My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Miracle Drink from Coca-Cola

Good news in the weight loss front.

I watched one of the morning news shows, and Coca-Cola is introducing a new drink designed to raise metabolism.

The cost is $1.29 per can, and they suggest you drink 3 cans per day. Each can is 5 calories. This is a total cost of $3.87 per day, and 15 extra calories.

The payback? If you drink three cans every day, your metabolism is raised, and you will naturally burn off "up to" 60 extra calories per day. Of course, what this really means (in marketing speak) is that for some subset of people their metaboism will increase by 60 calories, but most people will be somewhere below that number.

So since each day's drink has 15 calories, the caloric imbalance is a maximum of 60 - 15 or 45 calories saved per day. At a cost of $3.87 In contrast the high fiber bread I eat is 100 calories per slice, so the savings is slightly less than 1/2 slice of bread.

Over 30 days, this will cost over $115.00 and save you 1350 calories... there are about 3600 calories per pound of fat, so for $115 per month you can lose about 1/3 pound each and every month. So in 3 months you would lose 1 pound at a total cost of $345.00.

They interviewed people (who of course didn't run the numbers) and several acted like they would rush out and buy it. The ingredients of note... green tea and caffeine. Each drink has about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee.

So for $345 for 3 months you too can lose a pound without doing anything else, or you can just cut out 1/2 slice of bread per day and lose at about the same pace.

According to USA Today, a 120 pound person cycling at under 10 mph would burn 45 calories in less than 15 minutes, under 10 minutes for a 170 pounder... http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifesty...ed-chart_x.htm

So I can give up 1/2 slice of bread or go for a casual ride for 5-10 minutes or buy a magical drink...

I think I'm going to go buy the magical drink.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get a similar result by drinking ice cold water.
    Lynn Travers

Photos

ISO: Lejeune Champion du Monde Ultra Leger Reynolds 753, 53-55cm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "and they suggest you drink 3 cans per day."

of course they do. why not just suggest a dozen per day? gotta move as much product as possible, right?

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who falls for that marketing BS is an idiot.

My Bikes
    Surly Pugsley,Mongoose Hybrid, Nashbar road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snorting gold paint will help you loose weight and it's cheaper ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the other hand, where I live, I can burn off 60 plus calories chewing on dried cow sh*t. Plus it's free and plentiful for the taking. Otherwise, I'd just say horsesh*t.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctyler
    Anyone who falls for that marketing BS is an idiot.
    +1
    60 calories per day is so insignificant...maybe 1 M&M...peanut of course.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week an article in the WALL STREET JOURNAL gave more information and debunked the hype. First, the study to justify the conclusions was done on 18-34 year olds and not the general public. Second, the amount of calories saved was equal to 2 Oreo cookies. Finally, you can lose more calories by briskly walking for 20 minutes.

Keep your money.