Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: B-17 on MTB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B-17 on MTB

I put a Brooks B-17 on my new Specialized Hardrock Sport. The stock saddle was actually pretty good after dialing in, but the Brooks is BLISS! I decided to try a Brooks when I realized that the posture is not all that different from my "Frankenbike" commuter (I have a B-17 Narrow on my commuter road bike).

The quick release Topeak baggie bracket didn't fit the B-17 so I had to fabricate a different one. When I was tapping holes in the new bracket, I was surprised to find that the allen head machine screws were 10X32 and not metric. Are they made in USA?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know about the screws, but I had a B-17 on my MB for awhile, and I really liked it. Only reason I took it off is that we had a rainy winter (typical annual precip here is only about 6 inches, but one year we got almost 18). Proofhide it up good, top and bottom, and use a cover and maybe fenders if you ride in the wet.

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All my bikes wear leather. I just bought an old Trek 930 that I'm tearing down to re-fit. It'll end up with a new Champion Flyer (B17 with springs).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm
    All my bikes wear leather.
    Bikes? Leather?

cs1
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Diego
    Bikes? Leather?
    Looks like a Shovel Head. What kind model is it? My brother has a 92 FXDB Daytona and I have a 2003 FXDL. Gotta admit that is mighty nice leather though.

Tim
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to choose?

Quote Originally Posted by bravozulu
    I put a Brooks B-17 on my new Specialized Hardrock Sport. The stock saddle was actually pretty good after dialing in, but the Brooks is BLISS! I decided to try a Brooks when I realized that the posture is not all that different from my "Frankenbike" commuter (I have a B-17 Narrow on my commuter road bike).
    So how did you know to choose between a B-17 and B-17 Narrow?

And other posters have said they have the spring-loaded Champion Flyers.

So how did you know which Brooks to get? I find nothing about 'sizing' or other ways of knowing whether a Brooks is appropriate to certain riding styles, size of riders, etc. on the web. Just lots of gushing approval of the Brooks saddles.

I've got a new Surly LHT set up & am thinking of a Brooks saddle but it seems as though one simply has to buy one and try it to know if it is an appropriate saddle for one's riding style...no test rides possible so far as I can see...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It pretty much comes down to your sitting position on the bike. Upright seating calls for springs and more width. More forward lean with handlebars below seat height calls for narrower.
    Look around the Rivendell and Wallbike sites and you'll probably find some discussion of which seats work for different applications.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.