Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Thinking of changing clipless pedals (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/237639-thinking-changing-clipless-pedals.html)

fopianki 10-16-06 04:56 PM

Thinking of changing clipless pedals

I've been using SPD pedals since "Moby Dick was a minnow"...in fact I've never tried Looks ...(I tried Speedplays and hated them!) Since I'm buying a new bike (Serotta) I thought I'd check with my fellow wizards and see if there is a concensus that the Look pedals are worth considering...anyone ever use SPDs and then change to Looks? if so, what made you decide to change? Frankp

NOS88 10-16-06 05:16 PM

I have to ask, are you unhappy with the SPD pedals? If not, why change?

Louis 10-16-06 05:23 PM

My fleet of bikes has now reached 8. Some have SPD, some have Look, and some use clips and straps. As mood strikes I switch them around. If I was going to race (yeah, right:rolleyes: ) I would use the Looks because they seem to transfer power more efficiently due to the wider platform. If this is important to you, then I think you will see some improvement over the SPD's.

Since I stopped caring about things of this nature, I prefer SPD's because of their convenience. I like to be able to use mountain bike shoes on my road bikes at times.

Little Darwin 10-16-06 05:30 PM

Back in the ancient days when there were more word processors than Microsoft Word, I really tried to figure out which one was best, and I discovered which one was.

For each individual it was the one that they learned first. I suspect it could be the same for pedal systems.

Especially if you have been happy, and using them since Moby Dick was a minnow, I would lean toward staying with what you know. I would lean toward being adventurous if the trial can be performed very cheaply, for example loaner pedals and cleats...

staehpj1 10-16-06 05:38 PM

I always felt like my Look pedals were faster and more comfortable, but obviously they aren't as nice for walking.

It may be that I just bought better shoes (Sidi) for them than I did for my SPD's though.

Pete

fopianki 10-16-06 07:57 PM

I think the main reason I was interested was the size and stability of the platform...I ride long distances such as double centuries and so I want to have the best platform to preserve the old legs...I recall that I hated the speedplays because they were so tiny it felt like I was pushing in a lollypop...my leg seemed to wobble around. Since I never tried the Looks and they seem to be pretty substantial, I thought that, even though I've been satisfied with SPDs I should see if I've been missing out on a better platform. There must be some reason that people will tolerate that uncomfortable walking shoe!!! :eek:
thanks Frankp

ranger5oh 10-16-06 08:05 PM

I switched from SPD to Look... and it was the single best thing I ever did... as far as switching pedals goes :)

gear 10-17-06 03:36 AM

I switched from SPD to SPD-SL which are very similar to LOOKs. I love the SPD-SL pedals and actually find that the cleats are easier to walk in than SPD cleats, they are bigger but they are neoprene (with rubber tips) rather than metal so they don't slip on the pavement (of course I'm talking about road shoes here). I've worn the cleats and pedals for three years now without apreciable wear, the clip-in proceedure it easy you just slide the bottom of your foot over the pedal till it catches like a tailhook. The bigger platform cleats and lighter weight (combination of cleat and pedal) are great, much better than SPD. I'm not against the LOOKs but check out the SPD-SLs too, I love mine.

BluesDawg 10-17-06 04:31 AM

You'll never know until you try them for yourself. I've used Looks for years. With either Look or SPD-SL, be sure to get a pair of Kool Kovers to cover the cleats while walking. They prevent sliding across floors and keep dirt from getting into your pedals. Makes the cleats last longer too.

robtown 10-17-06 05:38 AM

I switched from SPD to LOOK because they came with my new road bike. I like the ease of clicking in/out. They are slippery for walking or even having one foot down to balance.
I have SPD on my mtb and I like that you can walk in the mtb shoes. I swapped out my beater road bike to SPD yesterday for a 38 mile commute because the shoes are warmer and I didn't want to backpack a pair of street shoes. At 25 miles I started developing hot spots on both feet - ouch. That's the other reason to stay with LOOK.

NOS88 10-17-06 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by fopianki
I think the main reason I was interested was the size and stability of the platform...I ride long distances such as double centuries and so I want to have the best platform to preserve the old legs...I recall that I hated the speedplays because they were so tiny it felt like I was pushing in a lollypop...my leg seemed to wobble around. Since I never tried the Looks and they seem to be pretty substantial, I thought that, even though I've been satisfied with SPDs I should see if I've been missing out on a better platform. There must be some reason that people will tolerate that uncomfortable walking shoe!!! :eek:
thanks Frankp

Never had that experience with Speedplays, but then again, I wear carbon sole shoes.

stonecrd 10-17-06 07:44 AM

I also use SPD-SL and I am very happy with them. I think for the road you will find it pretty even between Look and Shimano. In fact there is a poll in Road forum going on right now that has them dead even.

ctyler 10-17-06 11:14 AM

I have Looks on my road bike and have been riding with them for 15 years and love them. As for walking in them, you can buy cleat covers made out of rubber.

I have SPDs on my touring bike and urban bike and love them for those purposes.

big john 10-17-06 11:48 AM

I've used Look, Time, Mavic, Shimano Look-type, and various SPD types. I think the biggest difference is the shoes. If the shoes don't fit right, any pedals will suck. I now use SPDs on the road because I have found shoes that feel great, plus I can walk in them.

Garfield Cat 10-17-06 12:16 PM

The Speedplays may seem tiny lollipops but the cleats and the pedals form some kind of unity. I think that's what makes the Speedplays "not tiny". The movement that you are probably experiencing is the free play to allow the knees to move freely. For older folks or those who ride a lot of miles, its actually a benefit.

As already stated, its important to have stiff sole shoes.