Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wife's new Bike...did it to myself

This year we both got new asphalt bikes...a Trek 7300 for Mrs. M., a Trek 7.5fx for me. The 7.5 is quick, agile, and a good climber, everyhing the 7300 isn't.

So, after losing a lung on our last ride, she decided enough is enough, and picked out a new bike for herself.

It's incredible, she chose a little Opus with a roadie drive train, carbon fork, and with a final gear ratio of 52/11 (my Trek is 48/11), I can't keep up with her. This bike is FAST!, and a lot less expensive than the Trek.

Back to the drawing board..His and hers new bikes (will post a pic of HER bike when it stops raining)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jm01; 10-02-06 at 10:04 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a US equivalent to the OPUS brand?
    After I got a 7.5 for my birthday this year, my wife let it be known the the next bike purchase would be a new bike for her, x-mas is comming, and my up grade list is growing. I agree with you on the 7.5, but thinner tires, and a carbon fork would make it better. and maybe a 52 up front.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got an older 7500, and compared to a real road bike it's a REAL DOG. But it's good for its original purpose of short trips and commutes. The problem isn't just the tires or gearing, it's the whole geometry. I think I can see a road bike in your future!

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i hear that the 2007 Specialized Sirrus will be the same price as the Opus and has the same specs...and will have a carbon rear triangle as well

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec

I was going to wait for the Sirrus, but the Opus LBS reduced the price by $100 took her old hard tail as a trade-in for an additional $350, making it difficult to pass up.

Also, I wanted the Aluminum rear triangle because we mount panniers when we tour and I think that it may hold up better when loaded and on unpaved back roads

What a bike

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1
    Is there a US equivalent to the OPUS brand?
    After I got a 7.5 for my birthday this year, my wife let it be known the the next bike purchase would be a new bike for her, x-mas is comming, and my up grade list is growing. I agree with you on the 7.5, but thinner tires, and a carbon fork would make it better. and maybe a 52 up front.
    Far as I'm aware OPUS doesn't distribute in the states, BUT take a quick look at 2007 Treks: the 7.5 now has the same frame as the 7.6fx, and the carbon fork, though still with trekking (mtb) drivetrain; the 7.6fx adds compact road chainset and 28c tires for a little more; the 7.7 adds carbon rear end plus full 10 speed/triple road drivetrain. Also consider the Sirrus, and lots of choice, I'd say!

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by badger1
    BUT take a quick look at 2007 Treks: the 7.5 now has the same frame as the 7.6fx, and the carbon fork, though still with trekking (mtb) drivetrain; the 7.6fx adds compact road chainset and 28c tires for a little more; the 7.7 adds carbon rear end plus full 10 speed/triple road drivetrain.

nice bikes, but i have to protect my daughter's inheritance

The Opus (and Sirrus) is 60% less expensive than the 7.7fx and has a 30T granny that the 7.6fx should have

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't agree more; in our (Canadian) context Trek does seem a little over-priced even against Specialized, let alone domestics such as Opus or Devinci.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=jm01]

It's incredible, she chose a little Opus with a roadie drive train, carbon fork, and with a final gear ratio of 52/11 (my Trek is 48/11), I can't keep up with her. This bike is FAST!QUOTE]

Man alive.... I could never get away with a comment like this in my house. The words I would here are, " Honey, don't you mean you can't keep up with me, because I'm fast?"
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he he

Actually, it's something that I've learned with age, that if you wish to bike with spouse, make sure that she enjoys it.

So, I've made sure that her bikes are as good or better than mine, if there is the slightest problem with fit or performance, I make sure its addressed ASAP (once, I've swapped saddles with her in the middle of a ride because her's wasn't "just right"), and when we ride together, she always leads so that she can set the pace and not be frustrated...nothing worse than when you get outridden...its sometimes a show stopper for the future (there are a few people that I will no longer ride with because they consider a group ride a grand prix race or some kind of competition)

My problem now is that she has developed into an outstanding rider, both road and XC...I had to work hard to keep up with her new Opus, and when on the trails on her new Blur, she's always way out in front of the crowd (lucky for me I always ride the rear to help the slower riders and make sure thay don't get lost)

Next year we're planning a 6 day tour around Georgian Bay...here's hoping that we come back as a couple...I hear that it could be like hanging wallpaper