Thread: ITB question

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITB question

So last year I had some issues with ITB (Ilio-Tubial band Syndrome). For those who are unfamiliar with it, this is a common condition/issue with runners and cyclists where the ilio-tubial band, the "container" that holds together the muscles, ligaments, etc. between your knee and hip on the outside gets too tight (or otherwise becomes irritated). The usual result is that it pushes your muscle against the bone on the outside of your knee such that it gets inflamed - the symptom is usually that you get a pain at one spot when flexing your knee where the "rub" is the worst.

Anyway, last year, after reading up on this, I worked on stretching, and also got a foam roller to work on keeping the fascia looser. It worked great on the left side where I had problems. This year though, I have developed something similar on the right. My question is: if the pain is similar, but the actual location is closer to the knee (it's still "lateral" - not in the knee joint), is it still ITB? This is much milder than last year (only bothers me after 10-20 miles), but seems more persistent.

Stop me if I'm being a hypochondriac...

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the things people often forget about their bodies is that balance is required between the muscle groups. It may be that concentrating on getting the left side with your stretching has created an imbalance on the right side. Remember that the ITB is connected to the pelvis.

I also would check several other things: Are your shoes looser in fit than 12 months ago? Is your right ankle tending to drop outward as you pedal? Are you mashing rather than spinning the pedals? Have you upped your distance-per-ride by a substantial amount recently? And have you been carrying heavier loads than normal? One or all of these things can aggravate ITBs.

FWIW, I have had extended trouble with my right ITB through just about all those factors. Now it's OK, but the left one wants to join the party.
    Dream. Dare. Do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my practice, I see quite a few similar situations and some are caused by the ITB or Iliotibial Band, but another likely diagnosis is Sacro-iliac joint misalignment/dysfunction- especially when both of the previous posts indicate that the symptoms seem to have shifted, or feel as if they are shifting, from one side to the other.

When you are standing erect in your bare feet, are the right and left pelvic crests (the bone that protrudes on both sides that holds your pants up) even, or is one higher than the other? Any early morning low back pain (even very slight, or just some stiffness) upon rising? If you lie on your back and raise one straight leg, then the other, do they both go up an equal amount, or can you raise one more than the other?

A Chiropractor can really help with ITB or SI joint problems.

Just trying to help.
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrasser
    When you are standing erect in your bare feet, are the right and left pelvic crests (the bone that protrudes on both sides that holds your pants up) even, or is one higher than the other? John
    One of my thoughts was that I have a leg length discrepancy, although I met a while ago with a sports rehab guy (for biomechanical assessment) and he said that I didn't.

Never gone to a chiropractor before, but it's a thought...

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn something new everyday . . . this is something I've dealt with over the years, just never knew it had a name!

Several years ago my doctor suggested a neoprene wrap to keep the knee stabilized and warm, stretching, and exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee -- which have all helped.
    Chiropractic treatments also seem to help, although I see my chiropractor mostly to keep the back and neck limber.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been plagued with IT band problems this summer. I have noticed the tightness close to my knees for a long time, but my right hip is where the most pain is located. I have found that lower gears and higher cadence helps while cycling.

Anyway, I have found several excercise and stretches that work well. The middle of this page has links for three stretches:

http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/...Bstretches.htm

Google IT Band stretches and you will find many links. I prefer the ones my therapist suggested, but have not seen them online.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradopenguin
    ....Chiropractic treatments also seem to help, although I see my chiropractor mostly to keep the back and neck limber.
    A D.C. that has a sports injury certification would have better answers for an apparent ITB problem. After all, a medical doctor in general practice isn't an orthopedic surgeon- although both are M.D.'s

We have our specialties also.

BTW, somewhere here I should insert some disclaimer about not using any part of my post to serve as a diagnosis or treatment, but just as advice that recommends that you seek professional health care.
    Road- Cannondale R1000/Ksyrium
    Cannondale R3000 tandem
    Mtn- Ventana CdeM F.S tandem (thanks, Alex)
    OLD Cannondale F1000
    Most of all- my daughter- Jen, Cat 3 (now has her Cat 2 points)

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrasser
    A Chiropractor can really help with ITB or SI joint problems.
    So can a good myofascial massage therapist & a sports-oriented physical therapist...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.