Thread: Rode my age!

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode my age!

A little over a year ago, I had never ridden a bike much more than 20 miles. Yesterday, after turning 60 a few days earlier, I rode my first 60-miler in Michigan's "Blue Water Ramble". It was actually a tad over 63 miles, so I also did my first "metric century". And I think I found out that it's possible to ride 60 miles and [i]gain[/] weight (great rest stops and lunch!).

The day could not have been much better weather-wise -- one of those Autumn chilly but not-a-cloud-in-the-sky mornings. I rode solo, which meant that I was pushing the wind by myself much of the way, but my average riding speed was about 14.5mph.

My GPS, which usually matches my cyclometer very closely, read 64.7 miles at the finish. I was wondering why until I realized that I had kept it on all the time, so it had recorded the mileage crossing the St. Clair River on the ferries that took us over to Ontario and back.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job. Once you do 60 miles, you can do 80 you can do 100. Now you'll start thinking about which shorts to wear on which ride, Gatorade vs. Powerade, which ring to ride, stand/sit, etc. It's fun.

I, too, have found that I can gain weight on a ride. I rode 53 miles on the "ride for pie" day and gained weight. It might have been the fish'n'chips for lunch and the large piece of pie washed down with half a Pepsi and a glass of milk.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations! I'm always delighted when someone in the 50+ forum rides his/her age for the first time. I haven't done many longish rides, but I vividly remember when I accomplished that feat! It feels great, doesn't it???
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cudos! An accomplishment worth celebrating. I trust that you did?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, DougG! Very nice touch to do the metric as well as your age. I am preparing for a 57 miler in November myself. I am anticipating it greatly and that helps me appreciate the feat you accomplished. Again I say, Congratulations!
    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --General George S. Patton

Best regards,

Duhhuh

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats, DougG. I remember when I first started riding, 5 miles seemed like a long ride. To be 50+ and reach the point where you can ride your age is no small accomplishment, to me.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats DougG!
    I remember my birthday ride last year, (51)
    I never thought I could possibly ride so far. Now a year later 50+ miles is just a nice way to spend some time during the day. Keep at it!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 51 and recently rode my first century. It was a blast. I was really suprised at how much I had in the tank at the end. I think it has alot to do with what you set out to do. If you're thinking of riding 60, you'll finish pretty spent. If you know you're riding 100, you can do it.