User Tag List

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2006 Bianchi Giro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All clear - and extra good news

Got the all-clear from the doctor today. No more cracked kneecap on the X-ray! He also expressed amazement that I don't suffer from chronic knee pain and arthritis since my kneecaps are "catty whompus". Not being quite up to date with such technical medical jargon, he explained that my kneecaps are out of alignment. He showed me how they are supposed to line up a certain way on the x-ray and mine...don't!

What was way cool was that he said my lack of pain is due to the tolerance of an elite athlete (or some other such nonsense, but it made my 50-year-old heart jump for joy!). I know that sounds braggy, but I really don't mean it to. I'm about as elite an athlete as...well, any other person who prefers moving to deteriorating. Had severe scoliosis as a kid, so a big chunk of my spine is fused (T11-L4). Over the years I've been offered enough pain killers to stock a pharmacy - but I always go back to the realization that I know my body, and I can "cure" what ails it painwise by getting off my behind. I just have to be systematic, patient, and smart about it.

What it is testimony to is that keeping strong is the way to go. The doctor said I could start exercising again "as tolerated". Didn't tell him dauphin and I did 20 miles Sat. and another 20 Sunday.

Get busy living or get busy dying, as Tim Robbins says in Shawshank Redemption!
    2006 Bianchi Giro
    2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news on the knee front- Don't push it too hard too soon as Dauphin has not been riding too much recently- and I don't want you wearing him out.

If you don't know about it- get the quad muscles built up a bit before you start to put long milage in. They have not been too active recently so use them as an excuse to keep the rides shorter.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news!

When I had my "brain surgery" (don't laugh, and no derogatory comments, pls), the docs were absolutely amazed that I walked two miles the morning after the surgery, and I was only one of two persons in their experience with that procedure to get out of the hospital the very next day. I was about 62-63.

Lately, my wife's knee is so bad that she can only walk for short distances without an expensive brace. But she can bicycle 15-20 miles.

But, do take it easy.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - very glad to read the good news and i'm sure you are more than just relieved... i don't know what i'd do if i couldn't get on the bike for any period longer than a week...

- when i read about others' problems (such as Sheldon Brown's) it makes my problems seem inconsequential...

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your news really is good! I'm glad for you. Don't start off too hard, I wouldn't want Dauphin to harm himself trying to keep up with you!!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news!! I really got a chuckle out of your already riding 20 miles. It's amazing how we generally know what our bodies will tolerate, isn't it?
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am deeply touched for everyone's concern . . . about Dauphin.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta say that is great news but don't overdue and undo it. My best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
    "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." --General George S. Patton

Best regards,

Duhhuh

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear of your recovery. You may enjoy the miles even more. And enjoy the pie.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great stuff.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seafoam
    I always go back to the realization that I know my body, and I can "cure" what ails it painwise by getting off my behind. I just have to be systematic, patient, and smart about it . . . What it is testimony to is that keeping strong is the way to go.
    Great news, and a terrific attitude. May you keep it steady and strong on the road to recovery!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news, it is always great to get back into things after a layoff. You tend to appreciate the things you can't do when you can't do them.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS