Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take it back!!!!!

A "Massive" cold front is storming into the upper Mid-west out of Canada.... Take it back!!!!!!!!
    Carpe who?

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No - send it down here
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wake up, America! The perfidious Canuck has one of the most terrible WMDs in the form of the dreaded Canadian Cold Front! And let's not forget the "Alberta Clipper". And now, there appears the leading edge of the spear of eventual Canadian domination of our economy once their climate manipulation has frozen out our native born businesses -- Tim Horton's donut shops have been sprouting up in Michigan and other northern states!!

Before you know it, we'll all be saying "eh" and swilling Molson's and clogging our arteries with poutine and surplus Canadian bacon and rooting for goons on skates at compulsory hockey games on frozen ponds and lakes (Global Warming, you say? Ha! Merely another devious Canadian disinformation plot to hide the horrible, truly "inconvenient" truth) beneath the heel of the RCMP, a.k.a. the "Gestapo in Galoshes".

And the only bikes will be Norcos! With "al-you-min-ee-um" frames.

You have been warned.
    Last edited by bcoppola; 10-11-06 at 08:12 AM.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

RockHammer
    I'll have a Molson, eh.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eh.
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Trek 1000, Trek Pilot 5.2 and Trek 7100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has arrived. The temp has drop 15 degrees since I rode this morning and we are having 22 mph wind gusts now. Don't send us anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had an inch of snow on the ground this morning. It was 30 degrees when I left on my ride with a stiff wind out of the north, windchill in the teens. It had warmed to 34 on my return, still windy though. Rode my '83 which has bigger tires and fenders in case of wet conditions. Rode about 18 miles and after the first few miles was actually quite comfortable.
    Treks, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I'd be happy if all you Yanks did was 1) switch to the far more logical metric system, and 2) start making your money in different colors. That green money is the easiest currency in the world to counterfeit, and the only thang keeping it green is 300 million ornery cantankerous stickinthemuds who think anythang other than green bills is monopoly money (and who would vote out of office any politician who tried to mess with 1) the Imperial system of measurements and 2) green money. Oh, and while you're at it, you wouldn't believe how much more convenient it is to have $1 and $2 coins (like the wildly successful Canadian Looney and Twoney). They work way better in coin-operated machines than those highly unreliable bill readers.

(But I would also be happy if these crazy Canucks would kindly stop ending words that end in -or with -our. What a waste of letters... but then I grew up in California, so I've got a pretty good idea of each country's shortcomings.)

Oh, and BTW, Canadian beer (the production stuff, like Molson's, Labatt's, Kokanee, Alexander Keith's) is highly overrated. Molson's Canadian tastes just as watered-down as Bud. Get a microbrew if you want to taste beer the way it was meant to taste (rather than something to get high school kids drunk). I recommend anything brewed in Oregon.

- L.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, lbernhardt, all tongue-in-cheek anti-Canadian conspiracy theories aside, I'm totally with you on the metric system and money. Ontario being a short bridge or tunnel trip away we often visit and those looniess and twoonies are indeed handy and much more sensible. We have been adding very subtle color (or "colour") to our bills of late as an anti-counterfeit measure.

I'm not really a beer drinker (I like hard cider as in the UK) but once at a small jazz bar on Queen St. in Toronto I had an apple beer -- not cider -- from a Quebec brewery (can't remember the name) that was very nice.

Anyway, back on topic: just looked out the window and oh crap, snow was falling! Saving grace is I like XC skiing -- just not so soon! Forecast is for mixed rain/snow showers and wind for the next couple of days. Any riding will be on the trainer.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a cold front is coming

Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    A "Massive" cold front is storming into the upper Mid-west out of Canada.... Take it back!!!!!!!!

We're starting to experience winter here, too: there is a cold front expected tomorrow and the morning temps will drop to 48 degrees!

heh heh heh - guess I'll have to wear long sleeves on tomorrow's ride...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I look at it, it is too late in the season for going to the beach anymore, so bring it on! I'm looking forward to the start of winter cycling season, and even more to the start of ski season.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too late, bike is on the trainer. Maybe get it back outside after the weekend. But the milder weather next week seems to be mixed with rain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a77impala
    We had an inch of snow on the ground this morning. It was 30 degrees when I left on my ride with a stiff wind out of the north, windchill in the teens. It had warmed to 34 on my return, still windy though. Rode my '83 which has bigger tires and fenders in case of wet conditions. Rode about 18 miles and after the first few miles was actually quite comfortable.
    What is this "snow" you speak of?

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Zebrano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We like those down here .

wheezer geezer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We Canucks think it is much better to give than receive.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The birds around here are headed south or
    already gone. With every passing year, I'm
    more inclined to follow them.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MMMM its supposed to start raining here by Sunday probably won't see the sun till sometime in April

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just think, it would be even worse if we weren't having global warming at the same time

Just do it!
    My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized TriCross, Scott Sub10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Butt ugly for some in western New York.

20 inches of wet heavy snow for us. with the trees still with foilage many limbs and trees toppled. 250,000 people without power. I was fortunate that mine was only for 2 hours and I have a backup generator. As i write this I am in a Panera Bread with where it is very busy since many in my area are without power and are looking for preapred food to eat. Much of Erie county has to boil their water and some are without water pressure. As the snow melts form warmth and rain there is some flooding near the creeks and flat lands. Many will be without power till Tuesday. I consider myself blessed.

Tom......