My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last Week's Excellent Trip (10/01/2006)

http://www.customized-applications.com/bicycle/id71.htm

... and that's what it was like to ride in Northern Illinois last weekend.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting the pics. It looks like a fun ride.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got to say the busy roads your were on really look narrow. I wonder if it is a function of the camera.
    Thanks for the report and Pics.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycle
    http://www.customized-applications.com/bicycle/id71.htm

... and that's what it was like to ride in Northern Illinois last weekend.
    Hey Recycle,
    This is our town you have documented. My wife and I enjoyed your trip report a lot.
    Next we asked ourselves; Do we want to do that? Nooo....! Why not?
    Well, we are Tandem bikers. That means we enjoy high speed and NO (emphatic NO) cars.
    We go through great lengths to avoid traffic. We found our paradise north of the border in Wisconsin.
    !00 miles one way from Wisconsin Dells to the Mississippi and up. All Trails, no cars.
    But we enjoyed your excellent report.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p8rider
    I've got to say the busy roads your were on really look narrow. I wonder if it is a function of the camera.
    No camera effects. That was one narrow son-of-a-*** road.
    The routing would have been reasonable if it wasn't for the main road detour. The continuous heavy traffic in both directions is what made it a white knuckle ride. At one point eight or ten cars were queued up behind us and there was no visible end to the oncomming traffic. It was in a half mile no passing zone, so we pulled off the road to let traffic clear.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    Hey Recycle,
    This is our town you have documented. My wife and I enjoyed your trip report a lot.
    Next we asked ourselves; Do we want to do that? Nooo....! Why not?
    Well, we are Tandem bikers. That means we enjoy high speed and NO (emphatic NO) cars.
    We go through great lengths to avoid traffic. We found our paradise north of the border in Wisconsin.
    !00 miles one way from Wisconsin Dells to the Mississippi and up. All Trails, no cars.
    But we enjoyed your excellent report.
    Will,
    Glad you enjoyed the trip report. We certainly enjoyed riding thru north Rockford and want to return to play around more in Rock Cut State Park. We also want to ride some of those WI rail trails you mentioned after we complete this Grand Illinois Trail circuit.

You might enjoy a ride we made recently from Capron to Richmond via State Line Road. We rode it on a Sunday afternoon and might have seen 10 cars in 30 miles. There was one good climb up a ridge similar to the ones around Galena. Photos from that trip are on that same website http://www.customized-applications.com/bicycle/id72.htm

It is interesting, the different ways people enjoy cycling. My wife and I cruise at about 15 m/h, but stop every couple of miles to take a photo, watch a hawk circle or a heron fish, or just listen to the wind. Our average point to point speed counting all stops is about 8 m/h

We don't particularly like to play in the traffic, but will ride open road routes if the traffic isn't too heavy. The white knuckle routes for us are the ones with heavy traffic in both directions and no shoulders, like that road east from the south entrance to Rock Cut State Park. We do, however, have limits, and draw the line at high speed roads with bad sight lines because of sharp crested hills or sharp curves.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Recycle,
    We are Tandem bikers. A car to bike accident is too horrific to imagine. I know that Harlem road very well. I am not brave enough to go there with my Tandem. We are grateful for Rails to Trails.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will,

What were the roads like when you made that TransAm ride? Did you get into a lot of traffic?

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycle
    Will,

What were the roads like when you made that TransAm ride? Did you get into a lot of traffic?
    Let me give you a detailed answer:
    We did the Fast Southern Trip. That means 120 to 150 miles/day. The idea was to RACE as fast as we could across the USA. That means at the side of expressways in some Western states. Very heavy traffic but safe because the shoulders are wide. We had a special permit to do that. Next we went on secondary country roads. Traffic was often light but road surfaces were often terrible. Occasionally we traveled on busy roads. I did not feel threatened because there were so many bikers that the car drivers became aware of us.

In case you are thinking to do that. There is a 80 miles/day tour with the same outfit and support. This tour is more scenic and selects low traffic roads.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    Let me give you a detailed answer:
    We did the Fast Southern Trip. That means 120 to 150 miles/day. The idea was to RACE as fast as we could across the USA. That means at the side of expressways in some Western states. Very heavy traffic but safe because the shoulders are wide. We had a special permit to do that. Next we went on secondary country roads. Traffic was often light but road surfaces were often terrible. Occasionally we traveled on busy roads. I did not feel threatened because there were so many bikers that the car drivers became aware of us.

In case you are thinking to do that. There is a 80 miles/day tour with the same outfit and support. This tour is more scenic and selects low traffic roads.
    Is there one that goes 40 miles a day??
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy that brings back some memories. I grew up (before cycling) in Belvidere. I always wished that I could have done some real cycling in the region, as I recall from the late 60's that there was a fantastic array of blacktop roads in the area. Anyway, thanks for the memories.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"