Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chastized for hitting a squirrel

Yep, like many others I don’t particularly like squirrels. Maybe it’s my Mother’s efforts at bringing me up as a moral person, but I even go out of my way NOT to hit them while riding. Yesterday as I was heading home from my weekly TT ride, a squirrel is sitting about 30 yards ahead of me. I look over my shoulder for cars, see none, and veer out further into the road to avoid hitting him. Just as I get parallel to him, he darts out into the road and I clip him with my pedal. He does a flip in the air, hits the blacktop and scampers all the way across the road to the other side. I’m thinking, what a stupid little animal, when I hear two woman who are walking nearby shout out, “What’s wrong with you? Why did you hit that squirrel? That’s just cruel.” I shake my head in disbelief and hear one parting comment from the one of the two lovely creatures, “Coward!” I've got to tell you, if I ever see that particular little furry creature again we're going to have some words!
    Last edited by NOS88; 10-17-06 at 07:34 AM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Yep, like many others I donít particularly like squirrels. Maybe itís my Motherís efforts at bringing me up as a moral person, but I even go out of my way NOT to hit them while riding. Yesterday as I was heading home from my weekly TT ride, a squirrel is sitting about 30 yards ahead of me. I look over my shoulder for cars, see none, and veer out further into the road to avoid hitting him. Just as I get parallel to him, he darts out into the road and I clip him with my pedal. He does a flip in the air, hits the blacktop and scampers all the way across the road to the other side. Iím thinking, what a stupid little animal, when I here two woman who are walking nearby shout out, ďWhatís wrong with you? Why did you hit that squirrel? Thatís just cruel.Ē I shake my head in disbelief and hear one parting comment from the one of the two lovely creatures, ďCoward!Ē I've got to tell you, if I ever see that particular little furry creature again we're going to have some words!
    Maybe you need to give the squirrel a *** to even things out a bit.

This story made my morning!
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Squirels are trained from birth to evoke sympathy from small children and women. Their humble, doll like appearance, has left them portrayed by cartoonists and children's story tellers as the innocent, nut storing, precious little furry beasts of the woods.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

They steal from others, are deceptive and, knowing no better, purposely try to eat spokes on bicycles. This latter habit is what occasionally gets them all wrapped up in their meal as they try to hang on to the spoke while wedging themselves into the fork at a high speed.

They also stink real bad if they get up in the attic and die.

Never give a squirell an even break.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    humans have an unspoken agreement with squirrels and pidgeons, "they get out of our way and we overlook the whole messing on statues thing". I know its so because because I saw it on Seinfeld

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you see a squirrel up ahead, if you will hiss loudly at it, like making a really loud ppppfffffffffttt through your teeth, it will cut and run away from the sound.

Try it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Verminous rodents.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    furry-tailed rats
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Words with the squirrel? I think the squirrel got his due. I think you should have words with those two idiotic women!

My Bikes
    Oryx Hurricane 250 '04, Mongoose hybrid kamikaze commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeNinja
    Words with the squirrel? I think the squirrel got his due. I think you should have words with those two idiotic women!
    Ha, I thought that's what NOS meant when he said:

<...> I've got to tell you, if I ever see that particular little furry creature again we're going to have some words!
    nyuk nyuk nyuk

My Bikes
    Trek 750
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time aim for it. You'll probably miss.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Obviously the OP needs sensitivity training.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Cannondale Road Warrior
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    squirrels are rodents
    rats are rodents
    squirrels are rats with big furry tails.

the only squirrel I liked was Tex Avery's Screwy Squirrel.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't add to this except to say that our Native Red Squirrel is in danger of being wiped out by the Imported Grey squirrel. They carry a disease that the reds have no immunity to. As far as I am concerned- They are rodents and attempts are being made over here to cut their numbers but without great success.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    Squirels are trained from birth to evoke sympathy from small children and women. Their humble, doll like appearance, has left them portrayed by cartoonists and children's story tellers as the innocent, nut storing, precious little furry beasts of the woods.
    They lost all my sympathy when as a child I picked one up and it demonstrated very large sharp teeth which removed a section of my thumb which I can still observe today perhaps 55 years later.

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avmanansala
    the only squirrel I liked was Tex Avery's Screwy Squirrel.
    You didn't like this guy, too?

I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=NOS88]Yep, like many others I donít particularly like squirrels. Maybe itís my Motherís efforts at bringing me up as a moral person, but I even go out of my way NOT to hit them while riding.

NOS,

That tale has me laughing.
    My wife and I do a lot of rides on the Schuylkill River Trail from Betzwood down into Philly.

Last year a squirrel ran across the trail right in front of her. She tried to avoid it but ended up taking some hair off the tip of the tail. By the end of the year we figured that the squirrel had put out a contract on her. Or had a web site titled get Bev dot com. It began to look as if every squirrel and groundhog had it in for her. Then birds began to target her with droppings. Then a red shouldered hawk dropped a 3 foot garder snake two feet from her as we pedaled south out of Conshohocken one Oct. day.

Last year there were a lot of squirrels on the trail. This year there are even greater numbers.

Then from Betzwood to Oaks we sometimes have to dodge deer in the evening hours.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Whiteknight]
    Yep, like many others I donít particularly like squirrels. Maybe itís my Motherís efforts at bringing me up as a moral person, but I even go out of my way NOT to hit them while riding.

NOS,

That tale has me laughing.
    My wife and I do a lot of rides on the Schuylkill River Trail from Betzwood down into Philly.

Last year a squirrel ran across the trail right in front of her. She tried to avoid it but ended up taking some hair off the tip of the tail. By the end of the year we figured that the squirrel had put out a contract on her. Or had a web site titled get Bev dot com. It began to look as if every squirrel and groundhog had it in for her. Then birds began to target her with droppings. Then a red shouldered hawk dropped a 3 foot garder snake two feet from her as we pedaled south out of Conshohocken one Oct. day.

Last year there were a lot of squirrels on the trail. This year there are even greater numbers.

Then from Betzwood to Oaks we sometimes have to dodge deer in the evening hours.

Time for her to get a shotgun mounted on the bars.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the pilot for a new series "Cycles With Squirrels!" Starring Bike Forum's own NOS88!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteknight

I've actually had an accident with a deer running into me broadside right along that section.... headed toward Oaks, during the last tree lined section before hitting the open section with the bridge overpass. The deer there are just way too used to people for their own good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NOS,

Are you one of the regulars on the Philly Trail?

In 2005 we rode the trail 3 to 4 times a week.
    This year we had to babysit a grand-son which really cut into the rides.

My wife and I are 65 and ride a pair of Trek Navigators. The two grey haired ones riding single file on the trail.

Three weeks ago we had a ride to remember on the trail.
    Pulled out of Betzwood about 9:30 a.m. Barb's snack stand at Conshochocken had not opened so we continued towards Port Royal. Saw two women, one with a flat. Stopped and changed tubes for her and got them on their way again. Good deed for the day.
    Stoped at Manayunk for a short rest and then down into Fairmont Park. Part way down into Fairmont Park the police had the trail blocked. Had to go out onto Kelly drive. Turns out a motorcycle hit a tree and the driver was stretched out n the middle of the trail covered with a tarp. One biker told us that the accident also involved a bicycle.
    As we approach boathouse row there was an ambulance parked along the curb. An elderly African-American woman sitting on the guerney being treated for injuries to her left arm. Seems that a guy on a bicycle hit her and took off.
    A quick snack at the Hall and then on around the front of the Art Museum for a ride up the West Shore.
    As we rounded the bend down onto the Spring Garden Street bridge there was a guy stretched out on the pavement. He had come across the street on a little wheel recumbant and caught the curb at an angle. Rolled the recumbent and did in his left ankle. Both broken and dislocated. So we stuck around for the ambulance and loaded his bike into his wife's SUV.
    On up the West Shore and into Manayunk.
    Then up to Barb's at Conshohocken. Short break and explained our day to that point.
    Figured it would be a pleasant uneventful ride back up to Betzwood.
    Well! We get up close to the old movie studio converted into office space and apartments we come up behind two women on roller skates. Not in-line skates. Shoe skates like you would see in a roller rink. They were skating side by side taking up the entire width of the trail. We watched one skinny tire biker dive off the trail when they refused to move for him. Then another had to unclip from the pedals and come to a complete stop.
    So I took the lead and tried to pass them on their left. Rang my little bell. As I passed they made some nasty comments. Then when my wife went to pass she rang her bell and the one simply would not move. So my wife passed using the very edge of the teail. Then both made some nasty comments. So I wheeled around and went back. Tried to explain the trail rules of the road. Next thing the one is yelling and ranting at me and poking me with her finger. When I hauled out my big cannister of pepper spray she backed off a bit.
    We ended up following them up to the cut off into the Betzwood parking lot. As we loaded the bikes onto the car we could hear other bikers yelling at them to give way on the trail.
    I figured they got a bunch of flak from other riders and two grey haired riders were safe targets for their stupidity and anger.

On that trail we meet some super nice people and then some real jerks.

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - squirrels are tasty if prepared correctly... back when i was in college, we used to ride our 10spds out to the farmlands with our 4x-equipped .22s strapped across our backs... a bag of three or four squirrels provided for nice pot pies... clean, then change out the salt soak water over a day or so, cook in pan, then filet; next, line a pot w/bisquick... throw in some filet, flour, and milk, along with a can of Veg-All and bake... yum!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's seems to be way too many people on this forum who feel the necessity to respond to every idiot, or every idiotic comment that someone makes. It was just a stupid squirrel, they get run over all the time, and the comments made by the two woman don't deserve a response. Are we out there to ride, or are we out there to change the world?

My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last week I tried to avoid a squirrel that insisted on challenging for right of way, and it ended up darting between my front and back wheel. I had slowed to perhaps 15 kph.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hask12
    There's seems to be way too many people on this forum who feel the necessity to respond to every idiot, or every idiotic comment that someone makes. It was just a stupid squirrel, they get run over all the time, and the comments made by the two woman don't deserve a response. Are we out there to ride, or are we out there to change the world?
    This from a guy who wanted to put a bazooka on his bike?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast