Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-07-06, 03:31 PM   #1
CrossChain

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drag culture vs. Bike culture.

Just got back from watching my son smoke his tires and boost his turbo for a quarter mile. Haven't been to the drags since high school. Whoa!

Mostly I looked at FiftyPlus types-- there were lots of them. This was an annual Event, much like an organized with food stops and wrist bands bike ride. Except: Most 50Plussers today had black, manufacturer logo T-shirts, paunches, and a Bud. Their wives/gf's had tattoos (my favorite was a rampant eagle on each breast and Old Glory sort of tucked into her cleavage as if rippling in the wind.) The smell of burnt rubber, tri-tip BBQ, and high octane was everywhere. And, of course, the thunder of crankshaft snapping POWER. I cheered when my son surged ahead of the guy in the blown, 4WD STI.......little clutch popper punk thinking he could beat My Kid. All you parents can smile with shared recognition ....been watching The Kid since pre-school soccer days all the way up through 2 lawn chairs to today. Probably go on watching him for a long time more I hope.

Anyway, there may seem to be an apparent gulf between those aging guys with Elvis haircuts and a little quieter us. But, the passion for an engaging Interest is common. We talk about carbon vs. steel, Shimano vs. Campy; they argue Ford vs. Chevy. Nice to see people our age "out there" and not terminally interred in a recliner chair. Especially the victorious, white haired olde pharte in the candy apple '55 Chevy-- naturally aspirated with twin four-barrels, of course.

It was a nice day, including the P-51 Mustang that strafed the crowd with more ear splitting thrills. One heck of a day for excitement and carbon emissions. Maybe a quiet ride tomorrow morning?

Last edited by CrossChain; 10-07-06 at 07:55 PM.
CrossChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 05:04 PM   #2
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Hang out with those guys for long enough and spending $4,000 for a bike that you still have to pedal seems totally sane.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 05:16 PM   #3
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I saw the subject and thought this might be one of those leg shaving threads.
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 06:09 PM   #4
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollusk
I saw the subject and thought this might be one of those leg shaving threads.
+1

But once again, well written, Cross! You do have a command of the Queen's English!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 07:31 PM   #5
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600
I won a trophy drag racing in my VW Beetle back in '69 or so -- I was the only one in that class that night. To make it fun, they put my up against a 'vette and gave me a 10 second spot. The 'vette beat me by .01 seconds. Maybe if I'd used more Mystery Oil...
jazzy_cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-06, 11:45 PM   #6
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
I won a trophy drag racing in my VW Beetle back in '69 or so -- I was the only one in that class that night. To make it fun, they put my up against a 'vette and gave me a 10 second spot. The 'vette beat me by .01 seconds. Maybe if I'd used more Mystery Oil...
I'll bet the guy in the 'vette was sweatin' it.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-06, 01:05 AM   #7
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
VW vs anybody

I've always heard that a VW Beetle could out-drag any other car ever made...

across an intersection...
Old 10-08-06, 04:57 AM   #8
milt

Bikes:
jazzy_cyclist:
Used to drag race a VW hatchback in '70-'72. Twin webers, cam, big bore - a real sleeper! What a blast that was!
-Milt
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-06, 07:57 AM   #9
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
The nice thing about VW drag cars is that they're light and quick and it's real easy to take the engine out to work on. that's a good thing because you have to do that a lot.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote