I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bikes on the balcony?

I'd like to get my two cruisers out of the dining room because it's just too crowded. However, my only real choice is an upstairs balcony, which has a roof but is quite open to the elements. And yes, it does rain in Southern California -- in fact it rained last night.

These bikes are not used too often. I share rides with my 15 year old daughter, but she's starting to fade (however WON'T let me sell them). So they'll get used maybe once or twice a month and even that's debatable in cooler and wetter winter.

So, do I have any options in terms of keeping them outside? Is a simple plastic cover that's held down with rocks or bricks or something good enough, or will I be promoting rust regardless? The bikes aren't valuable -- I paid $60 each, but they are in very good condition presently and I'd like to keep them that way.

I don't mind a little extra work taking them off the balcony and returning them for each ride, given that they won't be used that often.

Suggestions?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I don't mind a little extra work taking them off the balcony and returning them for each ride, given that they won't be used that often.

Suggestions?
    Best thing to do with a cruiser is take it for a long ride off a short balcony.

Plastic sheeting will keep the rain off but makes a noise in the wind. There are bike covers available that will fit the bikes better but they will probably cost more than the bikes- Craigslist?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No storage room in complex where ceiling hooks can be used?

My issue for storing bikes is to get them off the ground cuz I just hate having the tires go flat from gravity working its way into the tire pressure. Finding a ceiling joist & just screwing the hooks in will require patching the spots upon departure but small price to pay for having the bikes out of the way.

Things stored under plastic tarps look tacky on balconies altho millions of people do it. Some places actually have rules against such. But that's my opinion, anyway, and my storage issues involve a garage and not a balcony. Good luck...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG....if you dare put a bike, a sacred object around here, on your balcony with a plastic tarp draped over it held down with bricks.......sanctions might occur. Expulsion perhaps. As an old cord wood stacker, I can assure you that wind and elements are often craftier than humans and their often futile attempts with plastic tarp.

Those cruisers are behemoths for sure.....are ceiling hooks in the bedroom possible ...maybe turn the bars parallel with the frame to save space? Possibly remove wheels and wrap (instead of drape) in plastic for balcony winter storage?
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    DG....if you dare put a bike, a sacred object around here, on your balcony with a plastic tarp draped over it held down with bricks.......sanctions might occur. Expulsion perhaps. As an old cord wood stacker, I can assure you that wind and elements are often craftier than humans and their often futile attempts with plastic tarp.

Those cruisers are behemoths for sure.....are ceiling hooks in the bedroom possible ...maybe turn the bars parallel with the frame to save space? Possibly remove wheels and wrap (instead of drape) in plastic for balcony winter storage?
    I appreciate the aesthetics and sacreligiousity about putting bikes on a balcony, but...there are few options here. Ceiling hooks don't get them out of the room, and I really, really don't want my love nest...I mean, my bedroom, cluttered with not one, but two big-a$$ bikes hanging from the ceiling. I'd be afraid, when I take them down, of knocking the lava lamps over, or poking the waterbed with a kickstand!

But I've found some bike covers at Performance's site that are on sale for $20 or so, so that's a possiblity. They cinch up tight and appear to keep wind/water out pretty well.

Another option, I suppose, is a winning lottery ticket. Then I can have a bike garage next to the car garage.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I've found some bike covers at Performance's site that are on sale for $20 or so, so that's a possiblity. They cinch up tight and appear to keep wind/water out pretty well.
    I don't know about San Diego but here in Missouri there is an additional problem with moisture condensing on the underside of a plastic cover. Your bikes will rust almost as badly as if they were left in the open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a lotto ticket...if I win I will buy you a 20.00 tarp....

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a garage for your car? Hooks in the ceiling joists over the hood of the car.
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really, really don't want my love nest...I mean, my bedroom, cluttered with not one, but two big-a$$ bikes hanging from the ceiling. .
    DG, you're missing the point.........admitedly, most of us single 50Plus swingers have mirrors on our bedroom ceiling over the bed. So think how novel it would be to look up and see two bikes hanging above, side by side (kind of romantic, too).

Biker chicks would definitely come unglued. Sort of make up for those lava lamps.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    I don't know about San Diego but here in Missouri there is an additional problem with moisture condensing on the underside of a plastic cover. Your bikes will rust almost as badly as if they were left in the open.
    I think that would be a real problem in foggy San Diego. MOst of those car covers you see cause more rust than they prevent.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    Do you have a garage for your car? Hooks in the ceiling joists over the hood of the car.
    No garage...Just a public assigned space in a carport. I rent.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use those cheap blue tarps.... adds a little class to the neighbothood.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no no no!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait
    Use those cheap blue tarps.... adds a little class to the neighbothood.
    Our beloved DeeGee would never lower the standards of the neighborhood with a cheap blue tarp!

Maybe use the camouflage cheap tarp instead?....
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Retro Grouch says is absolutely correct. Use a regular plastic tarp and moisture will become trapped and promote rust. They do have what they call breathable plastic that will allow the moisture to dissipate, you'll have to look around for it. I'm a little surprised by your problem. I've always heard that everything in San Diego is perfect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG, you're missing the point.........admitedly, most of us single 50Plus swingers have mirrors on our bedroom ceiling over the bed. So think how novel it would be to look up and see two bikes hanging above, side by side (kind of romantic, too).

Biker chicks would definitely come unglued. Sort of make up for those lava lamps.
    It would be best to have a ladies bike and a mens bike hanging next to each other - sort of touching each other, if you know what I mean. It would help to set the mood.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    It would be best to have a ladies bike and a mens bike hanging next to each other - sort of touching each other, if you know what I mean. It would help to set the mood.
    Uh - we are talking about California.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doncha think it would be safer, given the CA ambiance, to have 2 sloping top tubes side by side, sorta unisex....that way one can be construed as "correct" in any context.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just don't make disparaging remarks about bottom brackets...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    just don't make disparaging remarks about bottom brackets...
    Especially those "wider" bottom brackets that stretch your "Q" factor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doncha think it would be safer, given the CA ambiance, to have 2 sloping top tubes side by side, sorta unisex....that way one can be construed as "correct" in any context.
    Are you suggesting that DG has a "sloping top tube?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Are you suggesting that DG has a "sloping top tube?"
    Certainly not. I'm sure his tube is double butted, hi tensile, and well lugged.

[Poor guy, all he wanted to know was how best to store his cruisers. We owe him one, so ]

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geesh! You ask a simple question, and everyone gives me the business!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are no simple questions

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geesh! You ask a simple question, and everyone gives me the business!
    Yeah. We're all afraid that if we treat you too nicely you'll think that we don't like you. Get used to it.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try this........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Carpe who?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast