Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My "other" Non-Bicycling 50+ Interests

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-06, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
DnvrFox, I sing 1st tenor in a group similar to yours at our church. Also sing in adult choir.

I was really active in amateur radio for a number of years, but not so much lately. Same story on golf.

Current hobby interest other than cycling is handloading and shooting pistols and revolvers.
Old 10-16-06, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Golf********** Nobody mentioned golf???? OK, golf!
Old 10-16-06, 08:04 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Do they have their mouths open so that they can eat PIE**********
Old 10-16-06, 08:16 PM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My big interest is getting my 3D animation career back on track, by making animated shorts. This website will show you some of what I've done in animation and 3D in general. Point Happy Interactive

My other interests include helping out the Bicycling Advocacy of Central Arkansas, doing graphics, helping with events.

And of course, having been recently divorced, I'm getting back into the dating realm.
Old 10-16-06, 08:22 PM

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love your music - wonderful!
Thank you. Your group sounds pretty good, too.
Old 10-16-06, 08:26 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite, Specialized Rockhopper, S E BM Flyer, Diamondback Drifter 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I play drums in a rock band. I'm also a railroad enthusiast. (both prototype and HO scale.)
Old 10-16-06, 08:47 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Do they have their mouths open so that they can eat PIE**********
It is to catch the rotten tomatoes!
Old 10-16-06, 09:20 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Opera. I have season tickets to Vancouver and Seattle Opera companies, and being close to Seattle, I can't help but be a Wagnerite. I've seen the Ring five times (3x Seattle, plus Arizona (Glyn Ross's Flagstaff production) in 1998 and San Francisco in 1999. My biggest regret this year is missing Canadian Opera Company's Ring in Toronto last month, but I had just started a new job... I was also going to do a bike trip from Vienna to Budapest, and was planning to see Lohengrin at the Staatsoper and Meistersinger at the Komische Oper, but same thang with the job, oh well... Opera is a great way to meet very classy and beautiful women, too.

I used to play classical guitar, but my MBA and CMA studies got in the way, but I'm easing back in. And one of my life goals is to learn to play the accordion. I'd love to stand in front of a big crowd with an accordion and yell, "Everrrrrybody polka!"

I teach cross country skiing part-time during the winter, and I used to do some racing. This led to doing some biathlon, and the amount of hassle required to get the permits in Canada to acquire a .22 Russian biathlon rifle was so great that once I had the Possession/Acquisition license, I went out and got a few more higher-powered firearms. So I also like to do some target shooting with an AR-15, trap shooting with a 12-gauge shotgun, and practical shooting with a standard 9mm handgun (Czech-made CZ-75B), although I'll probably replace that with something like a Para-Ordnance .40 S&W. Vancouver tends to be a very gun-shy peace loving town just full of freaky tree-huggers, and I just love to see the looks on people's faces when they realize they are face-to-face with a real gun freak, heh, heh...

- L.
Old 10-16-06, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have no interests. Seafoam says I am the world's most boring human.
Old 10-16-06, 10:15 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
I have no interests. Seafoam says I am the world's most boring human.
I guess Seafoam doesn't know me.

And you DO have a hobby. You redo avatars.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-16-06, 10:17 PM

Bikes: All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a great idea:
I play mandolin in our church band, guitar in a americana band I started, I sing baritone and have conducted our church choir. I write my own music, the latest one for this coming veterans day, patriotic song.
I scuba dive (padi)
Leather work (made spending money while in the navey overseas)
Woodworking full wookshop
I teach as a full time job.
do some gold panning
Who has time for biking?
Steven
Old 10-16-06, 10:18 PM

Bikes: All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And no I don't teach english.
Steven
Old 10-17-06, 05:11 AM
Banned.

What an amazing bunch. So many varied interests and activities.

My high school recently set up a web page where classmates can share their "profiles" including their interests and activities. So, my graduating class (1957) has a few entries. This is NOT Classmates.com, a web site I have grown to detest, and have never paid my $25 annual fee. Grrr! What a rip-off, IMHO.

I am amazed at how boring some of those 66-67 yo entries are. It is like some of them have already stopped living, and just sit around occupying space and using the earth's resources without being involved in the world any more.

It is "grandchildren," travel or just a blank entry, except for a few "busy" folks. Maybe these are just modest!

I have always been convinced that busy folks (i.e., avid bicyclists) are busy in all parts of their lives.

Once again, I am proud to be a participant in this bicycling group!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-17-06 at 05:23 AM.
Old 10-17-06, 06:38 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although cycling and mountain biking take most of my time, I enjoy doing many things outdoor especially hiking. I've recently begun taking a scretch pad with me and fnding a beautiful spot up in the hills and drawing away. Hope someday to turn all the scretches into watercolors.

I also like doing alot of indoor girly things - you know - crafty stuff. I make greetings cards, collages etc. And I also like music. Spend way too much downloading to my iPod.

Also love movies but just seems like I never make it to a theater anymore. High prices (even with the senior discount) and rude patrons keep me home. With Net Flix and large home TVs so much easier to enjoy movies at home.

Mmmm after reading this I sound alittle boring... guess this weekend I'll spend some time in the garage trying to come up with a cure for boredom! That usually means breaking down and cleaning bikes.
Old 10-17-06, 11:29 AM
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I am amazed at how boring some of those 66-67 yo entries are. It is like some of them have already stopped living, and just sit around occupying space and using the earth's resources without being involved in the world any more.

It is "grandchildren," travel or just a blank entry, except for a few "busy" folks. Maybe these are just modest!
They may have stopped being part of the world a while ago. Even on the dating sites, the preponderance of people my age seem to have grandchildren, TV and going to Outback as their main activities. There are some women on there, younger than me who look decades older.

I got tired of answering inquiries from these people. My values tend to be skewed from the average American so I rewrote my entry to include enough about me to almost offend some of them. It's worked. The numbers of responses has dropped dramatically, but the quality has gone up immensely. I just want one person.
Old 10-17-06, 11:39 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Artkansas
They may have stopped being part of the world a while ago. Even on the dating sites, the preponderance of people my age seem to have grandchildren, TV and going to Outback as their main activities. There are some women on there, younger than me who look decades older.

I got tired of answering inquiries from these people. My values tend to be skewed from the average American so I rewrote my entry to include enough about me to almost offend some of them. It's worked. The numbers of responses has dropped dramatically, but the quality has gone up immensely. I just want one person.
And are you going to share your "rewrite" with the rest of us? Please!
Old 10-17-06, 12:04 PM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow! All kinds of interests and talents out there! Other that bicyling (3,000 miles this summer) I keep myself busy with building and flying small airplanes, raising and training English Cockers, backyard welding designing and building "stuff," ham radio projects, fly fishing, pheasant hunting, photography, shooting black powder antique firearms, primitive archery and flintknapping, (just getting into that - just what I need, another hobby!) spoiling grandchildren then leaving them to their parents, and scuba diving like ColoPenguin. Lots of reading come winter.....
Penguin - we usually dive Cozumel for a few weeks every winter - whan are you going? May run into you there.
My wife keeps telling me I'll have to get a job so I have time for all my projects! I don't sing, but she does and plays in a concert band as well.
Old 10-17-06, 12:33 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I was, and still am a keen gardener. I used to show Alpine Plants and became quite proficient- but all these hobbies take time that I do not have. You imagine showing Alpines- and I was spending 3 hours a day preparing the plants for next year, let alone for the shows in the next couple of months and weekends were travelling and showing on Saturdays and working in the greenhouse(s) on Sunday. 3 hours a day is not bad but try doing a job and the shows are in the winter months when daylight is a problem.

Then there was computing- But I still spend more than enough time on the damn thing even now.

Then there are the bikes- No need to say any more- except that the New bike shed now has electrics so I can prepare them late into the Nights- and I have decided to really get back into my First main hobby. Went out last weekend and bought a s/h 12 string guitar. Used to play Bass and Double bass in a local group that could boast that it played as warm up to Jimmie Hendrix and The Cream in our- and their - early days. I know a 12 string is not the same as a bass guitar- but It does sound better unacompanied.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-17-06, 12:39 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of interesting things! Biking is my new passion, I've always loved reading, do lots of it. Volleyball, I coach the 6-8 grade girls, gives me a chance to play with them some, and watching them go from never touching a volleyball to being able to play is the greatest. My husband andI have a ranch, so I do quite abit of horse back riding, this is what seems to get cut to make time for my biking. Work full time and have one child still in high school.
Old 10-17-06, 12:53 PM
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Ranked competitive shooter - Highpower mostly, as well as dabbling in metallic silhouette, NRA 3-position, and IPSC. Love to hunt - mostly birds, but really like getting out after wild hogs. If any of you California rural types have a hog problem you want fixed, just let me know.....

I'm also a NRA certified instructor, and teach/coach the youth at a local range where I instruct and am a Range Officer. My little girl went Distinguished Expert in light rifle (.22) just before she turned 10. Good coach....

I've found that shooting and cycling are good family activities, and promote such qualities as mental discipline, personal responsibility, and setting/achieving long term goals.

S. J. Perelman
Old 10-17-06, 01:08 PM
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woodworking, or as my wife calls it "wooddorking." My gara.... er, shop is full of my table saw, band saw, jointer, planer, drill press, workbench, router table and wood.
Old 10-17-06, 01:09 PM
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Major League Baseball. Man I hate when the season's over. Of course now I can concentrate on the hot stove league.
Old 10-17-06, 01:14 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to be into woodworking, or, as my ex-wife used to call it, collecting woodworking equipment. I actually don't miss that very much. I do read a lot, and I'm an amateur musician (keyboards) but I haven't played much in a couple of years.

My other passion these days is photography, and right now I'm torn between spending some "found" money (an unexpected client project fell into my lap) on a new lens or two, or spending it on a bike. To be honest, I'm leaning toward the lens. I beg your pardon.

Of course, I could always pay down a bill or two. Sigh. How boring.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-17-06, 02:01 PM
Resident Old Fart

Bikes: Douglas Precision Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OH306
Golf********** Nobody mentioned golf???? OK, golf!
Well, we DO have our standards, you know.
Old 10-17-06, 02:28 PM
tly

Bikes: Cannondale T700 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've spent the last three years and all of my vacation participating as a soldier in the re-enactment of the 200th anniversary of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. I enjoy history, woodworking and now that the re-enactment has come to an end I hope to get back into fly fishing.

The Lewis and Clark thing was quite an adventure. I belong to the Discovery Expedition of St. Charles Missouri https://www.lewisandclark.net which is the group that traveled the entire route of the original expedition following the journals in period boats, living in tents, wearing period clothes and educating many many school kids who came to our camps about Lewis and Clark.

Tried to upload a picture of our boats but wasn't successful. Guess I need to spend some spare time learning to post properly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.