I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cycling, Glasses, and Sunshine

Okay here's the deal. I have a nasty eye infection, I have to wear glasses instead of contacts, and for the next several days at least, I'm putting eye drops into the infected eye once an hour.

Once this heals, I'll probably go back to the contacts but I won't be wearing them overnight again, according to the Doc. (And btw, he does lasik but suggested we hold off a bit talking about that -- not like i have the $$$, but whatever).

So I have to wear glasses. And right now, when I'm outside, I also wear an eyepatch under the glasses because the light hurts so bad I can't hardly stand it. But sooner or later, the patch will be unnecessary. My question is: what about sunglass protection? I don't really want to spend more $$$ getting prescription sunglasses since I hope this is temporary, but I also don't want to wear those Granny sunglasses that go over everything and make me look like I should be driving a Buick.

Ew, does this mean clip-ons? Ewwww!

As you can see, I'm thinking out loud but I'm having trouble climbing outside the box. Any other ideas for temporary solutions to this? I'm missing some of the most beautiful cycling weather of the YEAR!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are "fitovers" that don't look groteque and don't cost much. I had a pair of polarized Foster Grant drugstore fitovers for several years I used for flyfishing and biking.

My current prescription glasses came with these nifty matching dedicated polarized clip-ons that attach by means of small, powerful magnets. Very cool.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Gary,
    As in my previous post.The leather slit-goggles,used to prevent snow blindness.
    You know,the ones Commander Bird wore when he discovered the North Pole or South Pole,...or some pole.By the way,those " cateract sunglasses",or "Jackie O "glasses are the current rage with young women now.You could be a cylcling fashion vangard!
    On a serious note,use an non-expensive ultrasonic cleaner to clean those contacts at night.Those 24hr. contacts seem to be a breeding ground for eye-ulcers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to some of the clunky looking fit-over glasses, maybe you'll see something you can live with
    for a few weeks. At least they're cheap.
    I've purchased from this company before (for actual industrial safety glasses) and they were ok.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/fiovrxgl.html

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep Gary, its clip ons for you. I am already laughing at your new-found nerdiness
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, Gary, Gary......... you are past the time to worry about style. Stop sucking in your gut when a pretty girl walks by, you aren't fooling anyone. Break out the white belt, put on some white socks and your nicest pair of sandals and your clip-on sunglasses and go for a ride.
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren't you worried about the eye patch screwing up your depth perception, periferal vision, etc? Just a thought...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milt
    Aren't you worried about the eye patch screwing up your depth perception, periferal vision, etc? Just a thought...
    Yeah, but I don't think I'll need the patch for more than a couple of days. I'll hold off riding until then.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    Gary, Gary, Gary......... you are past the time to worry about style. Stop sucking in your gut when a pretty girl walks by, you aren't fooling anyone. Break out the white belt, put on some white socks and your nicest pair of sandals and your clip-on sunglasses and go for a ride.

You mean I can break out my powder blue leisure suit? Or my cream colored Nehru jacket and the "gold" medallion?
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    Yep Gary, its clip ons for you. I am already laughing at your new-found nerdiness

Appreciate the support, how...
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clip-ons are cool bro. Because they work. And they are .... uhhhhhh..... cheap!
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno - and can't see why you have such a hang up over clip-on shades. I was out riding on a particularly bright day . . . stopped at a run down convenience store and picked up a "pair" of clip-on polarized shades for $1.00 (clerk reduced the price because they were dusty). They may have looked dorky, but they worked fine.

Went to one of our franchise vendors (Lens Crafters) a couple of weeks later and purchased a proper set of clip ons for $25.00. They fit my glasses better, but are less capable of light attenuation. They are also polarized and look good enough that most casual observers would not notice that I am wearing them.

I say, for goodness sakes (and for the sake of your vision), use whatever you need to be able to get back on that bike and pound out some miles.

It appears that you and your doctor have your underlying problems under control, so, I say, heartily, that you should go for it!

Do what you need in the short term and forgo style to achieve function.

Good luck!

Caruso

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just put some of those fantastic San Diego margaritas in your water bottle and you will quickly stop caring about looks.....
    Ride your Ride!!

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    You mean I can break out my powder blue leisure suit? Or my cream colored Nehru jacket and the "gold" medallion?
    Hey, I had one of those when I was 15. My dad had a matching jacket...man they were hideous, now that I look back.

Before I got my prescription sunglasses, I bought a really nifty set of sunglasses from Bike Nashbar. They had three different lense colors in them, dark green, yellow and clear. The lenses were a snap (literally) to change, so I wore the greens during the day, and the yellows when I rode at night.

I suppose you should go with whatever will protect and reduce the strain on your eye, and be damed the vanity. I hope your infection goes away soon.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

Ain't Easy Being Cheesy CheeseLouise's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Comp :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Okay here's the deal. I have a nasty eye infection, I have to wear glasses instead of contacts, and for the next several days at least, I'm putting eye drops into the infected eye once an hour.

Once this heals, I'll probably go back to the contacts but I won't be wearing them overnight again, according to the Doc. (And btw, he does lasik but suggested we hold off a bit talking about that -- not like i have the $$$, but whatever).

So I have to wear glasses. And right now, when I'm outside, I also wear an eyepatch under the glasses because the light hurts so bad I can't hardly stand it. But sooner or later, the patch will be unnecessary. My question is: what about sunglass protection? I don't really want to spend more $$$ getting prescription sunglasses since I hope this is temporary, but I also don't want to wear those Granny sunglasses that go over everything and make me look like I should be driving a Buick.

Ew, does this mean clip-ons? Ewwww!

As you can see, I'm thinking out loud but I'm having trouble climbing outside the box. Any other ideas for temporary solutions to this? I'm missing some of the most beautiful cycling weather of the YEAR!

Sun glasses???? What is Sun????
    "Bike First"
    "Work Later"

2006 Specialized Ruby Comp
    www.bikenaked.net