Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like winter

I am sad. Looks like winter has started here in southwest Montana. Yesterday i rode about 32 miles, and I was cold. IT was in the upper 40's and I wore a Pearl Izumi jacket I picked up last year. (Well, also shorts, tights, a jersey and light polyproylene tee). I was cold! Today, we had snow this morning, howling winds and a winter-like gloom of clouds. I fear the outdoor riding season may be near over for the year. I am sad.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still great weather here in the Northeast...currently 76 degrees and just perfect for riding.

The weather's been so nice that the LBS's don't even have any winter gear out yet. Can't have everything I guess.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to admit that winter riding will probably have more cafe stops in it but that is all- I will be winter riding till the temp gets near freezing and it rains- Then sense takes over. Don't seem to have as much Snow over here as we used to but last winter we had about 3 months of near freezing weather that just made us dress appropriately. Leggings are a must and an extra layer for when you start is a good idea. The big problem though is the extremities- Hands and feet. Winter gloves- may not be cycling specific- do help on the hands. The feet though do cause me a problem. Best solution I have found is two pairs of socks with a plastic bag sandwiched between the two seem to work- but perhaps overshoes would work just aswell.

For those of you that cannot ride because there is 3' of snow or 2" of ice about- then I have no suggestions but for the majority of us- dressing appropriately will get us through the winter. That might even mean a long sleeve T for DG.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not good news . . . we're watching this front moving down from your neck of the woods.

We've had a wonderful Indian Summer in western Colorado but this system is supposed to knock 10 degrees off the highs. Still, looking at mid-50s is a whole lot better than shoveling snow!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried mountain biking?

Cold weather mountain biking is great! The trees block the worst of the wind and once the ground is frozen you don't have mud to contend with. The only really hard part is keeping your feet warm.

My Bikes
    Douglas Precision Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you don't suffer from seasonal affective disorder. When I lived in colder climes I would go into a terrible funk in the winter.
    Wag more, bark less

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradopenguin
    Not good news . . . we're watching this front moving down from your neck of the woods.

We've had a wonderful Indian Summer in western Colorado but this system is supposed to knock 10 degrees off the highs. Still, looking at mid-50s is a whole lot better than shoveling snow!
    Check the forecast for the front range - SNOW!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Puget Sound area, Seattle/Tacoma, still nice, this morning was 45 degrees. This afternoon its in the upper 60's looks like it may be a bit colder tomorrow.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel guilty about whining to myself about the low 60's we're experiencing here in Paradise. Why, I had to wear both short sleeved, and a long-sleeved t-shirt for yesterday's ride.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I feel guilty about whining to myself about the low 60's we're experiencing here in Paradise. Why, I had to wear both short sleeved, and a long-sleeved t-shirt for yesterday's ride.
    Did you get caught in any brush fires or smoke? Santa Ana's drying out your skin?
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Did you get caught in any brush fires or smoke? Santa Ana's drying out your skin?
    Nope! And no earthquake damage, either!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope! And no earthquake damage, either!
    And the Tsunami? From the earthquake in Japan? Are you ready for it? It's on its way.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the Tsunami? From the earthquake in Japan? Are you ready for it? It's on its way.
    That's why I kept the mountain bike. No problem.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I kept the mountain bike. No problem.
    I thought you would need a surfboard!

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you've got a guest room......
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For this winter I'm preparing my "Snow Cycle" to ride on snow mobile trails. I found it at the church yard sale in May, it's a custom made MTB from the mid '80s, no suspension, top of the line Suntour components, Shimano biopace triple crankset. I added fenders over the weekend, studded snow tires came yesterday. It will have a handlebar bag and a rear rack trunk for survival gear! I'll post pictures when it is trail ready.

I am determined not to stay exclusively indoors on a trainer this winter. Besides, by the time I finish, I'll have spent less than the cost of two lift tickets at the local ski mountain! Skiing has become boring, and other than a leg work out, there's not a great deal exercise involved.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winter is one of the best times to ride the hills in our area. During the summer it is too hot. Right now we are enjoying some nice weather with daytime temps in the upper 70s but later during the week we expect "hamsin" sort of like the hot Santa Ana winds in So. CA. only worse. I think I would prefer some cold weather for a change - even if it meant taking a break from the bike.

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not ready for winter either, here in Texas temps have been low 80's, but usually by the end of Oct. the cold fronts come in and it always drops the temp.down to low 50's and 40's. Yesterday was a high of 85, great day, and great ride.
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low 40's and 50's? Wow! Guess you really cook in the summer to make up for it, though.
    Predicting snow for the next couple of days up here in ND! Better get the bike out this morning before it starts!

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I am really looking forward to winter. Finally get nice cool dry air and the winds die down a bit. Also get the advantage of moving up a few hundred places on Bike Journal I have put my winter time in during my first 30 years in Chicago, now if I want to see snow I can take a vacation to play in it
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
    I added fenders over the weekend, studded snow tires came yesterday. It will have a handlebar bag and a rear rack trunk for survival gear! I'll post pictures when it is trail ready.

I am determined not to stay exclusively indoors on a trainer this winter. Besides, by the time I finish, I'll have spent less than the cost of two lift tickets at the local ski mountain! Skiing has become boring, and other than a leg work out, there's not a great deal exercise involved.
    Hope these are not ordinary bike fenders. Snow collects under them and friction turns the snow to Ice- that does get very heavy. MTB type are better so posting pics of the Bianchi for the rear fender and the Tandem for the front- That front on the Tandem may seem over the top but it stops mud flying off the tyre and into the face. Although if you have a rear rack fitted as the Tandem does- Fitted to the seat post- then a rear fender is superfluous
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do accept that it is snowing in any part of the USA.

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Light snow here tonight too they say. But, leaving for three weeks in Portland Oregon. Hoping that we don't have too much rain as am taking the trusty Merlin. Looks like Thur/Fri will be good riding weather there (but not here).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - the temp this am was 36F, with a weather forecast promise of about 50 with some sundhine in the PM.

So, I got all bundled up in many layers, and did my 22 mile ride. It was fun EXCEPT - why is everything (that is, me) so slow when it is colder. It was like pedaling through molasses!

Tires seemed more resistant
    I had extra layers of clothing, so I had to work harder to pedal
    etc., ?

Do I use too many commas?
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon SE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - the temp this am was 36F, with a weather forecast promise of about 50 with some sundhine in the PM.

So, I got all bundled up in many layers, and did my 22 mile ride. It was fun EXCEPT - why is everything (that is, me) so slow when it is colder. It was like pedaling through molasses!

Tires seemed more resistant
    I had extra layers of clothing, so I had to work harder to pedal
    etc., ?
    Did you check the pressure in your tires?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast