It looks like it is going to work!
The STI control for the front derailleur is not functioning totally. But, after considerable adjustment, I can get it to shift between the large chain ring and the middle chain ring just fine (I don't use the small CR on my training regimen). I also got the STI lever to loosen up quite a bit, ala some chain lubricant. The rear derailleur works just fine.
I will need to keep my eyes open for a longer quill stem, but I bet my LBS has one sitting around. I am heading to the LBS today to get a tube for my 1.25" x 26" slick, and will check for the stem, also. I have figured out that I don't have to buy 2 tubes (duh), as the front tire is only to hold up the front of the bike, anyway, and the current mtn bike tire will do just fine.
It is currently set up on the trainer, and working just fine.
So, for $30 - plus a tube and a slick sitting around for the last 6 years (and using my current remote controlled adjustable resistance mag trainer), I have a decent year-round trainer, saving my "utility roadie" for more interesting activities.
This has been sort of fun!
Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-17-06 at 08:08 AM.