User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I screwed up with tires

I just ordered some Schwalbe Marathon Plus in a 27 x 32mm and I think I should have ordered the 28s.What do you think? I think I should be able to change the order as I just put it in yesterday. Thanks George
    George

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a 27 inch tire I prefer a 32 over a 28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 32's are a tad heavier and a bit slower to accelerate but better load carriers and can provide better traction on loose surfaces and better flotation over bumpy surfaces. If you ride a lot of badly surfaced roads, the 32's could be a better choice.

Are you sure you're riding 27 inch wheels? ... I don't see many of them anymore.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    The 32's are a tad heavier and a bit slower to accelerate but better load carriers and can provide better traction on loose surfaces and better flotation over bumpy surfaces. If you ride a lot of badly surfaced roads, the 32's could be a better choice.

Are you sure you're riding 27 inch wheels? ... I don't see many of them anymore.
    +1...the Marathon Plus is a very heavy tire because of that layer of protective rubber behind the tread...I use them in 700x38 on my commuters, find them to be very stable, they roll well if pumped up to +60lb, and can handle loaded panniers without lateral slipping.

A nice tire...these for the 7500fx?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No but pretty close I have the FX 7300.I think they are pretty much the same bike with upgraded parts.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd definitely go with the 32s. They will not require pumping up as often, give better traction on metal gratings, and ride better. I've got 622 X 40 Marathon Plus, and they are the best non-winter bike tire I have ever used.

Paul

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run 700c x 32 for touring and carry a 700c x 30 Scwalbe folding tire for an extra. I run max pressure but you can let the pressure down and get a smoother ride. I have never had a flat caused by puncture. If I was doing nothing but road and an occasional gravel trail I might go with 28's.

In my experience you will need to have at least three tire irons (thin type, not "quick sticks")or you will never get a new one on the rim. They're tough tires.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry they are 700 x 35 Bontrager and they feel like anchors,and the walls are very thin.I had a thorn just barely punturing the wall and got a flat.It looked like it was laying on the sidewall and I brushed it off and that was it.
    George

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George, It depends on your usage and riding conditions. I ride a 28 for nearly everything. If I was going to do a lot of gravel or rough roads I would go with a 32. I am 225 pounds so my normal riding is like loaded touring for many, and the 28s are just great.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George McClusky
    No but pretty close I have the FX 7300.I think they are pretty much the same bike with upgraded parts.
    Yep, same frame, just a component upgrade to LX on the 7500fx (my kid rides one)...

That's a very heavy tire with a deep tread for the 7300fx...even a 700x28c will not roll as well as a road tire...unless you ride through a lot of broken glass, I'd think that a lighter tire may be more suitable.

BTW...I just got my first flat on a Marathon Plus last week...1" nail went deep enough to scratch the rim...but I'm always pulling out bits of glass and staples without a problem. Hate riding in the city

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry guys and I thank for your help, but I ended up with the Gatorskins 700x 28. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice on the Gatorskins...I use them on my long ride bike (25's) and find them a fine cross between puncture resistance, durability, and "performance".
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)