since mid-August. I found this forum at about that same time. This forum led me to Sheldon Brown's site. About 3 weeks ago I read the article on braking, as in how to use the front brake properly. Since then I have been using the front almost exclusively and practising hard stops.

As I was out riding on my normal rural roads Monday at about 4:30 I saw a deer (doe) run across the road about 100 ft. in front of me. There were two more running in the field to my right parallel to me and about 150 ft. away. I was starting down a slope at the time. I came to a dip where it got steeper for a short distance prior to crossing a culvert over a small stream.

From behind the hedgerow to the right the two deer I had seen running parallel were suddenly coming straight at me on an intercept course. Fast. Close. I scooched back and slammed on the front brake. Wheel locked up and skidded but I kept control. The lead deer saw and heard me and switched direction in mid run. If you have never seen a deer do this it's pretty amazing.

She missed me by about an arms length. I was doing about 35 mph when I first saw her coming.

If it hadn't been for Sheldon's site I wouldn't have been prepared and would have had a nasty accident.

Thank you Sheldon, and thank you Bike Forums for being here.
Old 10-04-06, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WillisB
I

She missed me by about an arms length. I was doing about 35 mph when I first saw her coming.

If it hadn't been for Sheldon's site I wouldn't have been prepared and would have had a nasty accident.

Thank you Sheldon, and thank you Bike Forums for being here.

If it hadn't been for you reading Sheldon's site, it would have been a nasty accident. Glad you took the time to read it, and that you escaped your deer adventure.