Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drag culture vs. Bike culture.

Just got back from watching my son smoke his tires and boost his turbo for a quarter mile. Haven't been to the drags since high school. Whoa!

Mostly I looked at FiftyPlus types-- there were lots of them. This was an annual Event, much like an organized with food stops and wrist bands bike ride. Except: Most 50Plussers today had black, manufacturer logo T-shirts, paunches, and a Bud. Their wives/gf's had tattoos (my favorite was a rampant eagle on each breast and Old Glory sort of tucked into her cleavage as if rippling in the wind.) The smell of burnt rubber, tri-tip BBQ, and high octane was everywhere. And, of course, the thunder of crankshaft snapping POWER. I cheered when my son surged ahead of the guy in the blown, 4WD STI.......little clutch popper punk thinking he could beat My Kid. All you parents can smile with shared recognition ....been watching The Kid since pre-school soccer days all the way up through 2 lawn chairs to today. Probably go on watching him for a long time more I hope.

Anyway, there may seem to be an apparent gulf between those aging guys with Elvis haircuts and a little quieter us. But, the passion for an engaging Interest is common. We talk about carbon vs. steel, Shimano vs. Campy; they argue Ford vs. Chevy. Nice to see people our age "out there" and not terminally interred in a recliner chair. Especially the victorious, white haired olde pharte in the candy apple '55 Chevy-- naturally aspirated with twin four-barrels, of course.

It was a nice day, including the P-51 Mustang that strafed the crowd with more ear splitting thrills. One heck of a day for excitement and carbon emissions. Maybe a quiet ride tomorrow morning?
    Last edited by CrossChain; 10-07-06 at 07:55 PM.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang out with those guys for long enough and spending $4,000 for a bike that you still have to pedal seems totally sane.

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the subject and thought this might be one of those leg shaving threads.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk
    I saw the subject and thought this might be one of those leg shaving threads.
    +1

But once again, well written, Cross! You do have a command of the Queen's English!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won a trophy drag racing in my VW Beetle back in '69 or so -- I was the only one in that class that night. To make it fun, they put my up against a 'vette and gave me a 10 second spot. The 'vette beat me by .01 seconds. Maybe if I'd used more Mystery Oil...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
    I won a trophy drag racing in my VW Beetle back in '69 or so -- I was the only one in that class that night. To make it fun, they put my up against a 'vette and gave me a 10 second spot. The 'vette beat me by .01 seconds. Maybe if I'd used more Mystery Oil...
    I'll bet the guy in the 'vette was sweatin' it.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VW vs anybody

I've always heard that a VW Beetle could out-drag any other car ever made...

across an intersection...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jazzy_cyclist:
    Used to drag race a VW hatchback in '70-'72. Twin webers, cam, big bore - a real sleeper! What a blast that was!
    -Milt

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
    The nice thing about VW drag cars is that they're light and quick and it's real easy to take the engine out to work on. that's a good thing because you have to do that a lot.