User Tag List

My Bikes
    Croll 531c/Campagnolo and Schwinn City Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First real ride in 20 years

Well, I'm officially a rider again as of today. First real bike ride in 20 years -- last one was when I was 30, I'm 50 this year.

I spent a good part of last year building my bike up, and believe it or not, it just sat all summer this year. Along the way, I'd go for very short "test rides" -- but that was it.

I looked at that bike today and thought "now or never". So off I went.

Spent an hour or so riding around the historic district of my town -- no traffic to speak of on Sunday. I wish I had taken the bike out to the country (not a long drive), but I'm happy with the in-town ride I had.

Blue skies, sunshine, leaves turning brilliant colors, warm temps (all things considered), and not even a slight breeze for a head wind.

Does it get any better than that?

The only complaint is tight riding shoes -- I have wide feet and the only reason I stopped at one hour was my feet feeling like they were in a vise. I'm hoping that they will stretch over time (the shoes, not my feet). ;-)

Needless to say, I'm enjoying the immense pleasure of bedroom slippers at the moment.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic and welcome back to the riding scene!! I don't want to burst your bubble but I suspect the shoes will not get a lot more comfortable. Of course you're going to need to use them more than once every 20 years to find out!!!! Good luck on getting that one resolved!!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Back OldCrank!
    Glad to hear you are riding. Nasty weather here today, no riding

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back, oldcrank! I know how you feel! When I started riding a couple of years ago I hadn't ridden since age 16, when I'd gotten my driver's license. I hope you get "addicted" to it like I did! It really grows on you!

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcrank
    Well, I'm officially a rider again as of today. First real bike ride in 20 years -- last one was when I was 30, I'm 50 this year.

I spent a good part of last year building my bike up, and believe it or not, it just sat all summer this year. Along the way, I'd go for very short "test rides" -- but that was it.

I looked at that bike today and thought "now or never". So off I went.

Spent an hour or so riding around the historic district of my town -- no traffic to speak of on Sunday. I wish I had taken the bike out to the country (not a long drive), but I'm happy with the in-town ride I had.

Blue skies, sunshine, leaves turning brilliant colors, warm temps (all things considered), and not even a slight breeze for a head wind.

Does it get any better than that?

The only complaint is tight riding shoes -- I have wide feet and the only reason I stopped at one hour was my feet feeling like they were in a vise. I'm hoping that they will stretch over time (the shoes, not my feet). ;-)

Needless to say, I'm enjoying the immense pleasure of bedroom slippers at the moment.
    Try velcroing tham a bit loose when you strap them on...
    your feet tend to swell wearing cycling shoes!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go..........your cronies here at BF50Plus love stories like this...warms our hearts....encourages us...goes way beyond pushing pedals to something reassuring and healthy in all kinds of ways. Keep turning those pedals-- having overcome 20 years of bike inertia, can't stop now because a moving object is easier to accelerate and keep moving than one that's motionless. I meant to be congratulatory and ended up with a physics lesson....damned classroom teachers anyway.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the story well. Biked a lot in high school & college. Got away from it for 10 years. Purchased a new bike in the mid-80s but only rode it a little. Except for a couple of rides around the block, it sat in the garage until the fall of 2004. Got it out and rode it 4 times, short 1 mile rides. From 1977-2005 I rode less than 25 miles total.

Over the past couple of years, I've watched the State of Wisconsin building a bike trail right past my house. I've hiked on it several times. But I wanted to bike it.

Three weeks ago I took a long weekend in the Kickapoo Valley Reserve in central Wisconsin and took my bike with me. Did a 3 mile and a 4 mile ride. Loved it except for sore hands and rear. Over the last 3 weeks I've been fixing up my bike and taking a few more rides. Did 5 miles twice on the unfinished trail, rode at lunch twice. Today I did 8 miles on the trail - which is definitely much more work than 8 miles on a road, as much of it was soft and some was grassy. No coasting as there was too much resistance to coast, had to constantly peddle.

My legs feel the strongest they've felt in at least 5-6 years. And I've lost 6 pounds in those 3 weeks.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great to hear of anyone starting riding again- I had a novice out with me today- but he has been riding for a few years now, but today he did his first real ride. Even better is to hear of someone restarting- keep it up and the miles, and comfortable feet, will come.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Coromandel Peninsula North Island New Zealand
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon MTB ex-EBay planning to upgrade one day if I get the urge.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcrank
    oldcrank, welcome to the club. You may not realize it yet but you have joined a small elitist group who have made the giant leap from fantasizing about doing something to actually going out and doing it. It will only get better as your body strengthens up and you solve your footwear problem.

Please post your progress here, we've mostly all been through the same process and love to hear of others experiences
    Last edited by brigadon; 10-08-06 at 06:31 PM.

My Bikes
    LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go. I like cruising around the town on my bike. Your right about nice weather and cycling. Hardly feels like exercise!

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome back!!

I started riding again in the summer of 2005 after 15 years off, and I'm having a ball. Glad to see another rider back in the saddle.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it gets better each time you ride because you're doing it not remembering. Welcome back!
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Back. Lots of us in similar circumstances. I rode my first centry in 30 years this fall. Its good to be back.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oldcrank, With my welcome, I meant welcome back from your hiatus. I always enjoyed your posts and am glad to see you back. Just don't overdue it!