Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling Goals for the WInter and Next Season

Well, at least for those of us in the Northern Tiers of the US, looks like cycling season is winding down. So in order to keep my sanity, I am looking forward to the winter and next season. My cycling goals for the coming seasons are:

Spend 1 to 1 1/2 hours 5 days per week on my indoor trainer thought he winter. Incorporate way more cadence and intervals than I did last winter.

Keep up my cycling log for the entire year, (since I usually kind of run out of interest in recording cycling activities about May.)

Complete a Brevet series (200, 300, 400, and 600 K.) It looks like there will be one in Idaho again, which is within decent riding distance. I have no idea of how I am going to get trained for that as the first of the series is mid-May

Be consistent in riding with no long down times. Up my speed in our club century from 8 hours to 6.5 hours.

That's my goals - whats yours?
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    That's my goals - whats yours?
    To keep on keeping on

As a year round bike commuter (50+km daily) in Toronto, my season never ends, both in town and at the cottage

My winterbike is ready (a dept store beater), clothes, gloves, and boots are out of storage, and I'm just waiting for the snow.

I missed only 6 days in 2005 (ice storm)...still at 100% for 2006...we set up our office for those that ride in...washer, dryer, shower, heat lamp in our change room, and lockers for extra clothes

We even put a 6 bike bike rack behind our office

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jm,

I envy your bike commutes, I live only 1 mile from work but need to have a car here. I keep thinking of just leaving my car here so can bike or walk to work. Congratulations on an outstanding record of bike commuting
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride to work throughout the year and most of the winter. I will skip minus zero days or snow days if there is also a strong wind. I have one of those "have to be there" jobs so I will drive durring storms. Otherwise I prefer to ride.

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks...I also get to meet the nicest people (well, most of them are nice, a few maybe not so nice) on my commute. Today I came in during a thunderstorm...most people had a kind word or comment when I stopped at a red light or because of traffic.

In winter storms you get those funny smiles that people reserve for the totally insane

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=150091

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To ride as often as the weather and my schedule allows.
    To spend time on the trainer when I can't ride.
    To stop keeping track of how far and how long I ride.
    To have fun and stay in shape.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I resolve to continue to be endure riding without snow, sleet or nasty weather - it is a hard job, but someone has to do it...

But I do deal with barro (mud)

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't quite finished assessing my current season's goals:

mileage is at 2620 which is way ahead of last year, but short of 3500 I was aiming for (unless we have a heck of an Indian Summer...)

ride 4+ days/week - did pretty good on this one

4 centuries. Did 3, started another one which I cut to 50 due to wife, and another which I cut to a metric because it was constant rain (4 hours was enough). Regret that I didn't do Mt Washington century (also pouring rain).

Built up frame from scratch (happy with results).

Next season's goals:

lose 10-15 pounds
    mileage? maybe 4K
    centuries: 6
    Try racing!
    Build up a fixie
    Try some serious hill climbs

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    To ride as often as the weather and my schedule allows.
    To spend time on the trainer when I can't ride.
    To stop keeping track of how far and how long I ride.
    To have fun and stay in shape.
    +1!

I also do weight training at the gym in the off-season. Not that you'd know to look at me.

I'm putting my new fixie conversion on the trainer for the winter. Just bought a cheapo rear tire @ the hardware store to wear out on the trainer.

I also want to do my first century next season.

Yo, JazzyCyclist: If you haven't already, check out my "The Fix Is In" thread for my fixie conversion. Then do it! Everything you need to know can be found on Sheldon Brown's site.
    Last edited by bcoppola; 10-11-06 at 11:49 AM.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finish another 690 miles by Dec 31 to get to my goal of 5,000 for the year and then start over, shooting for 5,500-6,000 miles next year.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will most likely NOT meet my 2006 goal of 3,000 miles, given that I'm still creeping up on 2,000 and time keeps on ticking, ticking, ticking. But I would at least like to finish with 2,500 miles, and even if I just maintain that year after year, I'll be okay with that. When I get too ambitious with my goals, I get too antsy and start enjoying it less.

My other goal is to start contributing more to the 50+ forum. I am far too silent, don't you think?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goals:

Have fun!
    Do half of my grocery shopping with bike and trailer.
    Start doing recreational rides with my family on weekends.

Paul

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year was a great cycling year -- met or exceeded nearly every goal by 20 percent (I'll top my 1,000 mile goal by at least 400 miles before the end of this month!

One reason for this success was the foundation of last winter's workout routine, so this winter my goal is to equal or better that workout -- 45 minutes of laps at the swimming pool and 30 minutes of core exercises in the pool 3 times a week, plus nightly walks with my dogs for a mile or two. The swimming was actually to get ready for a scuba trip (planning for another this January), but it really toned my leg muscles so I hit the roads strong in the spring. In addition, I worked in weekend snowshoe outings and longer walks with the dogs.

All this talk about winter riding has me planning to try it this year -- in the past, the bike stayed in the garage after Halloween and I shifted to playing in the snow. Sounds like the same clothing/gear I use for snowshoeing works for biking!
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling goal for this winter.... 200 miles a month. I know, not a lot.... but remember it gets darn cold around here in January and Feb.
    As for next year.... I'm seriously thinking about taking my computers off.... I always ride about 3-4,000 miles and I've got a garmin to satisfy any other curiosity....
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute daily and will continue to do so, rain, shine, or snow - plan to keep on riding my good road bike (well, ok, it's a road-centric cyclocross) - will just maintain it as appropriate.

One new wrinkle this winter is my new clipless pedal setup. I am still fussing over how to keep my feet dry. Bought those "water-proof" booties, but the moisture wicks up them and wets my pants legs under my rain suit. Those things are ok for a gentle rain when you don't have to travel too far, but my platform setup that allowed me to wear waterproof shoes that extended up under the pants legs of my rain suit provided me with a truly waterproof setup in years past.

I am surprised that someone doesn't make a cheap waterproof hiking shoe that would accept cleats. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Anyhow, I have 4,800 miles on my "new" bike that was a gift from my kids back on Father's Day of '05. I don't keep logs, but that's 2,400 miles and counting. I will probably add another 1,100 miles between now and the end of the year. I'll be happy with that.

I will ride in fresh snow on my bike, but, when it becomes icy, I have to resort to the automobile.

Caruso

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm01
    To keep on keeping on

As a year round bike commuter (50+km daily) in Toronto, my season never ends, both in town and at the cottage

My winterbike is ready (a dept store beater), clothes, gloves, and boots are out of storage, and I'm just waiting for the snow.

I missed only 6 days in 2005 (ice storm)...still at 100% for 2006...we set up our office for those that ride in...washer, dryer, shower, heat lamp in our change room, and lockers for extra clothes

We even put a 6 bike bike rack behind our office
    Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    jm,

I envy your bike commutes, I live only 1 mile from work but need to have a car here. I keep thinking of just leaving my car here so can bike or walk to work. Congratulations on an outstanding record of bike commuting
    You must need the car for work stuff. If your a biking lover as most here, your situation must be driving you nuts.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ongoin - ride my ass off!

kick some young ass in the weekly hammerfests!

drop more young ass on the 'hill of ultimate pain'!

kick some old ass in next yr's crits

ride some track again

mellow out

ride some tours up to SFO and the Lost Coast

do more of the 'long way round' commute rather than my usual late start and sweaty hammerfest to work

stop grinning on the hills

thatzaboutit

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezen
    ...kick some young ass...

drop more young ass...
    Good thing you're not a politician. This kind of talk could get you into BIG trouble!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My winter goals include: 1. to commute to work as much as possible. 2. To do some serious weight training so I can start the spring kicking butt.

Gas, the price of a can of beans

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Chicago marathon in one week...then the Disney half Marathon in January. My goal for next year is move up to an Ironman Triathlon in August, a 50k run, and maybe a brevet series...thne the usual duathlons, triathlons, RAIN ride, etc...play, play, play!!! Frankp

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm too new to have realistic goals. But, at 57, I'm going strong!

My goal for October is 300 miles and I think I'll make it. I really didn't start riding for real until August and didn't get a real road bike until late August. September mileage was 255, and I'm hoping to break 300 this month and the next two months, so the total for the year will be around 1250-1300 for 5 months of total riding.

Next year: I plan to ride the MS 150 in South Florida in April and BRAG in June. I think a reasonable annual mileage goal ought to be around 3500 to 4000.

But, I do other things I don't want to give up. A bunch of us old guys play basketball on Fridays and I try to get to the gym a couple of days a week at lunch. That pretty much limits the rides to 3 or maybe 4 days a week.

All in all, anyone who is over 50 and putting in decent mileage is doing great. How some of you guys find the time to do 5,000 or more miles a year is pretty amazing to me.

John

My Bikes
    2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started back in late Feb. with the goal of losing 50 pounds - done, and doing at least 1 half-century - done 3 metrics.

Didn't have a specific total mileage goal when I started, but the odometer shows 3175 miles. With a little help from the weather, I might make 3500 by year end.

I plan to hit the weight room some during the off-season. The fitness center in my building is closed for remodeling, but they're supposed to be open sometime next week.

I'd like to get under 200 pounds by year end. Only have about 6 to go, but Thanksgiving and Christmas are in the way.

Next year I'd like to lose another 40-50 lbs (from my current weight) and get back down to my high school/college days weight of around 155-165.

I also want to do more than one century, and break 5.5 hrs. That will be tough, but if I can lose the weight, I won't suck so bad on the hills. I'll need to pick up another 1-2 mph sustained average speed, but if I make my weight goals, I'll get a good bit of that on the hills.

Total mileage goal for next year, around 4000-4500.
    Starve a terrorist - ride a bike to work. It's not just good for the environment, it's good for civilization.

My new blog is No Pinch Flats.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually set up event goals once I know what's on the annual calendar. I'll see what's on the Cascade Bicycle Club web page (they've got the most extensive non-racing calendar in the Pac NW), and I'll check out what's happening at the Seattle Bike Expo in February.

One thang I have started to do more seriously is to track how long parts and consumables are lasting. I've now got a system for noting which wheel I'm using on which bike and type of tire on that wheel, so I'll be able to get a handle on exactly how long wheels and tires are lasting. A lot of bookkeeping, but I've got the files set up on my PDA, on which I track my daily mileages, and I'm an accountant. (I used to be an IT manager, but the world is too full of IT managers and - judging by all the corporate shenanigans - not enough honest accountants.)

Here's some data I've collected already on how long tires have lasted on my tandem (43 lb tandem with 320 lb crew):
    • WTB Camino 700x23 front, inflated to 120 lb, bulge from overinflation: 2,390 km
    • Nashbar Prima 2 Plus 200x23 rear, worn thru: 2,349 km
    • WTB Camino 700x23 rear, worn thru: 3,257 km

I'm just assembling some info on how long various brake pads have lasted on my fixed gear rain bike, but wear rates differ significantly depending on time of year and weather conditions, so I've had to add installation and replacement dates. This is turning into a significat project!

- L.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My goal: To commute every day to work for a year - it's only 4 miles each way and relatively flat. Have my commuter bike set up so there are now no excuses. Since starting 2 weeks ago my weekly mileage has almost doubled. Doing a quick calculation, the 40 miles / week commuting starts as the foundation then a couple of 10-20 mile rides on weekend and I could actually set a goal for next year of 2,500 miles.

My wife is quite jealous that I'm cycle-commuting and she can't due to distance and other responsibilities. I've actually had to quit telling her my mileages or talk much about the commutes at all.

So my goals for this winter will be to commute steadily and for 07 will be 2,500 miles and a good cycling vacation with my favorite wife in the summer.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Road - Titus Solera, winter - Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, MTB Gary Fisher, Cruise - Bianchi Milano, vintage - Centurion Lemans RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the roads are dry I'm riding. My winter bike is a c'dale BBU bought last January 3rd. By April, I had 800 miles on it, switching from 700x28s to mountain bike wheels in dicier weather. I had two bad months late summer with an injury which forced me off my road bike, so I'm just getting back on board...great timing for Michigan. Anyway my goals are to spend more time on the bike outside than on the trainer, lose some pounds and ride two centuries with my 35 year old tri-athlete daughter. My other goal next summer is to teach my 4 year old to ride. jeez...I'm getting tired thinking about that part

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast