Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode My Age (Finally)

Rode 60 miles, my age + 3, on Saturday. This is 10 miles over my previous record! Everything was right: wind, temperature, humidity, tire pressure, planets were in alignment, and whatever else. There is an 800-foot increase in elevation from the beginning to the midpoint of this ride. I stopped at the midpoint to quench my thirst, munch on goodies, and enjoy the view from the top of the hill.

Three dogs didn't appreciate my presence in the corner of their yard at the top of the hill and came forth to admonish me regarding my encroachment. I took a chance and just sat down when the lead dog stopped about 5 yards away. He approached slowly and sniffed a little while his mate followed. I reached forth rather slowly and stroked the fur of the non-tooth-bearing mate and then even more carefully stroked the fur of the alpha male. Next thing I know, he's in my lap enjoying the attention!

At the begining of the summer the thought of riding my age never even crossed my mind. I'm glad that some of the 50+ bunch have posted on this topic as it provided an opportunity for a new personal achievment.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Riding your age and being accepted by the pack! You had quite a day. Good stuff.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Older than dirt...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great fun isn't it ... to ride your age. However, what do you ride and where was it ? Temperature? Also, no pie

Happy Birthday ... pictures next year?

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good going. What kind of bikes were the dogs riding?
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great day!!
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - good for you! i accompanied my riding buddy last month on his birthday ride... they're lots of fun and a good way to pass the time on a special day...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ride was in northwest Arkansas. Rode south from the Fayetteville area on U.S. Hwy 71 just into Crawford County to Mt. Gaylor. That's where the dogs live.

Temperature was high 60's, low 70's.

The bike is an old Specialized Hardrock, steel frame, 3 x 7, no suspension, Specialized Nimbus 26 x 1.50 tires (got rid of the old knobbies), Blackburn Mtn Rack, trunk bag, Inertia Designs triangle bag (frame pack), and a Mountain Morph... I tend to travel heavy.