Thread: Scott or Giant

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scott or Giant

I was out riding in the rain yesterday and besides thinking of my Brooks saddle I got to thinking new bikes again.I got home dried off took a shower and headed to the bike shop.I was pretty impressed with the Scott and all the Shimano 105 parts on it.I think it was pretty close to $1800.I don't have anything to do today because of more rain so I'm going to look at the Giants.I was going to wait until they run some sales for the holidays and to get rid of old stock.I thought I read somewhere on the forums that they are going to make some good changes in a lot of the new bikes coming out and I was wondering if I shouldn't just wait.The Scott I was looking at was the Cyclocross modle.

About the Brooks saddle,when I got back and the saddle was wet I looked at the sit bone marks. I was really surprised to see the sit bone mark on the right was a lot deeper than on the left.I looked to make sure that everything was lined up and the nose was pushed a little to the left.I probably kicked it over while looking back at traffic.I was wondering if I'm using my right leg for more power, or if it was caused by being not lined up.It was out of line about an inch.Anyhow I let it dry overnight and just proofide it and I'm pretty much ready to go again. Thanks George
    George

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both nice bikes, but Scott tends to be a bit overpriced in Canada (Euro exchange rate?), Specialized and Trek Pilots are popular here, and Cervello is making a strong showing as well.

I'm waiting to see the 2007 Specialized Sirrus models, my lbs tells me that they will have carbon forks AND carbon stays with a roadie drive train and a 30T grannie...could be interesting

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may want to know that I got a new Trek Madone 5.2 with Ultegra components for $2,200 plus tax.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good to know Will,I thought they started at $4500. Thanks George
    George

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep looking and the bargains will appear. Have to admit that I have a Giant. Only a cheaper model but the bit I buy is the frame. I know parts will wear out over the next few years and I can upgrade at that time- if I feel it is necessary. Giant do make superb frames- The rest of the bits are down to choice- your choice so plenty of catalogue browsing to do before deciding on a make and model.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George McClusky
    ...I got to thinking new bikes again.I got home dried off took a shower and headed to the bike shop.I was pretty impressed with the Scott and all the Shimano 105 parts on it.I think it was pretty close to $1800.I don't have anything to do today because of more rain so I'm going to look at the Giants...
    Didn't I warn you about this? Dude, you are so hooked!

Any bets on when George get the itch to try a fixed gear?
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola
    Didn't I warn you about this? Dude, you are so hooked!

Any bets on when George get the itch to try a fixed gear?

By spring of next year!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Giant rider, too. OCR2 CF, fulll Ultegra, 'way under $2000 as a demo with 112 miles on it. Great frame. Big company behind it.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+ 1 for Giant

I'm still cranking along on my Giant MTB steel frame and have NO complaints about it. Yes, I know that's not what you're looking at but I've been very happy with mine. If they made bigger frames, I would have gotten another one as my touring bike.

At the IFMA bike show in Cologne this fall, Giant had a big booth and their prices were lower than most other manufacturers with roughly same components. My lBS sells the Giants like hotcakes and gives the lifetime tuneup guarantee on each one. Of course they figure that 95 % of them will never come back but even the ones that do are easy to adjust/tune.

I saw a number of Scott cycles in Bonn and was told by a local that they are highly regarded. So highly regarded that they are among the bikes most frequently stolen...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    You may want to know that I got a new Trek Madone 5.2 with Ultegra components for $2,200 plus tax.
    So when do we get the pics?
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came back from the Giant bike shop and they said the Giant was to small for me and to look at the Raleigh.He said that Giant was making there frames for one size fits all.I said well I guess I'm the guy that they forgot about.I really didn't think 6'2" was that big, infact I thought it was pretty close to average. Anyhow I thought I had it pretty figured out.Back to the drawing board.You were right bcoppola.My wife says, cant you be content with one bike.I said if everybody were content we would be living on the east coast where Columbus set foot, as she walked away. Thanks George
    George

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The average American male is 5' 9". 6'2", across all ethnic groups, sits up around the 92nd or 93th percentile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about looking at LeMond? I bought a Versailles for $999.99 last month. Equipped with mostly 105 with Ultegra RD and Bontrager Race Lux cranks.
    Trek over produced road bikes and is closing them out to their dealers.
    Treks, 79-710, 83-600, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-930, 1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 6'2" and my Large Giant (is that a double positive?) fits fine. I think they make extra larges, too.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most bike manufacturers, especially the mega makers like Giant, Trek, Specialized offer a full line of sizes going up to the equivalent of a traditional 62cm frame...which would include you at 6'2". Never heard of a "one size fits all" manufacturer. Bullshot! Even compacts come in small, medium, etc. Maybe the problem is more with the guy at the LBS than with you or Giant. Don't give up on Giant bikes if you're interested....many people testify they provide great value for the buck.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the Brooks saddle,when I got back and the saddle was wet I looked at the sit bone marks. I was really surprised to see the sit bone mark on the right was a lot deeper than on the left.I looked to make sure that everything was lined up and the nose was pushed a little to the left.I probably kicked it over while looking back at traffic.I was wondering if I'm using my right leg for more power, or if it was caused by being not lined up.It was out of line about an inch.Anyhow I let it dry overnight and just proofide it and I'm pretty much ready to go again. Thanks George
    Just a thought from a rookie, my son in-law is a D.O., the same as an M.D. except they study bone manipulation like a chiopractor. He makes adjustments on me every month or so and my hips/pelvic area go out of wack, my term not his, so I'm a fraction short on one leg. A little tug from the right person and my back feels better and my knee feels better even though I don't really "feel" out I feel much better when he's done. Might be something to consider.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea for my back,but now that I lined the saddle up it may be OK. I didn't say what happened about a week ago.Them clipless pedals. I was going though these 2 narrow pipes at George Bush park and I clipped one. The rest is history.I think if I had the platform pedals on I still would have gone down,that's why nothing was said.
    As for the Giant I don't think he had my size and he didn't have a fitter. He just said we do it the old way. He's the guy that said when the new ones come out they will all have a shorter top tube.That's really hard to believe and I'm not to sure I do. I'll have to do some more research and find out what's going on. I was hoping to get one around the end of the year to get a deal.If not I'll just wait.The more I read on the Raleigh I probably could just upgrade the one I have I think. Thanks again George
    George

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    Yeah, I am picture taking challenged. I am going to Detroit tomorrow (that is where the bike is) and weather permitting will find someone to make a picture of me on that bike.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came back from the Giant bike shop and they said the Giant was to small for me and to look at the Raleigh.He said that Giant was making there frames for one size fits all.I said well I guess I'm the guy that they forgot about.I really didn't think 6'2" was that big, infact I thought it was pretty close to average. Anyhow I thought I had it pretty figured out.Back to the drawing board.You were right bcoppola.My wife says, cant you be content with one bike.I said if everybody were content we would be living on the east coast where Columbus set foot, as she walked away. Thanks George
    George,
    Please be careful with bike size. I am about 6'1" and size 60 cm bike is definitely to big for me. My friend, a performance biker, is taller than and uses size 58. He claims that that is the thing to do. I know several bikers of my size all on size 58.
    A frame too big is not comfortable and may cause handling problems. Try to get a bike for extensive test ride.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked about taking a bike home for the weekend and he didn't respond,so I guess that's a no. I just got done checking out the Giant and my Trek and the geometries and they almost the same.Mine has a 2" longer wheel base,which would give me an easier ride.I have the large frame and that was the extra large on the Giant.That was on an 07 bike. I didn't think he was altogether telling the truth. Oh well.Anyhow I wonder how much I would gain. I can't find a weight but if it was only 2 pounds or close to that I might as well upgrade mine and be done with it.
    George

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one, I hope.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant go there yet,but you know what I was thinking,Cannondale.With my Arthristis.What do think?I was leaning toward the T 800.You know the Cannondale line, don't you Will?I couldn't find out to much about the Giant after I stopped at there store so I went to the Cannondale store. I was looking around and I seen this T2000.Sorry sir sold,then I seen a T800, sorry sir sold.I guess these things are selling like hotcakes.I said I'll call back. Got home and started my hunt for the Cannondale(the Giant is still for sale)and while I was looking up the T800 and another touring bike came up,the Novara Randonee.They got them on back order, there selling like crazy too.On ebay the Giant hasn't had a bid and the touring bikes got a war going on.I like the looks of the Cannondale and the Randonee.They looked like a more relaxed ride.Have'nt taken any out for a ride with all the rain we've been having.Everytime I turn over a rock something new pops up.Will I'd love to get a bike like you got but This Arthritis came on so fast it had me knocked down for about 6 months.The drugs are working now, and I feel a lot better.I think if I got hit hard again I may be able to unload the touring bike faster if I had to.Anyhow I know you'll enjoy your new bike,and good luck,George
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice bike and, I notice, matching outfit. Will, you may have entered the world of "OCP". Your 45 degree angle back on the hoods looks just fine for the long riding you plan, and the drops are there for staying ahead of those "4 guys" you've set your sights on this coming summer. Sounds like you got a really nice $ deal on the Madone as well. Are you going to put the Madone on your CycleOps this winter?

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice bike and, I notice, matching outfit. Will, you may have entered the world of "OCP". Your 45 degree angle back on the hoods looks just fine for the long riding you plan, and the drops are there for staying ahead of those "4 guys" you've set your sights on this coming summer. Sounds like you got a really nice $ deal on the Madone as well. Are you going to put the Madone on your CycleOps this winter?
    Nah,--I will use this sturdy Trek Hybrid for the trainer. This Madone is a little bit like a delicate machine to me. I can't believe that 17 lbs can support a big guy like me, but it does very nicely. You need to know that I am an old fashion mechanical engineer. In my 50 year career I needed to accept Aluminum and Carbon Fibers as being OK. Was not easy to do.
    "OCP", yes, may as well live it up while I can.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant go there yet,but you know what I was thinking,Cannondale.With my Arthristis.What do think?I was leaning toward the T 800.You know the Cannondale line, don't you Will?I couldn't find out to much about the Giant after I stopped at there store so I went to the Cannondale store. I was looking around and I seen this T2000.Sorry sir sold,then I seen a T800, sorry sir sold.I guess these things are selling like hotcakes.I said I'll call back. Got home and started my hunt for the Cannondale(the Giant is still for sale)and while I was looking up the T800 and another touring bike came up,the Novara Randonee.They got them on back order, there selling like crazy too.On ebay the Giant hasn't had a bid and the touring bikes got a war going on.I like the looks of the Cannondale and the Randonee.They looked like a more relaxed ride.Have'nt taken any out for a ride with all the rain we've been having.Everytime I turn over a rock something new pops up.Will I'd love to get a bike like you got but This Arthritis came on so fast it had me knocked down for about 6 months.The drugs are working now, and I feel a lot better.I think if I got hit hard again I may be able to unload the touring bike faster if I had to.Anyhow I know you'll enjoy your new bike,and good luck,George
    George:
    I feel humbled. This poster on one of your threads pointed out the difference of arthritis due to injury and Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). I must say that I am ignorant as to such affliction and better shut up.
    Will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast