Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just tried out my new tires and WOW.

I just replaced the Bontrager Selects with Continental Grand Prix 4000's and I can't believe the difference. Honestly, the bike is faster and climbs better. I thought it might be the psychological factor, but on my short hop (25 miles) that I can make after coming home from work, I was almost a half an MPH faster and honestly it climbs easier. All this and it handles better and rides better. The Bontys were 700x25 and the Contis are 700x23. Expected them to be a little harsher, but they are better, and didn't expect to see any difference in performance, although I thought they would handle better. Is this for real?
    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --General George S. Patton

Best regards,

Duhhuh

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most "tests" will probably say that it is NOT real, or if there is a difference, it is almost insignificant.

BUT I am with you! I swear that at even my level of ability, the difference between a nice set of lightweight race-grade tires and something like Armidillos or Gatorbacks, is noticebale by the "seat of the pants." I am never going back to slow heavy tires merely for puncture protection.

Tyson
    Cushing, Oklahoma

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has a set of those and they are nice tires.

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I ripped up a Michelin Pro. Let LBS Mech talk me into Specialized All Condition Pro. Bad. Heavy, clunky. Michelins were much better, faster, smoother, lighter, etc.
    Just Peddlin' Around

one post at time
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by duhhuh
    I just replaced the Bontrager Selects with Continental Grand Prix 4000's and I can't believe the difference. Honestly, the bike is faster and climbs better. I thought it might be the psychological factor, but on my short hop (25 miles) that I can make after coming home from work, I was almost a half an MPH faster and honestly it climbs easier. All this and it handles better and rides better. The Bontys were 700x25 and the Contis are 700x23. Expected them to be a little harsher, but they are better, and didn't expect to see any difference in performance, although I thought they would handle better. Is this for real?
    I use Conti GP 4000's and love them. I buy them from ProBikeKit and they're quite reasonably priced.

// kak

My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep I had hutchinson carbon on one of my bikes which I replaced with the cont. 4000, made a world of difference all the way around
    " Advantages must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"
    He conquers who endures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey don't believe anybody who tells you that tires are tires. Rolling resistance from a clunker to a performance tire is as noticable as is riding with brake rub. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use armidillos on my All weather bike; lots of rolling resistance. I use Michellins' on my other road bike hardly any rolling resistance. The difference is quite noticible.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at those myself; thanks for posting this. But you didn't say what color you got!
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow good to hear. Ever since I wore off the center ridge of my Bontrager Selects, I have been feeling just terribly slow. I know it is time to replace the tires... This is the kind of incentive I need.

My Bikes
    Orbea Orca, Rocky MT Cross, BMC Pro,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bought the 4000's last Jan. i now have 3500 miles on them. they've been great, ride good drive good. ive only had 1 pinch flat from a pot hole i didnt see in time. highly rec. them.
    they show some signs of wear, but looking at the depth holes i should get an other 3500 miles.

karl

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also ride 4000s and find them good in both dry and wet conditions and very resistant to cuts. I have 2600 miles on mine and the rear is getting pretty squared. I just purchased another set. Probikekit seems to have the best prices.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others I notice the difference in tires as well. I use a heavier Vredestein on my training wheels and use the Continentals on my "performance wheels". There's a huge difference in weight, smoothness of ride, etc. Both seem to be very good at avoiding punctures...
    Ride your Ride!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyres are a very important factor on setting up a bike. Most mountain bikes come with a heavy treaded tyre and the tread does not do a great deal to give grip for offroad. The type of tread- the rubber quality and the carcase do a lot to affect the tyre handling. Many moons ago- I went and bought a pair of Lighter weight tyres that were designed for mud use. I actually started to beat my mates up the trickier ascents. I put it down to the tread pattern but I started to beat my mates on sprints on the flat bits aswell. The tread was giving me grip but it was that lighter tyre and the more flexible carcase that was giving me the edge.

I forget how many types of tyre I have tried since but I always come back to a certain type of tyre. Narrower than most will use- Give me less drag and bites through the mud to give grip, Kevlar beaded to lose weight on the tyre and the other thing is the flexiblitlty of the sidewall. I use a very thinwall tyre- because it flexes a bit more. Loses weight aswell and unfortunately also a bit of reliability- but I can put up with that.

Now going onto a road tyre- What do you want? Performance tyres do work- but they lose a bit of tyre life- they can be a bit more prone to punctures and they can give a harsh ride. As far as I am concerned- I want the biggest edge I can get from all the bike- and tyres are a big edge. I use 700x26 at present and no problems. Mind you the contact area is pretty small at 120psi. I know that when they come up for replacement- I will be looking at a lighter tyre- I will be looking at as narrow as I can get- And I hope that I am just as pleased with my choice as the OP.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola
    I was looking at those myself; thanks for posting this. But you didn't say what color you got!
    Actually, the way this came about is the old Raleigh needed tires, so I decided to take the Bontys off the Trek and put them on the Raleigh and then put new ones on the Trek. The Bontys only had about 450 miles on them. If I had known, I would have put the Contis on the Trek when I got it. Anyhoo, it is a 2005 1500 with that red white and blue color scheme, so I put black on black tires on it. I guess I could have put red or blue, but just didn't. Anyhoo, even though I have not tried many brands and am no expert, I think I will stick with the GP 4000s. I just can't imagine anything riding and handling any better. If it did, I might not be able to stand it. LOL.
    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --General George S. Patton

Best regards,

Duhhuh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gear
    I use armidillos on my All weather bike; lots of rolling resistance. I use Michellins' on my other road bike hardly any rolling resistance. The difference is quite noticible.
    +1 regarding the Armadillos.

If I didn't sometimes get 6-7 goatheads in my regular tires on one ride, I would dump the Armadillos.

The best tire I ever found was Conti Ultra 2000's.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone