Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Personal Best

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Personal Best

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 05:58 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personal Best

Finally, finally hit 2,000 miles this year, but what's better is I had my best 20 mile time ever. Shaved a couple of minutes off it! Woohoo!

Such a cool, crisp day, and refreshing winds, as well. A good ride that I thoroughly enjoyed. You know, we've talked about the critters we see on the rides, but not some of the wonderful aromas, and this time of year, I love the smell of fires in people's fireplaces as I glide by their homes. A good wood burning fire is a fantastic aroma while out riding around.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-17-06, 07:37 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Now that's the sort of Personal Best worth talking about. Congradulations DG. But since you live down there in SUNNY AND WARM YEAR AROUND San Diego don't you think that you ought to ride a bit more?
Old 10-17-06, 07:39 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Good for you.

I'm surprised they allow wood fires. They are banned here re: pollution, unless a special stove, and then you can't smell them.
Old 10-17-06, 07:42 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you should mention "critters" there DG. As I was doing my 13 mile loop today I was watching a squirrel run back and forth across the road...not much traffic, in fact only one car to be seen in all directions...but he found it!! Just not his day I guess.

I agree on the smells of fall...I caught the aroma of a couple of wood burning fireplaces as well.
Old 10-17-06, 07:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good goin' DG. Nice to mark achievements in cycling and personal bests and soak up the motivation to do more. As for Fall cycling....it may be the best. I like to watch autumn leaves going past my tires, feel crisp mornings, and that strange, seasonal experience of cycling through pockets of warm then cool air. Passing through woodsmoke smells and evening dinner smells, and the relaxed, long rides....spring mania to "get back to fitness" is over-- a good time to enjoy the fruits of having ridden through the year's cycle. And a wistfulness for riding next year and wished-for many more to come as this current year folds into itself for a rest. Maybe 50Plussers are more susceptible to these feelings for all kinds of natural reasons.
Old 10-17-06, 08:06 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I went for a very leisurely fall ride this afternoon with my two buddies. We just didn't feel like pushing it and stopped several times in 25 miles. We saw squirrels, too. And a deer resting under someone's porch. I took some pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2887 r.jpg (83.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_2884r.jpg (87.1 KB, 11 views)
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 10-17-06, 08:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Between some people in Northern Carolina and you in the northern Sierra, I'm downright jealous as I pick my way around cowshot. Keep the pics coming.
Old 10-17-06, 08:58 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welll done! One of the joys of not being in a car with the windows up and the AC on... the smells of your environment.
Old 10-18-06, 09:53 AM
On the road again!

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2006 Bianchi Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has struck me lately how much more familiar I am with the area where we live since we took up cycling. I've driven these roads in the car for years, but now I know where there's a beautiful, hidden rock formation on a nearby creek. I know where there is a patch of Johnny-jump-ups and another of kitten ears. I know which dogs look up disinterestedly as you go by and which will take out after you (like the Australian cattle dog that was interested in my ankles for breakfast yesterday morning!).

I did my first bike commute to work yesterday, leaving in the dark. Those 16 miles on back roads were almost magical! Got to say hi to a bunch of kids waiting for buses, saw a field full of white horses with a low mist hanging over, smelled the wood fires from several houses, and arrived at work with a lot more energy than usual. Just wonderful. Just need to invest in some leg warmers...
Old 10-18-06, 11:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, seafoam did commute to work yesterday for the first time. Some additional facts about this ride. After being out part of August and all of September with a broken knee cap, she has only started riding again in October. Yesterday's mileage puts her yearly total (she started cycling June 30, 2006) at 1,001.54! (She doesn't know this yet...) Congratulations to my wonderful wife!
Old 10-18-06, 01:53 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
It seems several of us have wives we don't entirely deserve.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 10-18-06, 02:53 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1

Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
It seems several of us have wives we don't entirely deserve.
+ 1

Perhaps there should be a poll on JUST HOW UNDESERVING WE ARE?
Old 10-18-06, 03:22 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
+ 1

If you write a poll, I can guarantee that there will be someone who will criticize whatever poll questions you may come up with!
Old 10-18-06, 03:29 PM
On the road again!

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 2006 Bianchi Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by centexwoody
+ 1

Fiddlesticks -- many of us (wives, that is) realize just how lucky we are! Dauphin didn't mention all the work he puts in to make my rides (and the rest of my life) so much easier. Sheesh - yesterday I had fresh air in my tires, fresh water bottles, lights for my helmet and handlebars, reflectors on everything he could think of, a hot cup of tea, he walked me to the end of our (long) driveway, etc. I thought he was going to make sure I had my lunchbox and homework before I left! I also had a phone call within 5 minutes of my arrival at work to make sure I was ok.

Of course, I have to admit that we women are pretty good at making men feel undeserving.
Old 10-18-06, 04:37 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uh-huh, uh-huh

Originally Posted by seafoam
Of course, I have to admit that we women are pretty good at making men feel undeserving.
and we love you for it...

When the repairman came to fix our icemaker on the fridge yesterday, I just sure my wife would get him to change the filters on the water filtration system (a system we inherited when we bought the house). When I asked her why the filters were still sitting on the counter yesterday evening after work, she said that she put them down right in front of him but he didn't respond. Seems that appliance repairmen don't want to infringe upon the plumbers' realm. When I expressed surprise that her influence had not been effective, she said "Of course I tried to get him to change the filters! Most women know how to get men to do things!"

This is the first instance I can remember where she didn't get something to happen so I felt undeserving of such a partner...