Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

C-dale Road Warrior, anyone?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts

Quick question: any 50+ers with substantial experience on a 'Dale Road Warrior (the current ones w/Optimo frame)? This bike series looks really interesting to me, but will have a hard time finding a test ride up here. Benchmark for 'flatbar road' right now (for me) is Trek 7.7fx - rode it/loved it, but it's spendy! Just looking for informed comment on options. Cheers.
Old 11-04-06, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not familiar with the current model, but I own a 2002 Road Warrior 700 and I love it. It rides you in a little more of an upright position but for me that's fine.
Old 11-04-06, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Hask12
I'm not familiar with the current model, but I own a 2002 Road Warrior 700 and I love it. It rides you in a little more of an upright position but for me that's fine.
Cheers, mate; all comment is informative, as the concept has remained (relatively) the same on this series. I guess I'm looking at 'flat-bar road' (been waffling around this for a year or so, contra 'slicked' mtb [getting 'tired' of it]), but want a frame (like the current 'Dales) that's tweaked for the flat-bar set up (i.e. slightly longer t/t and front centre) and tire clearance (up to min. 32). Tried Giant FCR/Spec. Sirrus - don't like 'em: frame either is (FCR) or is too close (Sirrus) to a geometry for drop bars. Really like the Trek FX (7.6 and up) ride, but perhaps a little too 'hybridish' -- looking for something 'in between'.
Old 11-04-06, 03:43 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Quick question: any 50+ers with substantial experience on a 'Dale Road Warrior (the current ones w/Optimo frame)? This bike series looks really interesting to me, but will have a hard time finding a test ride up here. Benchmark for 'flatbar road' right now (for me) is Trek 7.7fx - rode it/loved it, but it's spendy! Just looking for informed comment on options. Cheers.
I'm not a 50+er, more like a 30+er but I do have an '06 C'dale Road Warrior 500. I looked very closely at the C'dale, Specialized Sirrus Comp, Trek 7.5FX and a couple of others but in the end it came down to two, the RW500 and the Sirrus Comp. The RW500 won out for me.

Mine is basically stock with the exception of the addition of Armadillo tires (slow but oh so puncture resistant), bar ends and some Shimano SPD clipless pedals. I take it out mostly on weekends (the only time I really have to ride) and ride anywhere from 10-25 miles a day; basicially 45-90 minutes. No problems with the bike or hand positions.

Haven't had it very long (bought mine in mid August) and have just over 300 miles. YMMV.

Regards,
Anthony
Old 11-05-06, 08:57 AM

Thanks all for the informative replies; Avmanansala: given that you've had time/some decent rides on the RW500, have you found it (relatively) comfortable/smooth riding over decent-length rides? In other words (just asking for an informed guess!) would you think that an old (55) but "very fit for my age" git like me, without any back issues, would find it rideable? Hand positions (i.e. w/flat bars) are not an issue; like you, I would fit bar ends straight off -- I'm doing 3 -4,000 kms/year at present on a slicked mtb w/bar ends, and don't need or want (given that I'm in city traffic a lot) drop bars. Sorry for going on about this, but these are the kinds of questions that test-rides just can't answer - and, as you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a sucker for Cannondale aesthetically, and kinda leaning that way!
Old 11-05-06, 08:48 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Thanks all for the informative replies; Avmanansala: given that you've had time/some decent rides on the RW500, have you found it (relatively) comfortable/smooth riding over decent-length rides? In other words (just asking for an informed guess!) would you think that an old (55) but "very fit for my age" git like me, without any back issues, would find it rideable? Hand positions (i.e. w/flat bars) are not an issue; like you, I would fit bar ends straight off -- I'm doing 3 -4,000 kms/year at present on a slicked mtb w/bar ends, and don't need or want (given that I'm in city traffic a lot) drop bars. Sorry for going on about this, but these are the kinds of questions that test-rides just can't answer - and, as you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a sucker for Cannondale aesthetically, and kinda leaning that way!
I would say that it is very comfortable to ride. Once I got past the saddle sores (I hadn't ridden in years) and purchased some proper kit to wear, I found the bike to be very comfortable, even at the end of a long (for me, anyways) ride.

I had exchanges some emails with a person who also considered purchasing a Cannondale Road Warrior. She looked at the 800 and ultimately ended with an '07 RW500 in Race Red. She had some back issues (a herniated disk, if I recall). Last time we communicated, she loved the bike and found it to be very comfortable. If you do buy it, just make sure it fits.

Like you, I'm a Cannondale fan.

Regards,
Anthony
Old 11-05-06, 11:00 PM
Peddler

Bikes: Cannondale Road Warrior 800 & H400

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is a RW800, now with a full and a half riding seasons on it. Rides vary in length, most 20 to 45 miles over country roads or urban bike paths. Even with flat handlebar and bar ends, it feels more like a road bike (lighter, more nimble) than my previous C'dale hybrid (H400).

Only modification was to add a rear rack.

It's a good frame for longer rides; for city commuting the H400 seemed better.
Old 11-06-06, 07:07 AM

Once again, thanks everyone for the very helpful replies!! Can't see fit being an issue; I'm obsessive about this anyway, and as it happens the current RW 'medium' will pretty much mimic my current 'roadified' hardtail set-up; agree about 'city commuting,' Seamless, but as you can probably tell a slightly better orientation toward longer rides, but still with commuting suitability, is exactly the shift in balance I'm looking for. Running one bike, as I do, is always a matter of making the best compromises re. the intended use. Again, thanks all! Cheers.