Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Looks like winter

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Looks like winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 05:19 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by WillisB
Did you check the pressure in your tires?
Always do - 120 psi.

Never ride without checking first.
Old 10-10-06, 08:22 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
OK - the temp this am was 36F, with a weather forecast promise of about 50 with some sundhine in the PM.

So, I got all bundled up in many layers, and did my 22 mile ride. It was fun EXCEPT - why is everything (that is, me) so slow when it is colder. It was like pedaling through molasses!

Tires seemed more resistant
I had extra layers of clothing, so I had to work harder to pedal
etc., ?
There are a few reasons. Colder air is denser, which increases wind resistance. Colder tires have more rolling resistance. All the lubricants in hubs, BB etc are less pliable. Finally, extra clothes mean more weight and less flexibility of limbs and joints. Taken together they add up. Even if they add up to only 10% less efficiency (which is probably on the low side comparing 36 degrees to 76 degrees), it would be noticable.
Old 10-10-06, 09:09 PM
Just Do It !

Bikes: Litespeed Ti, Trek Carbon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Have you tried mountain biking?

Cold weather mountain biking is great! The trees block the worst of the wind and once the ground is frozen you don't have mud to contend with. The only really hard part is keeping your feet warm.
+1 to this! Mountain biking is a great workout when not able to ride our road bikes. Some of my favorite ride memories are being on a hardtail very late at night over a snow covered street riding toward a full moon that's lighting the way reflecting off the snow. Just the soft sound of the snow under the tires and moon light, so still and quiet. Priceless....

Last edited by VeganRider; 10-10-06 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-10-06, 11:09 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I feel guilty about whining to myself about the low 60's we're experiencing here in Paradise. Why, I had to wear both short sleeved, and a long-sleeved t-shirt for yesterday's ride.
Low 60s are my favorite temps. I don't like anything over 80.

Unfortunately, our average high is below 60 for nearly 7 months out of the year. With a couple of months where the morning temps are in the single digits. Don't see many bikes out then, except for a few crazy college students.
Old 10-11-06, 03:35 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Hope these are not ordinary bike fenders. Snow collects under them and friction turns the snow to Ice- that does get very heavy. MTB type are better so posting pics of the Bianchi for the rear fender and the Tandem for the front- That front on the Tandem may seem over the top but it stops mud flying off the tyre and into the face. Although if you have a rear rack fitted as the Tandem does- Fitted to the seat post- then a rear fender is superfluous
stapfam, thanks for your thoughts and by all means you are the MTB/off road king on 50+. The fenders I've mounted are the commuter style made by Planet Bike for 26" wheels. They fit close to the tires. I decided to go with these based on information from the Winter Cycling side of BF and from research elsewhere on the WWW. Our yearly snow fall is measured in feet, as in 10+ for a given winter. Also our daily high temps average well below freezing from December through March. Dry fluffy snow caking up the wheels will be the problem, but with the fenders close to the tires they will in effect clear the tires as the snow hits the mud guards on the back. I hope this works! I'll post pics of the bike by the weekend.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-12-06, 08:30 AM
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Also get the advantage of moving up a few hundred places on Bike Journal
+1

Back in January and February I had no trouble staying in the top 1,000. With last Saturday's century, I am back under 2,000. The Santa Fe Century next week will put me over the top for my annual mileage goal.
Old 10-14-06, 11:34 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I'm trying to work myself back into better shape, and I've had a lot of momentum in getting back into biking over the last month, I went out this morning under clear blue, 42 degree skies. A beautiful autumn day with the leaves in high color.

I rode for 50 minutes and it was great. Put on my Packer sweatshirt and used my cut-off gloves. Was sweating a bit by the time I got home. If anything, I was more comfortable than I was 3 weeks ago when it was 75.