Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Wet Weather (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/237269-wet-weather.html)

Metric Man 10-15-06 08:51 AM

Wet Weather

As most folks know we don't get much rain here in sunny so cal but it does drizzle a lot in my area. What are the recommendations for wet riding? By way of example, I haven't seen a dry street in two days and we haven't gotten a tenth of an inch of rain. Do I just suck it up and go or what?

jcm 10-15-06 09:27 AM

Fenders are a common sight up here in the Pacific NW. In SoCal, people may think you are rather frumpy. Or, crazy, impoverished or unable to get a driver license because you are actually "outside when it's raining :eek: "

There are the clip-on variety. You can quickly alter you appearance when neccessary.:D

stapfam 10-15-06 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just get wet and dirty

Metric Man 10-15-06 09:40 AM

Hmmm, perhaps something in this catergory.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true##

Sandwarrior 10-15-06 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Metric Man
Do I just suck it up and go or what?

YEP, and revel in the muck and mire. Nothing like riding on a wet day. Makes the soak in the bathtub afterwards soooooooo much enjoyable.:lol: :roflmao:

Mojo Slim 10-15-06 10:46 AM

I like my clip on rear fender. Haven't really found a cheap way to keep my feet dry that doesn't look like I have wrapped plastic bags around my ankles, but that's really only a problem when it's cold, too. Which it is here during the winter.

Cyclepath 10-15-06 10:49 AM

I made & installed a leather mud flap for the front fender of my Puch - pretty much keeps the feet & crankset dry.

Digital Gee 10-15-06 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Metric Man
As most folks know we don't get much rain here in sunny so cal but it does drizzle a lot in my area. What are the recommendations for wet riding? By way of example, I haven't seen a dry street in two days and we haven't gotten a tenth of an inch of rain. Do I just suck it up and go or what?

That's what I'm about to do. Eh, it's only water!

lhbernhardt 10-15-06 04:29 PM

Well, I think the rainy season has started in British Columbia's Lower Mainland after months of dry weather. It started raining last night, and it's a good thang I rode over to my girlfriend's with all my rain stuff because I had to ride home today in the rain. So the rain setup here in Vancouver is:

Fixed gear bike with the quick-release detachable fenders (they clip on the stays with these rubber straps). Great for bikes with no fender clearance. And the fixed gear means there's no derailleurs, shifters, cassette, or shifter cables to get soaked and damaged by rain and dirt.

Soft cotton cycling cap underneath the helmet (remember cycling caps?). The best kind have a really small peak because when it's raining, you wear it with the peak forward to keep the rain off your eyes(the smaller the peak, the better the visibility). When it's just very cold, you wear it backwards, and it protects your head against the cold wind.

Neoprene gloves and booties. Neoprene won't keep you dry after about 40 minutes, but it does keep you warm.

Goretex rain jacket, the smaller and thinner, the better. No pockets, no special attachments for hiking, just a simple cycling rain jacket made of goretex, so that you can keep it wrapped up in your commuter backpack. (Keeping a spare rain jacket with you at all times is a good idea in Vancouver, BC.)

And that's it. I sometimes carry spare dry cycling socks and dry t-shirt. I find rain pants to be way too hot and uncomfortable. And those John Forester-style rain capes catch way too much wind.

The above works as long as you like riding fast in the rain, something you learn to appreciate in the Pac Northwest. Some of the best rides are in the rain, if only because there are fewer bikies getting in your way, and anyone out there in this weather has got to love cycling.

- L.

ollo_ollo 10-15-06 06:17 PM

Just in case you ever get a cold day when its wet, Wool sweaters are great for keeping off the chill, even when wet.

big john 10-15-06 06:31 PM

What do you wet weather riders use for chain lube?

Sci-Fi 10-15-06 07:25 PM

It depends on how much rain fell. If it's one of those "just wets the pavements" rain then the roads will be slick from the oil coming to the surface. It won't matter what tire compound or tread pattern you have on your tires or what brake pads you have installed in those conditions, you will slip and slide not to mention cars will do the same. If you are reasonably sure there was enough rain to wash the oil off the roads then go for it. The problem with So. Cal. is the drivers tend to drive in the rain like the roads are dry, so one has to be a bit more careful and plan as many "outs/escape routes" as possible or even ride on the sidewalks on more dangerous streets/routes.

I usually wear a skull cap under my helmet to keep the sweat out of my eyes and wick away moisture, but it also works well in the rain. A sweat band is a good alternative or wear one of those Pro-tec skating closed top helmets if it's a steady rain to keep dry.

I switch to clear anti-fog or amber lens safety glasses since there seems to be more debris kicked up by passing cars in the rain and safety glasses tend to stop most penetrating objects from damaging your eyes. It doesn't cost that much and are as stylish as more expensive models. Home improvement stores carry a wide range of styles and lens for safety glasses. Here's a link: http://www.safetyglassesinc.com/Safety-Glasses/