User Tag List

My Bikes
    Litespeed Blueridge
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I losing my mind???

Yesterday morning, after I had been up for a couple of hours, I decided to go for a nice ride. I put on my jersey and shorts and took out my Sidi shoes and put one on. I took the other shoe and couldn't for the life of me remember how to work the buckle. I thought I was going to have to call my husband and have him tell me or come home and get the shoe I had just put on, off my foot. It only lasted about a minute before I figured out how to work the buckle, but it has really got me shook up. I am only 55--has any one else had experiences like this. This has happened to me before but not for at least about a year. Am I going to forget everything??

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another senior moment: just keep riding and it will all come back to you...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was I going to write?
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference between having the odd forgetful moment and alzheimers is this:

If you can't remember where you put your car keys (or how to work that buckle), it's just normal brain clutter.

If you are holding the car keys (or shoe) in your hand, and can't remember what they're for, that's alzheimers.

Don't worry about it.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a senior moment and I've done it as well. And I'm an engineer. It certainly isn't obvious how they work and if you're just not at your sharpest in the morning you can feel pretty dumb.

Take solace in the fact that practice makes perfect. And then do what I do and get a show with laces...

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My experience may give you a little comfort.
    My wife does all banking for us. Well, she went on a multiple day trip alone which is a rare event for us.
    I needed to go to the bank to do a transaction. The clerk asked for my/our home phone number. I stared at her and could not remember. It must have been a year or more since I dialed that number. The cell phones all have names to dial and no need to dial the number.
    I mumbled something to the clerk and left the bank to collect my thoughts and came back later.
    Moral of this story (and your experience)?:
    We all do much on automatic pilot without thinking. If you are distracted with some troubling thoughts, the automatic pilot malfunctions and you find that the simplest things cannot be done.
    This is not Alzheimer's.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    My experience may give you a little comfort.
    My wife does all banking for us. Well, she went on a multiple day trip alone which is a rare event for us.
    I needed to go to the bank to do a transaction. The clerk asked for my/our home phone number. I stared at her and could not remember. It must have been a year or more since I dialed that number. The cell phones all have names to dial and no need to dial the number.
    I mumbled something to the clerk and left the bank to collect my thoughts and came back later.
    Moral of this story (and your experience)?:
    We all do much on automatic pilot without thinking. If you are distracted with some troubling thoughts, the automatic pilot malfunctions and you find that the simplest things cannot be done.
    This is not Alzheimer's.
    +1. I was at a museum or something, and trying to sign the guest log. I couldn't remember my darn address! So embarrassing, but what are you going to do? I made one up.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    +1. I was at a museum or something, and trying to sign the guest log. I couldn't remember my darn address! So embarrassing, but what are you going to do? I made one up.

Shouldn't you have this information printed on the waist band of your undershorts?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Shouldn't you have this information printed on the waist band of your undershorts?
    But he has to remember to wear his undershorts.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been told the memory is the 2nd thing to go. I don't remember what they said the first thing was...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A clear cut case of half-heimers if I ever saw one. It happens to you after 50. Tough luck, guy. bk

My Bikes
    '04 Trek 2300; '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed
    Yesterday morning, after I had been up for a couple of hours, I decided to go for a nice ride. I put on my jersey and shorts and took out my Sidi shoes and put one on. I took the other shoe and couldn't for the life of me remember how to work the buckle. I thought I was going to have to call my husband and have him tell me or come home and get the shoe I had just put on, off my foot. It only lasted about a minute before I figured out how to work the buckle, but it has really got me shook up. I am only 55--has any one else had experiences like this. This has happened to me before but not for at least about a year. Am I going to forget everything??
    Wait till you are 66 and see what happens. Don't worry! I try not to.

Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia
    My Bikes
    Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same with my Sidi shoes, the ratchet buckle, when I came back after a ride I had forgotten how to release them and had to phone a friend , who runs a LBS

I can't believe how easy it was to undo, and how easily I had forgotten.

george
    ---------------------------------------------------
    https://sites.google.com/site/imjibi/home

Photos of present tour of South East Asia
    http://picasaweb.google.com/georgeidf50/southeastasia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a concussion in the 80s, I never get on the bike without a helmet. One nice day I jumped on my mountain bike and climbed over the ridge behind my house and down the other side to the highway, a couple miles there and then started up the next ridge. I saw my shadow on the ground and it just didn't look right, so I reached up and touched my head, no helmet, oops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had 3 or 4 of those experiences in the last year...can't remember the simplest thing.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reason enough

to once again compliment the careful guidance provided by my favorite wife whose memory of my doings is prodigious, stupendous, exacting and complete. But then how else would she help me maintain my illusion of control?

Fortunately I'm in a profession where being 'absent-minded' is somehow a virtue and acceptable...
    centexwoody

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
    I've been told the memory is the 2nd thing to go. I don't remember what they said the first thing was...
    Knees.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    Fortunately I'm in a profession where being 'absent-minded' is somehow a virtue and acceptable...
    I didn't know you were a politician!
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I didn't know you were a politician!
    centexwoody

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed
    . . . It only lasted about a minute before I figured out how to work the buckle, but it has really got me shook up. I am only 55--has any one else had experiences like this. This has happened to me before but not for at least about a year. Am I going to forget everything??
    Ditto but maybe more than a minute for me and no way you'll forget now . . . it's like riding a bike

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There has been a lot of times I forgot my rear-view-miorror. Usually I glance for it within a block and go back for it. The funniest was looking for my glasses when I had them on.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You run a nuclear power plant???

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're a fact checker for the O'Reilly show on the Fox network???
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay