Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Batteries...............

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Batteries...............

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Batteries...............

This morning I had to replace the batteries in my 'Clicker' with the only spares that I had...batteries from a headlight that I bought last year which has a terrible beam.

Anyway, as I pondered getting more batteries I thought I should start using rechargables and wondered what my options are and if anyone here has any favorites?

My need is for AA and AAA units.
Old 10-15-06, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
NiMH batteries are the best option for rechargables. Just make sure you buy the latest or high capacity models. 2500+mAh is the latest offerings for NiMH "AA" batteries and 900mAh for "AAA" batteries. Seems every few months higher capacity batteries are introduced...which is good for consumers and the prices are about the same as older models/batteries. Here's a link that shows various brands and chargers: https://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html
And a link to a comparison test with run times: https://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM
Old 10-15-06, 02:47 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One of the problems with recharchables is that they are 1.2volts instead of the 1.5 of normal batteries. May not sound a great deal- but if you use 4 batteries- instead of delivering 6 volts, you only get 4.8V. This can affect the power of the light- or the life you get out of the batteries so Instead of just using 4 batteries- think of carrying and extra set with you- just in case the 4.8 affects the life of the baterries.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-15-06, 03:48 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use NiMh AA and AAA batteries for a number of things [including blinkies]. They don't work for my helmet cam and I use NiMh, NiCD, and Li-ion battery packs for my lights. The 2500mah and 1000mah AA/AAA batteries I've recently purchased are:
https://www.ledshoppe.com/Product/hou/HE1009.htm
Old 10-15-06, 04:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Batteries..........

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone have a favorite brand and/or a favorite place to buy the batteries and/or chargers?
Old 10-15-06, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's a special free accessory package deal on the MAHA/PowerEx MH-C204W Charger:
https://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...arger-buy.php3
$29.97 and only $2.99 shipping today only (10/15/2006) plus travel storage bag, battery holder and tester. It's a good deal for a good charger.

Lightning Pack 4000N, https://www.ripvan100.com/products_recharger.htm , is another excellent charger and it only costs $24.95 plus shipping. Some prefer this charger since it is one of the faster rapid chargers (2-3 hours).

Can do a search for NiMH battery charger and choose the brand with the specs you want. Most National Chains (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc etc) carry name brand NiMH batteries (usually a 4-pack "AA") that includes a charger and run about $20.00-25.00. But usually those combo packs include slightly lower capacity (2050 mAh) batteries.

As far as battery brands, I usually buy "AA" Kodak MAX 2500mAh, Energizer 2500mAh, or Duracell 2500mAh, but will buy/try other brands when they are on sale or are higher rated. No experience with "AAA" NiMH batteries since the Duracell alkalines work and last reasonably well for my needs.
Old 10-16-06, 09:21 AM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes rechargeable batteries are a poor choice. A prime example is the lowly blinkie. 200 hours on alkaline batteries is typical. Most rechargeable batteries will need recharging even if not used due to self-discharge. It may cost you more in the long run to use rechargeable batteries in a blinkie than using disposable alkaline batteries. Another choice to consider is the 1.5-volt AA and AAA lithium "camera" batteries. These batteries have 7 times the amp-hour capacity of alkaline batteries and maintain 1.5-volts each until complete discharge occurs. Another problem with typical rechargeable batteries is the difference in voltage. Alkaline batteries are 1.5-volts and your typical rechargeable is 1.2-volts. If your device is setup to use 1.5-volt batteries you may have a problem using 1.2-volt rechargeable batteries in that device. Modern LED lights have control circuits that shut down the LED at the point where 1.5-volt batteries are discharged. This voltage is much higher than the discharge voltage of 1.2-volt rechargeable batteries.
Old 10-23-06, 03:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on Thomas Distributing