Thread: Info needed...

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Info needed...

I've been reading a little about this dreaded "dork disk." Now that I know what it is I need to know what to do about it. If I remove it what are the chances I will regret the decision when I have a chain come off and tear things up? On the other hand, will I now have to go around hoping the cool guy with the tight bike shorts and colorful jersey riding the $2,000 bike will not be laughing at me when he passes... Now I've always been practical before cool...well at least in my later years...so I need some help here, cool or practical?

And while I'm at it, what about helmets? Do most of you wear them? At first I felt like a little kid but now I think they're a good thing...any thoughts?
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only dorks don't wear helmets.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Only dorks don't wear helmets.

Yeah but what about the disk?
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lose the dork disk.... if your rear der is set up right you will never need it. However if your bike was set up by that pimpley faced kid at Walmart keep it on...... you will need it.
    Carpe who?

Last one to the top... Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I choose to exercise my OCP nature by ensuring that I have the best, shiniest chrome dork disk I can find. I shun plastic dork disks.... they're not pretty!

Ride the dork disk with pride... If the person passing you laughs, just know that you brightened his/her day. And besides, someone may laugh so hard that you are able to pass them.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last one to the top... Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I always wear a helmet.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin
    I choose to exercise my OCP nature by ensuring that I have the best, shiniest chrome dork disk I can find. I shun plastic dork disks.... they're not pretty!

Ride the dork disk with pride... If the person passing you laughs, just know that you brightened his/her day. And besides, someone may laugh so hard that you are able to pass them.

Well mine's plastic. OK...that's it. I'm on my way to the garage as we speak.
    Mark

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please wear a helmet especially if you are anywhere near a car.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    Please wear a helmet especially if you are anywhere near a car.
    I ride motorcycles as well...woudn't be caught dead without it...so to speak.
    Mark

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was younger, it was really important to have all the "right stuff" on my bike. So I had to have Campag Record stuff, I had to have an Italian frame. When Sean Kelly was using Mavic stuff, it was then OK to have Mavic retrofriction levers and a Vitus frame.

But now that I'm in my 50's with a lifetime of riding bikes, I couldn't care less what I've got on the bike as long as it works. I've got a Centaur rear derailleur and Daytona shifters on my Trek 5200 (well, the shifters are actually Centaur, but I think Centaur is a really dumb name for a component group, so I replaced the brake lever (it says "Centaur" on it) unit with the ones from a set of Daytona shifters (yup, they've got "Daytona" written on them, much cooler)). My tandem has got Tektro mini-V brakes on the front and a set of very long reach Tektro dual pivots on the back (which cost me $9.95 from Bike Tools Etc. in Oregon). My fixed gear bike is a hodge-podge of components that were cast off of other bikes to make room for even fancier components, or components I am testing for reliability in Vancouver wet winter riding.

So I would say, if you are a mature and experienced cyclist, you shouldn't really care what's on your bike as long as it works. I would keep the dork disk on if only to lull some dumb hot dog into trying to blow past you. The poor devil will feel even worse when you drop him on the hill with your dork disk, heh, heh...

And wear a helmet if you think you're capable of going fast enough to need one.

- L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must confess...I had mine removed from my Sirrus hybrid...my Bianchi came without one...to tell you the truth...I don't really think much about it.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dork disc will probably break eventually. Then you can tear it off and not replace it.
    Only wear a helmet if you have a brain to protect.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

dbg
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek 5900 Superlight, 2001 Lemond BA, Dozen other muts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't wear a helmet please be extra sure to sign the back of your driver's license for organ donation. Organ and tissue donation saves lives.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA (Trek 5900 Superlight), (Lemond BA), (Peugeot UO8 (SS)), (Dozen other muts)

"The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous; everyone hasn't met me yet" --Rodney Dangerfeld

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The helmet, safety vest, slow moving vehicle sign, and plastic dork disk all contribute my stylish cyclist image.

Attachment 26531

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man
    I ride motorcycles as well...woudn't be caught dead without it...so to speak.

You have a dork disc on your motorcycle?
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Darwin
    I choose to exercise my OCP
    What is OCP? please
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwarrior
    What is OCP? please
    "Occassionally Classy Prince" or "...Princess"

Metric Man needs to follow Little Darwin's advice and replace the plastic with chrome. You should be able to find one at any respectable dump. They are very classic. In fact they are hip. Here's a few pics of this important bike component on a few of my rides; a mid '60s, an early '70s (prior to proper restoration), and a late '70s vintage "Spoke Protectors." Please don't insult the genious of the engineers who devoloped this essential piece of bicycle history by refering to it as a "Dork Disk." Thank you very much!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwarrior
    What is OCP? please
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder...I think.
    Mark

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder...I think.
    It has been modified for bicycling - please note its frequent use in the Roadie forum.

Obsessive Compulsive Poseur

And - who cares what others think, anyway?

I keep my dork disks on until they fall off.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dork disks add to the flywheel effect of your rotating tire. Thus you will be able to go farther with less effort when you hit the flat at the end of your downhill speed run. It can even help you on the uphills. The small amount of energy you expend to get the disk up to speed will pay dividends. I am thinking of getting one in say a 25 inch diameter made of depleted uranium. Once I get it up to speed I won't have to pedal again for 20 miles!

(For those OCP's that may pop in from the road forum, this is a joke.)

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycle
    The helmet, safety vest, slow moving vehicle sign, and plastic dork disk all contribute my stylish cyclist image.

Attachment 26531
    Looks like me, only skinnier.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillisB
    Dork disks add to the flywheel effect of your rotating tire. Thus you will be able to go farther with less effort when you hit the flat at the end of your downhill speed run. It can even help you on the uphills. The small amount of energy you expend to get the disk up to speed will pay dividends. I am thinking of getting one in say a 25 inch diameter made of depleted uranium. Once I get it up to speed I won't have to pedal again for 20 miles!

(For those OCP's that may pop in from the road forum, this is a joke.)
    Why didn't I think of that? Depleted uranium dork plates.....may have to sneak on Fort Hood and lift a few anti-tank rounds.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Obsessive Compulsive Poseur

And - who cares what others think, anyway?

I keep my dork disks on until they fall off.
    "Obvious Cycling Priss"

Chrome ones have better longevity. They'll last for many decades!
    Bob

Visit my websites:

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And please, give the honor and due to the mechanic or engineer who invented them--- "Spoke Protectors!"
    Bob

Visit my websites:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
    "Obvious Cycling Priss"

Chrome ones have better longevity. They'll last for many decades!
    Then I would have to play mechanic trying to figure out how to mount them, I would get mad and say some things unpastorly, and break something else, ending up with an expensive bill at the LBS!
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast