I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal Best

Finally, finally hit 2,000 miles this year, but what's better is I had my best 20 mile time ever. Shaved a couple of minutes off it! Woohoo!

Such a cool, crisp day, and refreshing winds, as well. A good ride that I thoroughly enjoyed. You know, we've talked about the critters we see on the rides, but not some of the wonderful aromas, and this time of year, I love the smell of fires in people's fireplaces as I glide by their homes. A good wood burning fire is a fantastic aroma while out riding around.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that's the sort of Personal Best worth talking about. Congradulations DG. But since you live down there in SUNNY AND WARM YEAR AROUND San Diego don't you think that you ought to ride a bit more?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you.

I'm surprised they allow wood fires. They are banned here re: pollution, unless a special stove, and then you can't smell them.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you should mention "critters" there DG. As I was doing my 13 mile loop today I was watching a squirrel run back and forth across the road...not much traffic, in fact only one car to be seen in all directions...but he found it!! Just not his day I guess.

I agree on the smells of fall...I caught the aroma of a couple of wood burning fireplaces as well.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good goin' DG. Nice to mark achievements in cycling and personal bests and soak up the motivation to do more. As for Fall cycling....it may be the best. I like to watch autumn leaves going past my tires, feel crisp mornings, and that strange, seasonal experience of cycling through pockets of warm then cool air. Passing through woodsmoke smells and evening dinner smells, and the relaxed, long rides....spring mania to "get back to fitness" is over-- a good time to enjoy the fruits of having ridden through the year's cycle. And a wistfulness for riding next year and wished-for many more to come as this current year folds into itself for a rest. Maybe 50Plussers are more susceptible to these feelings for all kinds of natural reasons.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went for a very leisurely fall ride this afternoon with my two buddies. We just didn't feel like pushing it and stopped several times in 25 miles. We saw squirrels, too. And a deer resting under someone's porch. I took some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Between some people in Northern Carolina and you in the northern Sierra, I'm downright jealous as I pick my way around cowshot. Keep the pics coming.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welll done! One of the joys of not being in a car with the windows up and the AC on... the smells of your environment.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2006 Bianchi Giro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has struck me lately how much more familiar I am with the area where we live since we took up cycling. I've driven these roads in the car for years, but now I know where there's a beautiful, hidden rock formation on a nearby creek. I know where there is a patch of Johnny-jump-ups and another of kitten ears. I know which dogs look up disinterestedly as you go by and which will take out after you (like the Australian cattle dog that was interested in my ankles for breakfast yesterday morning!).

I did my first bike commute to work yesterday, leaving in the dark. Those 16 miles on back roads were almost magical! Got to say hi to a bunch of kids waiting for buses, saw a field full of white horses with a low mist hanging over, smelled the wood fires from several houses, and arrived at work with a lot more energy than usual. Just wonderful. Just need to invest in some leg warmers...
    2006 Bianchi Giro
    2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, seafoam did commute to work yesterday for the first time. Some additional facts about this ride. After being out part of August and all of September with a broken knee cap, she has only started riding again in October. Yesterday's mileage puts her yearly total (she started cycling June 30, 2006) at 1,001.54! (She doesn't know this yet...) Congratulations to my wonderful wife!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems several of us have wives we don't entirely deserve.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+ 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
    It seems several of us have wives we don't entirely deserve.
    + 1

Perhaps there should be a poll on JUST HOW UNDESERVING WE ARE?
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    + 1

If you write a poll, I can guarantee that there will be someone who will criticize whatever poll questions you may come up with!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2006 Bianchi Giro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    + 1

Fiddlesticks -- many of us (wives, that is) realize just how lucky we are! Dauphin didn't mention all the work he puts in to make my rides (and the rest of my life) so much easier. Sheesh - yesterday I had fresh air in my tires, fresh water bottles, lights for my helmet and handlebars, reflectors on everything he could think of, a hot cup of tea, he walked me to the end of our (long) driveway, etc. I thought he was going to make sure I had my lunchbox and homework before I left! I also had a phone call within 5 minutes of my arrival at work to make sure I was ok.

Of course, I have to admit that we women are pretty good at making men feel undeserving.
    2006 Bianchi Giro
    2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uh-huh, uh-huh

Quote Originally Posted by seafoam
    Of course, I have to admit that we women are pretty good at making men feel undeserving.
    and we love you for it...

When the repairman came to fix our icemaker on the fridge yesterday, I just sure my wife would get him to change the filters on the water filtration system (a system we inherited when we bought the house). When I asked her why the filters were still sitting on the counter yesterday evening after work, she said that she put them down right in front of him but he didn't respond. Seems that appliance repairmen don't want to infringe upon the plumbers' realm. When I expressed surprise that her influence had not been effective, she said "Of course I tried to get him to change the filters! Most women know how to get men to do things!"

This is the first instance I can remember where she didn't get something to happen so I felt undeserving of such a partner...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.