Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sheldon Brown's Health

Sheldon Brown's Health

Please see this on SB's Health. Sheldon is 61yo.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate when that happens. I wrote him a little note of thanks and encouragement.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish Sheldon all of the best and certainly hope he finds the cause of his illness and a way to stabilize or improve his condition. He has been a great source for me for learning all things cycling. It is hard to imagine Sheldon not on a bike. Good luck and get well.

Ray
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is so very sad. Sheldon has contributed so much to cycling, especially sensible cycling. He is so knowledgable and informative......and perhaps Harris Cyclery is the archetypal "olde fashioned" LBS. His spirit keeps this from being "tragic". The irony is especially difficult. Certainly couldn't happen to a more unlikely, nicer guy.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been following this. I've been a customer at Harris for most of my adult life. My Gunnar Street Dog was built there, under Sheldon's supervision.

He's definitely a highly spirted man, that's for sure. I've seen him ride his trike, and he does indeed get around quite well on it.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez.........the worst part has to be not knowing what the condition actually is and what the future holds.
    Ride your Ride!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great guy, very bad situation. I have never met Sheldon face-to-face, but feel as though I know him well through his web pages and his posts on the internet cycling forums. We all owe him a huge expression of gratitude for the gratis knowledge he has shared with us. I'll say a silent prayer that the cause of his condition is found and that it can be cured. I can't picture a world without Sheldon on two wheels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a moral to his condition - you can't guarantee what tomorrow will be like so you have to live at least partially in the here and now.

And here's a bit of advice from someone that's had three very bad conditions that doctors couldn't cure - ALWAYS be ready to go to another doctor. Eventually one will know what's up.

It took at least five doctors to solve my gout. Another six or seven to diagnose my Schotzky Ring. And after an even dozen including the head of the respiratory unit at the University of San Francisco Medical School and hours doing all sorts of tests, my regular doctor solved my lung problems and cured it.

Don't EVER be hesitant to get other opinions. That isn't showing a lack of faith in a particular doctor, it's recognizing that everyone's thinking processes work differently and someone else may pull the right answer off of the top of his head first try.