Thread: New Trainer

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Trainer

Good Morning-I got a CycleOps Trainer this last weekend. I have got it set up, but have a skewer, that I did not use, is that bad, do I need to figure out how to insert into my bike? I'd like to not have to use, so I could just quickly and easily take my bike off the trainer and it is ready to ride. I also got a training video, it shows everyone with some black thing on the floor under the front wheel, do I need one of those and what is it? And can I put my computer on the back wheel, so I can track distance and speed? Oh boy, anyway I am really looking forward to using it this winter!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most trainers come with a skewer that is made to fit. You are supposed to substitute it for the skewer on your rear wheel while using your bike on the trainer. It will save wear and tear on your "good" skewer.

The black thing is used to level the bike so you won't be riding downhill all the time. You can use almost anything, many people use a telephone book.

Most computer wires will not reach to the rear wheel without re-mounting the computer somewhere that's hard to see from the "cockpit". You can buy ready made wire harnesses for rear wheel mounting of some brand computers. Check with the manufacturer of your computer.
    Last edited by Louis; 10-12-06 at 11:44 AM.

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I put the skewer in, and find a phone book!

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a regular user of the CycleOps FL2 trainer and perhaps can offer some tips.
    My training is at least one hour/day and I break it up in two 30 minute sessions. At half time I make a 2 minute water stop. I started at 16.5 MPH and 90 RPM and kept track of my Heart Rate. At he 15 minute mark, I go off the saddle for 2 minutes at 18 MPH standing up in higher gear.
    A critical component is a strong fan blowing at me and open windows. I sweat a lot doing this. I use a towel to catch the sweat so it does not mess up the bike and floor.
    Now the good news: My top HR is down from 130 to below 115 doing this. I have been able to increase speed to 17.5 MPH. This increase was directly related to my performance on bike trails.
    Another tip: Set the pressure of tire to friction wheel as low as you can without obvious slipping. I get very little tire wear that way and it is easier.
    BTW: That black thing under the front wheel is cheap and traps the wheel so it is a little more stable for serious sprinting.