Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

scorpion's ascent

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

scorpion's ascent

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 10:09 PM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
scorpion's ascent

At day break we started out on our infrequently travelled Scorpion Ascent ride. It's a 60 miler which starts out in the city of Dimona, down to the Dead sea, south to En Hazeva and right up to the Ascent finally back to Dimona.

[I had purchased new wheels a few weeks ago and decided to install a 12-23 cassette with 53/39 chainwheels. While making that decision I planned to build another wheel appropriate for climbs with a 12-27 cassette, but have not got around to it.]

Well back to the ascent - I started out with a nice kick going up the hill but the 13% grade took its toll and I was pedalling just fast enough to keep from falling off the bike. In a couple of places my front wheel came up off the ground. Just before the peak, my legs locked up. My thigh muscles were stuck in a contracted position and with some difficulty was able to dismount and loosen up. I walked the remaining 50 meters. On the remaining 20 miles back to start I kept my legs spinning and as loose as possible, there were only a few minor inclines and with the help of another partner whom I shared drafting we slowly made it back. Can't wait to get better gearing - I even consider getting a compact crankset.
Old 10-02-06, 11:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Berts, heroism aside, maybe a 13% grade you could go for a 12x25 or, we promise to look the other way , a 12x27........at least until you install that compact. A little "chutzpah" on the ascent ?
Old 10-03-06, 03:34 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Originally Posted by berts
...down to the Dead sea, south to En Hazeva and right up to the Ascent...
You've created an interesting image with this sentence, one I might use in an Easter sermon.

Berts, by riding along the Dead Sea coast line, this qualifies you as the "lowest" rider* on BF-50+. When Denver returns from his New England vacation he'll need to add you to his Rouges' Gallery of accomplishments!

* in negative elevation (below sea level).

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-03-06, 03:54 AM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what diff a compact double?

Originally Posted by CrossChain
Berts, heroism aside, maybe a 13% grade you could go for a 12x25 or, we promise to look the other way , a 12x27........at least until you install that compact. A little "chutzpah" on the ascent ?
CC: so what difference would a compact make for this? I'm assuming that the compact double would probably be a 50/34 or thereabouts?

Or perhaps I should ask this question on the 'Dumb Questions' thread?
Or try to understand all that protoengineering discussion from another recent thread?

or if I think through my own question, then evidently the 34 combined with berts' rear cassette would have geared him down sufficiently to attempt the 13% grade?

centexwoody
Old 10-03-06, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting post, and a great name for a ride.

Just before the peak, my legs locked up. My thigh muscles were stuck in a contracted position and with some difficulty was able to dismount and loosen up. I walked the remaining 50 meters.
Been there, done that on a different mountain (Jonestown Mt. in Couumbia County, PA). Only I seem to remember using a few choice four letter words as the legs locked and I was trying to get off the freaking bike.
Old 10-03-06, 05:36 AM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
city of Dimona, down to the Dead sea, south to En Hazeva and right up to the Ascent finally back to Dimona. .
---What Pastor Bob said...someday I hope to see it.
Old 10-03-06, 07:31 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by centexwoody
CC: so what difference would a compact make for this? I'm assuming that the compact double would probably be a 50/34 or thereabouts?

Or perhaps I should ask this question on the 'Dumb Questions' thread?
Or try to understand all that protoengineering discussion from another recent thread?

or if I think through my own question, then evidently the 34 combined with berts' rear cassette would have geared him down sufficiently to attempt the 13% grade?

centexwoody

You got it, Centex. A 39x23 will give him a 46inch low, a 34x23 will ease that off to a 40. For me, it takes about a 3 inch difference to really be noticable. Berts is probably a strong rider...for terrain so varied, I'd go on to couple that compact to a wider ranged cassette-- but thereby give up a greater selection of gears to use in the narrower range we ride in mostly. Most of the time, we need only a slightly lower gear for head wind, rollers, etc. Hence Berts desire for a second wheel, or wider range cassette, to use for climbing days. Mozeltov!

*Berts, I just realized I'm speaking for you...apologies.
Old 10-03-06, 11:06 AM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thnx - perhaps I'm slowly beginning to understand one of the more important mysteries of the cycling universe
Old 10-03-06, 11:39 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
You got it, Centex. A 39x23 will give him a 46inch low, a 34x23 will ease that off to a 40. For me, it takes about a 3 inch difference to really be noticable. Berts is probably a strong rider...for terrain so varied, I'd go on to couple that compact to a wider ranged cassette-- but thereby give up a greater selection of gears to use in the narrower range we ride in mostly. Most of the time, we need only a slightly lower gear for head wind, rollers, etc. Hence Berts desire for a second wheel, or wider range cassette, to use for climbing days. Mozeltov!

*Berts, I just realized I'm speaking for you...apologies.
No apologies needed.
I chose the 12-23 because I like the small differentials between changes enabling me to maintain cadence and speed over the varied terrain and conditions you mentioned above - however when it comes to monster hills that's another story. Since I know the type of terrain I'll be riding in advance, I figured it would be best to have a dedicated hill climbing wheel with more suitable gears.
Old 10-03-06, 11:57 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Berts-wow.....that's a really hard gear to push up a 13% grade! Especially if it's over a long distance. I can certainly see why your legs revolted on you! You know better than I but a 12/27 for climbing does provide some relief but if you're doing lots of climbing a Compact Crank is not a bad choice. You can then add a cassette to keep your gears closer to together.