Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-06, 07:23 AM   #1
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My "other" Non-Bicycling 50+ Interests

How many of you maintain intense interests in addition to cycling? Please tell us about it.

I have shared this before, but I am so excited about this group I started that I wanted to share it just one more time. My XY Zingers group continues to get asked to sing. This is our most recent performance yesterday (Sunday, October 15th). where we were the entertainment for a ladies luncheon. We will be singing again in church on the 29th and to a local senior center on November 15th. I sang a solo while playing my guitar and did the harmony for a duet with another singer.

Yesterday, someone asked me "Who does your arranging?" I looked at her dumbfounded. Arranging? Were supposed to have arranging? I told her we just figured things out as we went along.

You can hear out group here, if you haven't already. Allow a couple of minutes for the download.

So, please share your OTHER interests, pictures, etc.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 10-16-06 at 07:48 AM.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 08:47 AM   #2
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
Audio; a hobby that, alas, is rife with charlatanry and silliness. I do some DIY, having built the Linkwitz Orion speakers and amplifiers to power them. But in line with my skepticism the rest of my system is nothing exotic. (My audio Web pages.) I don't participate much in audio forums anymore. (I think I spend too much time here!).

I'm into audio because of my love of classical music. Mahler is my man, but I have been in a "French phase" of late, from Berlioz thru Ravel and Debussy. Opera has, for no particular reason, been neglected.

Now and then I think I'd like to join a choral group since I have a decent baritone, but my sight-singing skills are nil. I was a drummer/percussionist once upon a time.

While I'm not a hardcore gearhead I like a fast, nimble car. I drive a Subaru WRX wagon...a real sleeper, especially with the Yakima bike rack on the roof! Tried autocrossing but, frankly, I sucked. In my last event I got confused and headed for some corner workers at high speed!

I flyfish the rivers and streams of northern lower Michigan for trout, and local lakes for...whatever. Bluegills on a light flyrod are fun! Caught some bonefish on the flats in Belize once too in one of my very few saltwater outings.

Last edited by bcoppola; 10-16-06 at 08:59 AM.
bcoppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 08:51 AM   #3
jm01
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id
Hmmm...tasting looking salads
jm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 09:11 AM   #4
Terrierman

Bikes:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
My wife and I raise, show and hunt Jack Russell Terriers. They are great fun and have led us to friends all over the U.S. We've been to England three times now to visit friends there and to fox hunt with terriers. It's a wild experience and completely different than anything that is done here in the U.S. Very very traditional and more than a little awe inspiring.

We're lucky enough to have some decent dogs, you can see them at Huntmoor.com if you're interested. We attend probably ten to twelve Trials each year, and have a good time with the performance events as well as the showing. It's nice to have a common interest that is really a passion for us to share! This is Liberator, she's one of our family, a great performer herself and her first litter of pups produced some good dogs too. Wish her and her offspring good luck next week at the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America's National Trial, held at Steppingstone Museum and Park in Havre De Grace, MD.

Old 10-16-06, 09:23 AM   #5
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrierman
My wife and I raise, show and hunt Jack Russell Terriers...
...which reminds me of this classic thread!

(Very handsome dog, and of course you're nothing like the subject of that tale.)

Last edited by bcoppola; 10-16-06 at 12:24 PM.
bcoppola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 10:15 AM   #6
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Here's my old group, Goofer Dust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goofers1.jpg (61.0 KB, 40 views)
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 12:02 PM   #7
NOS88

Bikes:
Interests other than cycling? I'm confused.

On a serious note, music (mostly jazz), guitars, photography, cooking, and my professional work.

Last edited by NOS88; 10-16-06 at 02:44 PM.
NOS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 12:13 PM   #8
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
I read a good deal. I do a radio show. And, I spend time with the wife, shopping, movies, driving around, etc. Top of the list though are the Grandbabies.
Old 10-16-06, 12:52 PM   #9
Terrierman

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoppola
...which reminds me of this classic thread!

(Very handsome dog, and of course you're nothing like the subject of that tale.)
Thanks for the complement on Libby and in case anyone wonders, we have a large fenced yard for the dogs to enjoy safely away from coyotes, street hockey players and the ever dreaded tire pump wielding cyclist. I wish all my neighbors did the same....
Old 10-16-06, 12:59 PM   #10
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
1) hikes and walks with my wife
2) automobile maintenance and light repair with my sons
3) adult education
(I teach at UCSD Extension, and I run a weekly discussion forum group.)
4) classical music, both secular and liturgical
(I do play the piano, but I am much better at listening. )
5) home improvement
6) political activism, particularly on local issues
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 01:05 PM   #11
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoppola
Audio; a hobby that, alas, is rife with charlatanry and silliness. I do some DIY, having built the Linkwitz Orion speakers and amplifiers to power them. But in line with my skepticism the rest of my system is nothing exotic. (My audio Web pages.) I don't participate much in audio forums anymore. (I think I spend too much time here!).

I'm into audio because of my love of classical music. Mahler is my man, but I have been in a "French phase" of late, from Berlioz thru Ravel and Debussy. ...
You da man!

I am particularly gratified that my elder son's Beethoven-centric musical tastes are about what mine were at his age (22). My other favorites are Rachmaninov piano concerti, Chopin piano works, early Bruckner symphonies, and almost anything by J. S. Bach.

We usually buy season tickets to the San Diego Opera (sdopera.com) and La Jolla Symphony and Chorus (ljsymphony.com), and I am vice-president of the Lake San Marcos Chamber Music Society (http://lsmcms.adnc.com/). I also serve on the Music Comittee at church (sdumc.org).
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 01:38 PM   #12
Coyote!

Bikes:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
1. Back yard welding,

2. ANYTHING in redrock country [What else might you expect from coyotes?]
Old 10-16-06, 01:59 PM   #13
Coloradopenguin

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
My two current interests which are syphoning dollars out of my paycheck -- in addition to biking -- are remote control airplanes and scuba diving.

My son got me into r/c flying about 5 years ago. I must confess my planes have been hanger queens this year because of weather -- when it was stormy I could not fly and when it was sunny I had to ride. ;-)

Scuba is new to the list. Got open water certified in January and am planning a trip to the Yucatan Penn. this January. It was something I always wanted to do, and finally decided last fall to just do it. And since it is a great excuse for winter trips, it really doesn't conflict with biking.
Coloradopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 02:12 PM   #14
SemperFi
Pinstriper

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
I'm an avid reader...always have half a dozen books from the local library ready to be consumed. I finish the last page of one and then start on another.

My wife and I also love to cruise and our annual trip is coming up this Friday...nine glorious nights in the warm caribbean. We usually take our trip in the Fall to avoid the school age kids and to celebrate our wedding anniversary on October 22nd. Only four days to go...I can't wait.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 02:24 PM   #15
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I paid the bills in college by designing, building, and selling loudspeakers. I also build golf clubs. I've spent some cycles building PC's but not so much anymore, and used to collect wine but now I just drink it. I enjoy the occasional project around the house. I used to play golf every day as well. No time anymore with 4 kids all going different directions.
dbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 02:25 PM   #16
Terrierman

Bikes:
Semper Fi there Semper Fi.
Old 10-16-06, 02:27 PM   #17
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Oh, and I can't tolerate life without a little music.
dbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 02:42 PM   #18
Recycle

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
After spending time with my wife and grandkids, I play bass.

Here are samples from one of the groups ... http://www.customized-applications.c...me_cookin_.htm

Samples from my church and from several other groups I've played with over the last couple years are on that same web site.
Recycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 04:30 PM   #19
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycle
After spending time with my wife and grandkids, I play bass.

Here are samples from one of the groups ... http://www.customized-applications.c...me_cookin_.htm

Samples from my church and from several other groups I've played with over the last couple years are on that same web site.
I love your music - wonderful!

Come play with/for the XY Zingers!

Our current song is an old-time gospel song - "Wonderful Grace of Jesus" and an old-time hymn, "Sweet Hour of Prayer"
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 05:20 PM   #20
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Speialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lionel Trains. I started collecting before I met my wife and kept on collecting over the years. I still have about 80% of the trains my folks purchased when I was 7. I plan on finishing my layout over the next two months. Of course I've been saying that for the last two years. Seems like there's always one more addition.
Old 10-16-06, 05:28 PM   #21
staehpj1 

Bikes:
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Other interests?
Sailing (Alberg 30)
Backpacking
Reading
Kayaking
Lots of other stuff!

Pete
staehpj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 06:23 PM   #22
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2
At least it still has two wheels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-9-06 b re-size.jpg (96.9 KB, 15 views)
Metric Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 06:34 PM   #23
TysonB

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric Man
At least it still has two wheels

PASSIONATE about? Motorcycles. Ride very often. 1983 CB-1100-f Honda. Never been without at least one motorcycle for forty years. I triathlon and thus run and swim as well as bike. I work out everyday.

I was an NCAA soccer player and follow the EPL and the American MLS avidly. I am familiar with many players and the coaches of various teams. I go nuts every four years for the WC. I have played or coached or ref'd every year for thirty years. I have probably coached 25 different youth teams. I am currently coaching a bunch of wormy 2nd and 3rd grade boys who I knew only through their parents.

I have taught an adult Sunday School class at a Methodist church for twenty years. I read a fair amount of history and anthropology. I was an anthro major in college.

Finally, I too, am an avid non-fiction reader. Like some posters above, I read continually. Generally I have a couple of books going at once.

I am an assistant district attorney and find it interesting, but I try to limit it to 8-5, if at all possible. After all, there are things to do!

Tyson
Cushing, Oklahoma
TysonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 06:44 PM   #24
Dan Burkhart 

Bikes:
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

How many of you maintain intense interests in addition to cycling? Please tell us about it.

I have shared this before, but I am so excited about this group I started that I wanted to share it just one more time. My XY Zingers group continues to get asked to sing. This is our most recent performance yesterday (Sunday, October 15th). where we were the entertainment for a ladies luncheon. We will be singing again in church on the 29th and to a local senior center on November 15th. I sang a solo while playing my guitar and did the harmony for a duet with another singer.

Yesterday, someone asked me "Who does your arranging?" I looked at her dumbfounded. Arranging? Were supposed to have arranging? I told her we just figured things out as we went along.

You can hear out group here, if you haven't already. Allow a couple of minutes for the download.

So, please share your OTHER interests, pictures, etc.
Well, I have more interests than I have time to persue, but I just joined up with this bunch. http://ca.geocities.com/thequeensmen@rogers.com/
If you look under current members, you'll find me.
Dan Burkhart
www.boomerbicycle.ca
Dan Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-06, 06:51 PM   #25
Monoborracho

Bikes: Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Soma Saga
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
- Avid reader of 1) history and 2)economics history or theory

- Long distance rifle marksmanship (300yrds+)