Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: The fix is in!

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fix is in!

Just finished my Schwinn World Sport thrift shop fixie conversion. Haven't even ridden it yet. Going to take it on a shakedown cruise around the neighborhood, then try 10 mi. or so on a MUP.

Used the original hub with red Loctite, lotsa torque and a BB lockring (sometimes called a "suicide hub" in the fixed gear forum). Got a NOS stem on eBay because the one with the bike was the wrong quill diameter (undersized) and too short a reach. New Vittoria Zaffiro tires from Nashbar. Anything chrome or aluminum got polished with Simichrome. Sold removed components on eBay. Trued the wheels on the bike; they were in pretty good shape. For now I'm just swapping the pedals from my road bike when I want to ride it.

Gearing: 40/15

Sheldon Brown's site was invaluable, of course. Got the sprocket and chainring spacers from Harris.

If I take to riding fixed I might strip and repaint the frame next year, and get a "real" fixed gear hub.

Now to see if anything falls off...
    Last edited by bcoppola; 10-10-06 at 07:29 AM.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look forward to hearing how it rides.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola
    Now to see if anything falls off...
    Probably only you ....

B'Dog
    2006 Gary Fisher Marlin MTB
    2004 Salsa LaRaza aka "Mmmm, Blue Salsa" (853 steel is real, baby!)
    2003 Kona Humu Humu Nuka Nuka Apua'A Singlespeed - Gone, but not forgotten
    1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
    1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
    1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride report

First, for BubbaDog: Did not! Nyah, nyah, nyah! Might have been a different story if I'd tried a trackstand, tho.

Well, it's different, that's for sure. And I like it. After a non-eventful neighborhood shakedown I took it on a flat MUP for about 10 miles. The path has some mild grades, with the biggest "hill" being a pedestrian overpass. I chose the 40/15 gearing to approximate my "fast" cruising gear on my road bike.

You definately feel it in the quads and, to a lesser degree, the knees. My knees are healthy so far -- knock wood. After being sharply reminded a few times that I cannot coast (I have a habit of standing and stretching my legs--whoops!) it was less of an adjustment than I'd feared. OTOH, I quickly got the hang of slightly "unweighting" over bumps.

The most interesting thing is that once you get to a nice cruising speed and cadence on a flat a sort of feedback mechanism actually assists you with pedaling. The momentum of the bike helps to push your legs thru the stroke.

On a slight upgrade, a bit more attention to pedaling in circles (i.e., pulling up on the pedals) is sufficient. Standing and mashing on the few "steeper" upgrades was kind of fun.

There wasn't a steep or long enough downhill to really get me spinning.

I was breathing harder and my legs felt a bit more tired than a comparable ride on my roadie, but that's the idea, no? Too bad the season is winding down. But hey, I can put it on the trainer...

I do need to adjust the position of my brake lever. It's too low and a bit of a reach for the brake lever. I'm only using the front brake after reading Sheldon Brown's article on braking. And I need better brakepads -- maybe the salmon Koolstops.
    Last edited by bcoppola; 10-09-06 at 02:42 PM.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride report
    The most interesting thing is that once you get to a nice cruising speed and cadence on a flat a sort of feedback mechanism actually assists you with pedaling. The momentum of the bike helps to push your legs thru the stroke.
    You will defintely be reminded of that once you get back on your geared bike after you've been riding fixed for a while. You'll encounter 'dead spots' through your pedalling stroke.....but your legs will quickly relearn to pedal through those spots.

Nice conversion, BTW.
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride report

I was breathing harder and my legs felt a bit more tired than a comparable ride on my roadie, but that's the idea, no? Too bad the season is winding down. But hey, I can put it on the trainer...
    Psssttt...you have the perfect winter bike. Simple, fixed, traction control, just what you need for winter.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jyossarian
    Psssttt...you have the perfect winter bike. Simple, fixed, traction control, just what you need for winter.
    But...it's so C-C-C-C-COLD! Seriously, I tried winter biking and didn't like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice! You'll be ready for that century on it next year

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! You are now one of us.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

My Bikes
    Guru new steel Lotus converted fixed Jamis sputnik
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats on the fixie!! I made one last spring all steel and an hooked big time I'm thinking about getting a new frame with carbon chain & seat stays( like on my roadie) for more comfort running a 42x15
    Attached Images Attached Images