Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Am I missing something here?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

https://75.126.17.35/showthread.php?t=235470
Old 10-08-06, 04:41 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is he reading the same forum I am?
Old 10-08-06, 05:27 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK...... Who stole Farhorizon's Meds?
Old 10-08-06, 05:44 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe there's a connection between Far's departure and Blackberry's departure.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-08-06, 11:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
The 50+ forum is not very tolerant of opinions that they disagree with. About a half-dozen of the 50+ posters seem overeager to apply labels. I've decided to return the favor.

I didn't realize you guys were so....close minded
Old 10-09-06, 12:01 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't figure this one out except someone reacted to what they found to be narrow-mindedness. I always like the people who leave but, except for RC's rudeness and troll-like behavior, I've found no one here who is so horrible that I would feel driven away. Maybe my ex-wife who once said "Frick you and that fricking bicycle!". Should I raise my standards and lower my tolerance?

Unless..................I'm one of the half-dozen. I'd regret that. I tried to PM FarHorizon but I found his page closed-- at least to me. Does that mean I'm a Half Dozen?

Last edited by CrossChain; 10-09-06 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-09-06, 12:45 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
I can't figure this one out except someone reacted to what they found to be narrow-mindedness. I always like the people who leave but, except for RC's rudeness and troll-like behavior, I've found no one here who is so horrible that I would feel driven away. Maybe my ex-wife who once said "Frick you and that fricking bicycle!". Should I raise my standards and lower my tolerance?

Unless..................I'm one of the half-dozen. I'd regret that. I tried to PM FarHorizon but I found his page closed-- at least to me. Does that mean I'm a Half Dozen?
There are two posters who used to bug me, but the Ignore feature took care of that (except when someone quotes them!). I beleve this whole thing with Far had to do with how some people reacted to his comments in the thread about Floyd.

Of course, I could be wrong. Whatever.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-09-06, 04:55 AM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
There are two posters who used to bug me, but the Ignore feature took care of that (except when someone quotes them!). I beleve this whole thing with Far had to do with how some people reacted to his comments in the thread about Floyd.

Of course, I could be wrong. Whatever.
C'mon, it's cyberspace.
I tried the "ignore" button once, then realized that all opinions count in this country. If you really want free speech you have to defend the right of someone to say something that you would spend your whole life fighting against. If you can't do that, you can't claim to support freedom of speech, and if they don't want the right of free speech in this country....... well I don't know what they would want.
*Grampy™ steps off his soapbox*

Edit: DG, this post was not directed at you by any stretch of the imagination..... but your post got me thinking.
Old 10-09-06, 06:20 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to participate in forums you need a thick skin as you will always find someone who disagrees with you. I find the 50+ forum nice because you don't get flamed for your opinion so I am surprised by both blackberry's and farhorizons departures. I enjoyed both their posts and did not really read anything that I thought would cause them to leave. Obviously their reading of the same posts gave them a different impression.

2013 Noah RS
Old 10-09-06, 06:31 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
With 60,000+ folks shooting words at each other, there are bound to be misunderstandings and hard feelings. This is totally unavoidable and to be expected.

Sometimes I find myself having to look at a post that I felt insulted me - and then writing a negative reply - and deleting that reply and trying to figure out what caused that person to write the post that way.

There are two posters (that I interact with) who use the forum to meet some deep and disturbing psychological need or deficit deep inside of them. One vigorously attacked me personally one time, and I did report that poster to the "mood"erators, and that poster was banned for a period of time.

But, it comes with the territory, and, the 50+ forum, along with most of BFN, is FAR GENTLER then most internet discussions. ALso the same for Bikejournal.com. Very gentle and caring.

If you ever post on USENET, that is when you will need your full flack suit! Be prepared with your thick skin, etc., because USENET is a refuge for a strange group of folks.

I have made the following post on the referenced thread:

=================================================================================

Far, far away from the Road Cycling forum's OCP crowd and from the 50+ forum's politically correct bigots!

The 50+ forum is not very tolerant of opinions that they disagree with. About a half-dozen of the 50+ posters seem overeager to apply labels. I've decided to return the favor.

+1

I'm 61 and stay away from the 50+ forum. Scary place.

And from the "Intro" forum, posts by RonH

2. Stay away for the 50+ sub forum. Just "old" people there.

WARNING!!! Stay away from the 50+ forum. Lots of "old people" there.
I would invite any and all to visit the 50+ forum to determine on their own just how "not tolerant" and "scary" the 50+ forum is.

I don't believe that forum bashing is an appropriate BFN activity, especially for a moderator.
=================================================================================

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-09-06 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-09-06, 07:07 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, yes, this IS a scary place. I mean, look at this whole pie thing...sounds like a cult to me. And the Diego clan -- 'nuff said! And some of those faces on the Rogue's Gallery...brrrr! Especially that guy in the chartreuse jersey with the callouts on his picture.
Old 10-09-06, 07:34 AM
Desert tortise

Bikes: Ibex Corrida LT 4.4 (2003), 2006 Bianchi Vigorelli (Red)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grampy™
C'mon, it's cyberspace.
I tried the "ignore" button once, then realized that all opinions count in this country. If you really want free speech you have to defend the right of someone to say something that you would spend your whole life fighting against. If you can't do that, you can't claim to support freedom of speech, and if they don't want the right of free speech in this country....... well I don't know what they would want.
While I support everyone's right to say what they want, I also have the right to put my fingers in my ears and say "la la la la la". Kind of the same thing as the ignore function.
Old 10-09-06, 07:42 AM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

i especially liked the comment aimed at 50+ that states:

The endless anal retentive chat about posters' speed and distance logs/accomplishments and the equipment needed to "improve," rivals that found in any OCP thread.

sounds like the ss/fixie, advocacy, car-free, or road forums, but NOT 50+, which i find to be:

1. accommodating
2. encouraging
3. empathetic
4. open-minded
5. mature (gee, who woulda thunk dat?)
6. and most important: a spirit with a SENSE OF HUMOR!

:-)
Old 10-09-06, 07:56 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
There is a post at the end of this thread that appears this morning 10/9:

"I have visited the 50+ forum and agree with the previous posters, Far Horizon and Ron H. In fact I think that forum is for the express purpose of providing a half dozen chatty Koffee Klatch posters (and their support group) an outlet for their oh-so-clever witticisms. They'd be better served to get an Instant Messenger account and chat away all day.

The endless anal retentive chat about posters' speed and distance logs/accomplishments and the equipment needed to "improve," rivals that found in any OCP thread."

As I read this, I thought: OK, so what? Isn't this what discussion forums are for?

In my experience, all discussion fourms have a clique overtone to them, usually with a handful of people who seem to set the overall tone of the fourm. It would be delusional not to recognize that DnvrFox, Digital Gee, jppe, GrannyGear, dauphin, stapfam, Cheeseflavor, Big Paulie, CrossChain, and a few others set the tone for this fourm. But I guess I do the same thing with discussion fourms as I do with television and radio.... I watch and listen to what I want.

If you don't like a fourm it seems you have several choices, stay away from it; try to change it from within; try to damage it. Personally, I think there's enough serious $hit taking place around the world, that I don't have the energy or inclination to attempt to damage another fourm just because I don't like it. When something takes place on this forum that I don't like, I either ignore it or attempt to impact on it in as productive a manner as possible. I do this knowing that others will not extend the same consideration, and also knowing that at times my very attempt to address issues in a considerate manner will annoy or anger some people. However, I try to be mature enough to know that I'm not everyone's cup of tea, and never will be universally liked. That doesn't mean that I need to leap from my tea cup and scald others. (OK, so not the best metaphor, but hopefully adequate to express my point.)
Old 10-09-06, 08:05 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by bcoppola
Well, yes, this IS a scary place. I mean, look at this whole pie thing...sounds like a cult to me. And the Diego clan -- 'nuff said! And some of those faces on the Rogue's Gallery...brrrr! Especially that guy in the chartreuse jersey with the callouts on his picture.
Some find that endless and thread dominating chit chat "stuff" cute. Some don't; 'nuff said, indeed.
Old 10-09-06, 08:07 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Some find that endless and thread dominating chit chat "stuff" cute. Some don't; 'nuff said, indeed.
If you don't, then just unsubscribe from the forum. Why spend your time knocking it? There are dozens of other forums you might like! Enjoy them, and make your day happy.
Old 10-09-06, 08:15 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by NOS88
There is a post at the end of this thread that appears this morning 10/9:

"I have visited the 50+ forum and agree with the previous posters, Far Horizon and Ron H. In fact I think that forum is for the express purpose of providing a half dozen chatty Koffee Klatch posters (and their support group) an outlet for their oh-so-clever witticisms. They'd be better served to get an Instant Messenger account and chat away all day.

The endless anal retentive chat about posters' speed and distance logs/accomplishments and the equipment needed to "improve," rivals that found in any OCP thread."

As I read this, I thought: OK, so what? Isn't this what discussion forums are for?

In my experience, all discussion fourms have a clique overtone to them, usually with a handful of people who seem to set the overall tone of the fourm. It would be delusional not to recognize that DnvrFox, Digital Gee, jppe, GrannyGear, dauphin, stapfam, Cheeseflavor, Big Paulie, CrossChain, and a few others set the tone for this fourm. But I guess I do the same thing with discussion fourms as I do with television and radio.... I watch and listen to what I want.

If you don't like a fourm it seems you have several choices, stay away from it...
And that is exactly what the posters on the commuter list have done; and pointed out the tone of this forum (as you also have described it) to others so as to not waste their time looking for any discussion about bicycle commuting. It is much more about the cutesy chatter of the tone setters and the monthly mileage logs of the AR's.
Old 10-09-06, 08:25 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
If you don't, then just unsubscribe from the forum. Why spend your time knocking it? There are dozens of other forums you might like! Enjoy them, and make your day happy.
I don't read it, normally. You forget, you posted in the commuter forum asking for people to check this forum out. I, as well as others have already done that and posted our opinions. Sorry you don't like 'em. Next time don't ask if you are going to get all bent out of shape by the response.

Hey, keep the current cutesy/folksy tone of the OCP and mileage junkies. Shower praise on yourself. Enjoy yourself! Doesn't bother me.
Old 10-09-06, 08:28 AM
Banned.

Hey, keep the current cutesy/folksy tone of the OCP and mileage junkies. Shower praise on yourself. Enjoy yourself! Doesn't bother me.
Hey, that is encouraging. For a minute there, I thought you were bothered a bit.

"Enjoy yourself" is my motto!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-09-06 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-09-06, 08:32 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why there is a Bike Forum for some people:
I bike to exercise. I started to do that past 50 years of age. My available time is limited because I work and travel well over 60++ hours/week. I also have a family.
Biking enjoyably requires certain skills. This BF provides a time efficient way to learn enough about biking and avoid the biggest mistakes. My computer is with me at all times. Therefore I find it easy to keep in touch. More easy than attending meetings with a Bike club for instance.
I find this 50+ BF sociable and useful. I have learned critical health issue as well as bike tips.
This BF also provides a sense of fellowship.
Unfortunately (or fortunately?), not everyone sees things the same.
Old 10-09-06, 08:32 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
And that is exactly what the posters on the commuter list have done; and pointed out the tone of this forum (as you also have described it) to others so as to not waste their time looking for any discussion about bicycle commuting. It is much more about the cutesy chatter of the tone setters and the monthly mileage logs of the AR's.

Yes, that is what they have done.... AND, made the value judgement that we should get an Instant Message account as a better way to do this... and indicated that we have endless anal retentive behavior (which is less a description of the tone and more a statement of this person's evaluative dislike of the forum's tone). No, sir. This individual didn't just decide to stay away from this forum. It seems there was a need or desire to take a shot at it as well... which I'm OK with. Take the shot, but be willing to own that this is what has happened. There is a reason that the 50+ fourm is where 98% of my time is spent on BFs. It may be that I like what is referenced as chatter. Yet, I have no desire to trash other discussions on the BF fourm.

I'm reminded of a similar mind set the exists in portions of the guitar playing population.... Gibsons are better than Fenders. OK, have your preferences, but it never ends there. Someone always seems to feel compelled to trash whatever is not their first liking.
Old 10-09-06, 08:37 AM
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Hey, that is encouraging. For a minute there, i thought you were bothered a bit.

"Enjoy yourself" is my motto!
Speaking of Net fun and ettiquette. I might have to check here occasionally to see how the OP and other cross posters respond with snappy comebacks to questions and comments posted on another discussion list.
Old 10-09-06, 10:13 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 10-09-06, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Good Grief,

To each his own. If you do not like a forums flavor, don't frequent that one. People act like 'net police sometime .. Its not nice, polite or whatever. let it go. peopke in the "real" world are not always pleasent, nice, polite, helpful or truthful. Thats the way the world is. No different here (nor in any other forum I dare to say)
Old 10-09-06, 11:04 AM
Mmmm, Blue Salsa....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kinda follow the philosophy of MellowDave's sig:

"All posts are crafted by an adult, for adults. Not responsible for hurt feelings, snot bubbles or tears. If something someone says to you on an internet forum affects your happiness, you have issues. Get in touch with your true self."

B'Dog

P.S. to Chipcom - Are not ....
1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.