My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woo hoo, best wheelbuild ever!!

Just had to crow!

I just finished rebuilding the rear wheel for my tandem. It's a dishless wheel with a Hadley hub, Velocity Dyad rim and 40 DT Alpine spokes crossed four.

Final trueing required NO adjustment for dish, NO adjustment for radial runout and only 2 minor (1mm) side-to-side wobbles.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carpe who?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Just had to crow!

I just finished rebuilding the rear wheel for my tandem. It's a dishless wheel with a Hadley hub, Velocity Dyad rim and 40 DT Alpine spokes crossed four.

Final trueing required NO adjustment for dish, NO adjustment for radial runout and only 2 minor (1mm) side-to-side wobbles.
    Everything after the second sentence is Greek to me! But it sounds like you did something good.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You only get one day like this. Now, you'll have to quit cycling and find something else.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with DG...it does sound good. I know what rebuild the wheel is but the parts are greek or french er sumthin' But hey, I'm still trying to figure out what clipless is...
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, that's easy, Metric Man. Clipless means you got clips. Clear?
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's wonderful. You use a tensiometer I assume. I've built wheels using the tuning fork method, but I used pitch pipes. It lasted 2 years, not bad for a beginner. I first aligned everything by aligning it using only hand-tightening of the nipples, and then when I got it right, then I worked on tightening it without letting things shift too much.

What did you do this time different than previously?

My Bikes
    (see http://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Just had to crow!

Congratulations! Sounds like you did well. So, how is the tension? You have checked the tension…

- Wil
    "………………………" - Marcel Marceau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your successful wheel build. There are some days when everything just seems to go right. I haven't gotten up the nerve to build a wheel yet. I've got a great set of Ultegra/Mavic CXP33s on my Lemond and they've held up beautifully, no trueing needed in over three years and I'm 220#+. They were built at Colorado Cyclist.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, how long you been building wheels? I'm thinking of giving it a try. Meanwhile, I'm feeling pretty good about myself after re-dishing the rear wheel for my fixed gear conversion without it looking like a taco.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas
    That's wonderful. You use a tensiometer I assume. I've built wheels using the tuning fork method, but I used pitch pipes. It lasted 2 years, not bad for a beginner. I first aligned everything by aligning it using only hand-tightening of the nipples, and then when I got it right, then I worked on tightening it without letting things shift too much.

What did you do this time different than previously?
    I built my first wheel around 35 years ago. I've built enough since then that I don't know exactly how many I've done but it's in the low hundreds so I've had some practice. My procedure has gradually evolved over the years but I didn't do anything differently this time than I usually do. I've had some pretty good results before, but this one was really over-the-moon.

I think that the biggest key is starting with good components. The Dyad rim that i used, for example, must have been very round when I got it. That's a luck of the draw thing. Other than that, I laced the spokes, tightened them until I had about the same number of spoke threads showing and then slooowly brought the tension up 1/2 turn at a time. I knew it was going good when I only had to make very minor tension adjustments to bring all of the spokes equal on my tensiometer. Before I put the wheel on my trueing stand I held the axle in my hand and gave it a spin. I could tell then that I had a dandy.

I'm stoked!

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nermal
    Oh, that's easy, Metric Man. Clipless means you got clips. Clear?
    Uhhh, that's what I thought...I think.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is great you achieve something that your skills will let you do. When the end product turns out just that bit better than you expected it to be- then it is time to find the pie shop and celebrate. I am a mechanic and the only bit I do not do myself is wheel building. I will retrue wheels and replace spokes but I have a wheel builder that is excellent. When i see the final product that he comes up with- and use it- then I would rather pay him than struggle to get a wheel to his perfection, and not succeed.

Well done on the build- but where's the pics.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome. I'd need to apprentise to someone to learn how to build a wheel.
    I just "trued" my first wheel using the brake pad appraoch. It's probably as round as an egg but I can adjust the brake pads in tight to the wheel without either side scraping.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page