Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My "other" Non-Bicycling 50+ Interests

How many of you maintain intense interests in addition to cycling? Please tell us about it.

I have shared this before, but I am so excited about this group I started that I wanted to share it just one more time. My XY Zingers group continues to get asked to sing. This is our most recent performance yesterday (Sunday, October 15th). where we were the entertainment for a ladies luncheon. We will be singing again in church on the 29th and to a local senior center on November 15th. I sang a solo while playing my guitar and did the harmony for a duet with another singer.

Yesterday, someone asked me "Who does your arranging?" I looked at her dumbfounded. Arranging? Were supposed to have arranging? I told her we just figured things out as we went along.

You can hear out group here, if you haven't already. Allow a couple of minutes for the download.

So, please share your OTHER interests, pictures, etc.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-16-06 at 07:48 AM.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Audio; a hobby that, alas, is rife with charlatanry and silliness. I do some DIY, having built the Linkwitz Orion speakers and amplifiers to power them. But in line with my skepticism the rest of my system is nothing exotic. (My audio Web pages.) I don't participate much in audio forums anymore. (I think I spend too much time here!).

I'm into audio because of my love of classical music. Mahler is my man, but I have been in a "French phase" of late, from Berlioz thru Ravel and Debussy. Opera has, for no particular reason, been neglected.

Now and then I think I'd like to join a choral group since I have a decent baritone, but my sight-singing skills are nil. I was a drummer/percussionist once upon a time.

While I'm not a hardcore gearhead I like a fast, nimble car. I drive a Subaru WRX wagon...a real sleeper, especially with the Yakima bike rack on the roof! Tried autocrossing but, frankly, I sucked. In my last event I got confused and headed for some corner workers at high speed!

I flyfish the rivers and streams of northern lower Michigan for trout, and local lakes for...whatever. Bluegills on a light flyrod are fun! Caught some bonefish on the flats in Belize once too in one of my very few saltwater outings.
    Last edited by bcoppola; 10-16-06 at 08:59 AM.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...tasting looking salads

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I raise, show and hunt Jack Russell Terriers. They are great fun and have led us to friends all over the U.S. We've been to England three times now to visit friends there and to fox hunt with terriers. It's a wild experience and completely different than anything that is done here in the U.S. Very very traditional and more than a little awe inspiring.

We're lucky enough to have some decent dogs, you can see them at Huntmoor.com if you're interested. We attend probably ten to twelve Trials each year, and have a good time with the performance events as well as the showing. It's nice to have a common interest that is really a passion for us to share! This is Liberator, she's one of our family, a great performer herself and her first litter of pups produced some good dogs too. Wish her and her offspring good luck next week at the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America's National Trial, held at Steppingstone Museum and Park in Havre De Grace, MD.

It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman
    My wife and I raise, show and hunt Jack Russell Terriers...
    ...which reminds me of this classic thread!

(Very handsome dog, and of course you're nothing like the subject of that tale.)
    Last edited by bcoppola; 10-16-06 at 12:24 PM.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my old group, Goofer Dust.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interests other than cycling? I'm confused.

On a serious note, music (mostly jazz), guitars, photography, cooking, and my professional work.
    Last edited by NOS88; 10-16-06 at 02:44 PM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read a good deal. I do a radio show. And, I spend time with the wife, shopping, movies, driving around, etc. Top of the list though are the Grandbabies.
    Just Peddlin' Around

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola
    ...which reminds me of this classic thread!

(Very handsome dog, and of course you're nothing like the subject of that tale.)
    Thanks for the complement on Libby and in case anyone wonders, we have a large fenced yard for the dogs to enjoy safely away from coyotes, street hockey players and the ever dreaded tire pump wielding cyclist. I wish all my neighbors did the same....

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) hikes and walks with my wife
    2) automobile maintenance and light repair with my sons
    3) adult education
    (I teach at UCSD Extension, and I run a weekly discussion forum group.)
    4) classical music, both secular and liturgical
    (I do play the piano, but I am much better at listening. )
    5) home improvement
    6) political activism, particularly on local issues
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola
    Audio; a hobby that, alas, is rife with charlatanry and silliness. I do some DIY, having built the Linkwitz Orion speakers and amplifiers to power them. But in line with my skepticism the rest of my system is nothing exotic. (My audio Web pages.) I don't participate much in audio forums anymore. (I think I spend too much time here!).

I'm into audio because of my love of classical music. Mahler is my man, but I have been in a "French phase" of late, from Berlioz thru Ravel and Debussy. ...
    You da man!

I am particularly gratified that my elder son's Beethoven-centric musical tastes are about what mine were at his age (22). My other favorites are Rachmaninov piano concerti, Chopin piano works, early Bruckner symphonies, and almost anything by J. S. Bach.

We usually buy season tickets to the San Diego Opera (sdopera.com) and La Jolla Symphony and Chorus (ljsymphony.com), and I am vice-president of the Lake San Marcos Chamber Music Society (http://lsmcms.adnc.com/). I also serve on the Music Comittee at church (sdumc.org).
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Coyote!
    1. Back yard welding,

2. ANYTHING in redrock country [What else might you expect from coyotes?]

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two current interests which are syphoning dollars out of my paycheck -- in addition to biking -- are remote control airplanes and scuba diving.

My son got me into r/c flying about 5 years ago. I must confess my planes have been hanger queens this year because of weather -- when it was stormy I could not fly and when it was sunny I had to ride. ;-)

Scuba is new to the list. Got open water certified in January and am planning a trip to the Yucatan Penn. this January. It was something I always wanted to do, and finally decided last fall to just do it. And since it is a great excuse for winter trips, it really doesn't conflict with biking.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --
    WOW!!! What a ride!"

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm an avid reader...always have half a dozen books from the local library ready to be consumed. I finish the last page of one and then start on another.

My wife and I also love to cruise and our annual trip is coming up this Friday...nine glorious nights in the warm caribbean. We usually take our trip in the Fall to avoid the school age kids and to celebrate our wedding anniversary on October 22nd. Only four days to go...I can't wait.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I paid the bills in college by designing, building, and selling loudspeakers. I also build golf clubs. I've spent some cycles building PC's but not so much anymore, and used to collect wine but now I just drink it. I enjoy the occasional project around the house. I used to play golf every day as well. No time anymore with 4 kids all going different directions.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Semper Fi there Semper Fi.

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I can't tolerate life without a little music.
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After spending time with my wife and grandkids, I play bass.

Here are samples from one of the groups ... http://www.customized-applications.c...me_cookin_.htm

Samples from my church and from several other groups I've played with over the last couple years are on that same web site.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycle
    After spending time with my wife and grandkids, I play bass.

Here are samples from one of the groups ... http://www.customized-applications.c...me_cookin_.htm

Samples from my church and from several other groups I've played with over the last couple years are on that same web site.
    I love your music - wonderful!

Come play with/for the XY Zingers!

Our current song is an old-time gospel song - "Wonderful Grace of Jesus" and an old-time hymn, "Sweet Hour of Prayer"
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lionel Trains. I started collecting before I met my wife and kept on collecting over the years. I still have about 80% of the trains my folks purchased when I was 7. I plan on finishing my layout over the next two months. Of course I've been saying that for the last two years. Seems like there's always one more addition.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other interests?
    Sailing (Alberg 30)
    Backpacking
    Reading
    Kayaking
    Lots of other stuff!

Pete

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least it still has two wheels
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Man
    At least it still has two wheels

PASSIONATE about? Motorcycles. Ride very often. 1983 CB-1100-f Honda. Never been without at least one motorcycle for forty years. I triathlon and thus run and swim as well as bike. I work out everyday.

I was an NCAA soccer player and follow the EPL and the American MLS avidly. I am familiar with many players and the coaches of various teams. I go nuts every four years for the WC. I have played or coached or ref'd every year for thirty years. I have probably coached 25 different youth teams. I am currently coaching a bunch of wormy 2nd and 3rd grade boys who I knew only through their parents.

I have taught an adult Sunday School class at a Methodist church for twenty years. I read a fair amount of history and anthropology. I was an anthro major in college.

Finally, I too, am an avid non-fiction reader. Like some posters above, I read continually. Generally I have a couple of books going at once.

I am an assistant district attorney and find it interesting, but I try to limit it to 8-5, if at all possible. After all, there are things to do!

Tyson
    Cushing, Oklahoma

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox

How many of you maintain intense interests in addition to cycling? Please tell us about it.

I have shared this before, but I am so excited about this group I started that I wanted to share it just one more time. My XY Zingers group continues to get asked to sing. This is our most recent performance yesterday (Sunday, October 15th). where we were the entertainment for a ladies luncheon. We will be singing again in church on the 29th and to a local senior center on November 15th. I sang a solo while playing my guitar and did the harmony for a duet with another singer.

Yesterday, someone asked me "Who does your arranging?" I looked at her dumbfounded. Arranging? Were supposed to have arranging? I told her we just figured things out as we went along.

You can hear out group here, if you haven't already. Allow a couple of minutes for the download.

So, please share your OTHER interests, pictures, etc.
    Well, I have more interests than I have time to persue, but I just joined up with this bunch. http://ca.geocities.com/thequeensmen@rogers.com/
    If you look under current members, you'll find me.
    Dan Burkhart
    www.boomerbicycle.ca

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Avid reader of 1) history and 2)economics history or theory

- Long distance ***** marksmanship (300yrds+)
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast